Join Early Retirement Today

Steps to Trade on Foreign Exchanges
Old 03-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #1

Steps to Trade on Foreign Exchanges

Is it feasible for a US person to trade on exchanges outside the US?

I was wondering specifically about EURONEXT Paris because I wanted to place a small bet. But of course if it's too much of a pain, I'd abandon the idea.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Is it feasible for a US person to trade on exchanges outside the US?

I was wondering specifically about EURONEXT Paris because I wanted to place a small bet. But of course if it's too much of a pain, I'd abandon the idea.
I’m not aware of any US law that bars you from having an account with a broker in another country. The local laws and regulations would determine your eligibility along with any requirements, such as a local bank account.

My guess is this would be more difficult than opening a domestic brokerage account, and fees are likely to be higher.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

US brokerages provide for trading stocks on foreign exchanges. Of course, there will be commissions/fees involved which will vary from broker to broker. Commission free trading offered by brokerages would very likely not apply to shares on foreign exchanges.

Review the info at the following links for discussion of what Fidelity offers.

https://www.fidelity.com/stock-tradi...-stock-trading

https://www.fidelity.com/stock-tradi...-international
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

Some years ago I did a good bit of trading on foreign exchanges in my Fidelity account. They handle it easily.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #5

Thanks, all. Who knew it would be that easy. I clicked the link "sign-up for international stock trading" from one of the links above, and I was off to the races! $19 buck trades, but I don't expect to be in and out of things, just an interesting side-bet that I might make. Still need to find and read the financials. Hopefully they have a version in English.
No Automated Trading in IRA
Old 03-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

No Automated Trading in IRA

I knew it couldn't be that easy, hehehe!

When I went in and signed up for international stock trading, I thought it was legit for all accounts, but I noticed the only "eligible" accounts were the taxable account, and the HSA. Then later, when I called the international trading desk, the guy said "I don't know why the programmers included HSA type accounts...that won't work". So basically I was down to my after tax account (which has a grand total of $6.65, hehe!).

But if I wanted to trade internationals in my Roth, he said he could give me estimates of prices now, or I could call back when both the US and European markets were open, and I could buy the individual stock.

Lots of fees. Currency exchange fee seemed like a rip off at 1%. Then there are taxes of 0.3%, and the 19 euro commission. Seemed like there were more fees too (I wasn't taking notes). For my situation, I'd be making a long-term "bet" on what I think might be a promising company. It could go way up, or go bust, so it would be a tiny position in relation to my overall portfolio.