Join Early Retirement Today

Starting MYGA Investment
Old 11-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Starting MYGA Investment

Iím leaning towards using a MYGA ladder to replace my 5% PenFed CDs that mature in Jan. These CD-like annuity contracts are paying 2.4-3.0 % for 3-5 yr terms from issuers rated B+ or better. The Blueprintincome site has a lot of good info. Today I learned that many of these products have a rate lock feature. I can apply and lock in todayís rates and get 45 days to fund the account. The way rates are dropping thatís a great feature. Iím going to schedule a call to discuss the mechanics of setting up the investment this week.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yep, currently a nice substitute for CD's, if leaving them to maturity.
The question is if a 2008 scenario still develops, will the ratings on these companies be effectively overstated and thus exposing risk to principal?
Old 11-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

I have one and I'm happy with my purchase of it, however, the early redemption fees are draconian. Careful with the amount you put in and the duration in order to make sure you can leave it until maturity. Mine doesn't have a rate lock, but it does have the ability to take the income each year. Just can't touch the principle. I'm good with that and will probably just leave it and let it compound.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I donít think any of these investments failed in Ď08. If so I believe the state guarantee fund wouldíve come to the rescue. You could stick to higher rated insurers and/or spread your investment among several insurance companies. If we do go thru some catastrophic period that causes ratings to crater I think it means my risk is elevated but my return is fixed.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Be sure to ask about the FREE 10% withdrawal each year. It gives you a chance to spread out the the interest earned yearly. I am getting 3.92 percent on MYGA and not sure i want to take the free withdrawal since there is no where to go to make any money.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

opened a small MYGA with blueprint under Americo 5 yr term at 3.05%. Process took 2 weeks but rate was locked. Good experience so far. Plan to purchase few more
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

A little more risk, but there are numerous investment grade rated preferreds that pay more. Vanguard's Preferred Stock Screener shows 36 issues that are investment grade by both Moody's and S&P that have yields-to-worst of 3.5% or more. The Y-T-W of those 36 issues range from 3.56-4.96% and average 4.04%. YMMV.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/StocksScreenerSec

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DW got hers by trading from an insurance policy that had a huge amount of cash value (due to its internal investment.) She likes the idea of knowing what it would be earning. I was sort of ho-hum on it because she'd been doing so well within the insurance contract. BUT, if mamma's happy.... YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I applied for the A rated Americo MYGA today at Blueprint Income. It's 5 yrs @3.05% I was looking for a 4-7 yr ladder but Americo just has a 5 yr, some other lower rated providers were not competitive IMO, and I did not want multiple new accounts anyway.
I was waiting for Jan when my CDs mature but I think rates may go down by then and I have a chunk in a MM so I decided not to wait. The application through Blueprint Income is pretty good so far. I had a call with them a couple of weeks ago to answer some questions but everything else is online/email. It is a little different from buying a CD.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Itís not like buying a CD. I submitted an application but it has not been approved. The issuer requires some financial disclosure to assess suitability I guess. I donít think they would approve if I was using up all my liquid assets for this purchase. Once they approve the application the rate gets locked and there is a window to fund. Iím very impressed with Blueprint income. I am working with the Co-founder. He says the issuer (Amerco) is picky and experiencing delays in processing new applications so it could be 30 days or more before the annuity is funded. Itís another instance where I believe it would be more efficient to have the current custodian (Fido) issue a check made payable to the annuity provider (FBO jazz4cash) since it is an IRA. Maybe next time.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am following this informative thread
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
I am following this informative thread
To follow a thread, you can go to "Thread Tools" near the top of this page, towards the right-hand side. Click on it, and a menu will drop down. Then click on "Subscribe to this Thread".

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok thanks, will do.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

One of the things I like about the Blueprint Income site is the transparency they provide. Thanks to the member here that first posted a link to Blueprint Income. I posted earlier that they will lock in your rate when you submit an application. I noticed that a few of the MYGA products were flagged for rates that were going to be lowered. Two days ago my rep told me that they generally get notified a week or two before a rate change and they had not been notified for the product I am buying. Today I see the Americo 5 yr MYGA is flagged and the rate will be dropping from 3.05 to 2.50. They also disclose that the 3.05 rate has been in effect since Oct 5th. My gamble on not waiting for my Penfed CD's to mature in Jan is working out in my favor. I am still waiting for final approval and funding, though.

EDIT: Actually the rate will drop on 12/5 (Saturday) so I guess the info about getting notified a week or two in advance is not accurate 100% of the time. i'm thinking they had a lot of
demand and their rate was well above even lower rated insurers. I see retired1 bought the same MYGA a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Blueprint Income advised that the insurer has reviewed my application and assigned a policy number. Next step is a suitability review (3-5 days) followed by sending transfer request to Fido. Whew. Glad I got locked before the rate drop.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Not meaning to dominate this thread but suspect the topic is of interest to many so Iím gonna throw in more chum....

I mentioned the transparency of the Blueprint Income but Stan the Annuity Man and immediateannuities.com are good also. Blueprint states their commission in the product details as 1.5% for the 5yr contract I applied for. Still waiting for final approval. Not sure how to think about that but Iím choosing to evaluate it as 1.5%/5yrs=0.30% annual expense. Thatís consistent with my idea of a low cost investment. Interesting since I am not aware of too many benchmarks for cost on fixed income expenses.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Finally received the annuity contract in the mail. Its about 60 pages long! I have a 20 day free look period before I am locked into this contract. It was a bit under 4 weeks to fund the contract and another month to deliver contract. It's not too complicated but it's still confusing and I have to call them to confirm my beneficiary designation since it is not stated anywhere on this paperwork. i don't see info about the free withdrawals either. I am going to try to actually read this thing at least once. Overall very satisfied.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #18
gone traveling

Sorry, came in late on this thread. Terminology definitions please! "MYGA"? I deduce it is "something something guaranteed annuity", but definition at start for us newbies would have helped. Is it maybe "multi year guaranteed annuity? Or?
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Sorry, came in late on this thread. Terminology definitions please! "MYGA"? I deduce it is "something something guaranteed annuity", but definition at start for us newbies would have helped. Is it maybe "multi year guaranteed annuity? Or?
Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity.
We still have some that were called SPDA (Single Premium Deferred Annuity). I think they are virtually the same thing. The one DW took out a year ago is, I think, the MYGA. I think of them as a higher yielding but more restrictive (AND less guaranteed) Certificate of Deposit. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote