Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2021, 06:06 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
Just curious, does Fidelity list the MYGA as one of your holdings in your TIRA? Or was the money simply withdrawn and you don't see it when you logon to Fidelity?
I see the MYGA in the holdings summary page, but it is listed separately outside the irrevocable trust, even though it is technically still in the trust.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I see the MYGA in the holdings summary page, but it is listed separately outside the irrevocable trust, even though it is technically still in the trust.
Thanks. If only Fidelity would also sell MYGAs from insurers with AM Best ratings in the Good and Excellent category. I think they currently only sell from insurers with Superior ratings.
catotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
Thanks. If only Fidelity would also sell MYGAs from insurers with AM Best ratings in the Good and Excellent category. I think they currently only sell from insurers with Superior ratings.
Unfortunately that is correct. I think there are 3 current insurers they use.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

They are "protecting" their customers...that is why my tIRA is no longer at Fido. Just a couple small HSAs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I agree but it seems that Fido isn’t too interested in offering MYGA choices. Brokered CDs are lousy also. They don’t have a problem letting folks load up on risky trades, though.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Blueprint Income, my favorite MYGA portal has been acquired by Mass Mutual. They claim that BI will continue to maintain their brand and operate independently within MM. Although I have no direct experience with MM, I do have a favorable impression of them. I can’t recall positively, but I do believe MM was already offering their products on the Blueprint Income portal so it’ll be interesting to see how their products are offered alongside their competition.

Generally speaking I continue to be very pleased with the Americo 5 yr MYGA I purchased in Dec. One minor complaint… the Blueprint Income account summary shows no interest posted monthly or quarterly so far. No big deal I guess. I was planning to take advantage of the 10% free withdrawal feature on the anniversary but now I’m thinking I have access to funds earning less than this MYGA.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I also have positive experience with Blueprint Income. I didn't know it's been acquired by MM. It'll be interesting how it changes BI offerings especially MYGA
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Starting MYGA Investment
Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Starting MYGA Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
I also have positive experience with Blueprint Income. I didn't know it's been acquired by MM. It'll be interesting how it changes BI offerings especially MYGA

Do you know how/ when nterest is credited to the account? May depend on the actual annuity company.

Edit: just scheduled a call to ask about this. Will update post after the call.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Had my call with Bluprint Income today. They say MYGA interest for Americo accrues daily but I can only see the interest credits if I have account access at Americo. I really don’t want another password/user ID right now so I’m gonna ignore it. At least it’s not some goofy scheme that only posts once per yr.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:10 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a MYGA through Oceanview Insurance. We locked in July 2020 for 3 years at 3%. The company was so swamped with applications and cash it took almost 2 months to issue the contract.
This was done to fund my 1st 3 years of retirement income needs at my anticipated retirement time. This also delays drawing SS until age 68.
I will check out the BI products mentioned here for future “CD like” needs. Interesting that they were acquired by Mass Mutual.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:41 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
I have a MYGA through Oceanview Insurance. We locked in July 2020 for 3 years at 3%. The company was so swamped with applications and cash it took almost 2 months to issue the contract.
This was done to fund my 1st 3 years of retirement income needs at my anticipated retirement time. This also delays drawing SS until age 68.
I will check out the BI products mentioned here for future “CD like” needs. Interesting that they were acquired by Mass Mutual.
Wife's MYGA was a few months earlier with a bit higher rate, but also took a couple of months to complete. I guess there was a lot of interest (excuse the expression) in these vehicles due to other rates dropping like a rock. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I’m pretty sure Oceanview is one of the products offered by Blueprint income.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Just applied for a 2nd MYGA through Blueprint Income. This one is B++ rated and pays 3.15 for 5yrs with no free early withdrawals. This contract is tiny since I decided to increase equity allocation with funds from maturing NASA FCU CD. Had I stayed with the A rated product I purchased last year, the rate was 2.8.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Just applied for a 2nd MYGA through Blueprint Income. This one is B++ rated and pays 3.15 for 5yrs with no free early withdrawals. This contract is tiny since I decided to increase equity allocation with funds from maturing NASA FCU CD. Had I stayed with the A rated product I purchased last year, the rate was 2.8.
Curious if you ran into a sliding scale. DW's MYGA had to be 100K or she earned less in interest. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Curious if you ran into a sliding scale. DW's MYGA had to be 100K or she earned less in interest. YMMV

Not for this product. The Blueprint Income website specifies any rate bands in the product details summary along with minimums, etc
Old 12-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Question I have for those with MYGA'a funded within an IRA account:

When the MGYA matures, and you elect NOT to renew it, can the funds remain in the IRA (both principal and interest made) and not taxed as ordinary until you decide to pull them out?
Old 12-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Question I have for those with MYGA'a funded within an IRA account:

When the MGYA matures, and you elect NOT to renew it, can the funds remain in the IRA (both principal and interest made) and not taxed as ordinary until you decide to pull them out?
My SPDAs (rough equivalent of today's MYGA's) are Roth IRAs. When the SPDA's matured - essentially defaulting to a guaranteed % "interest" level, there was NO requirement to take the money out. All continued as before, except the interest rate which dropped from a high of 11% down to 4.5% (that was a LONG time ago.)

Not sure about MYGA's, but I can't see a company insisting that you withdraw the money. The conditions (interest rate) might change, but your MYGA early-withdrawal penalties would have expired. Should be just like a "bank account" at that point but YMMV.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My SPDAs (rough equivalent of today's MYGA's) are Roth IRAs. When the SPDA's matured - essentially defaulting to a guaranteed % "interest" level, there was NO requirement to take the money out. All continued as before, except the interest rate which dropped from a high of 11% down to 4.5% (that was a LONG time ago.)

Not sure about MYGA's, but I can't see a company insisting that you withdraw the money. The conditions (interest rate) might change, but your MYGA early-withdrawal penalties would have expired. Should be just like a "bank account" at that point but YMMV.
Yes, this makes sense but it's not clear on the site I am looking at for purchase of a MGYA in my IRA. I'm sure they can't tell me I have to withdraw the principal and interest and take it out of the IRA on maturity. When I talk with an agent, I want him to tell me that.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:10 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

AFAIK, I can leave the IRA MYGA in tact at maturity. Many details are not available until you commit and actually receive the contract, but you could call and ask for details (in writing, preferably). There is a free look/cancellation period of 30 days or so. For my 1st purchase last year the rate drops to 1% which is not bad in today’s environment. Could be unattractive in 4 yrs, though. So at maturity I can renew at the rate in effect at that time, swap into a new contract or leave it alone and take the default rate. Subject to RMD, of course and there is an upper age limit for issuance of these products.