Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I sold DIS at the start of the pandemic for $129 and felt good when it dropped to $95. My has it rebounded. Parks closed, cruises closed and it rallies? Disney+ isn't that great a money maker to compensate for the other segments imo.
Sigh. I did this with a bunch of stocks. I even had an $80 limit order out there for DIS until recently. Lots of stuff rocketed past me on its way up to these new record levels.

Once I got back to 65% stocks, I’ve really cut back on buying anything close to its 52w or all time high. It takes a good dip percentage for me to pick up any of the fast growing ones. That said, I probably haven’t captured enough profit from certain positions. That is going to change once my portfolio gets settled into its new brokerage next week. Hope stuff stays stable until then. Crossing fingers, knocking wood :-/
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVplusDog View Post
Sigh. I did this with a bunch of stocks. I even had an $80 limit order out there for DIS until recently. Lots of stuff rocketed past me on its way up to these new record levels.

Once I got back to 65% stocks, I’ve really cut back on buying anything close to its 52w or all time high. It takes a good dip percentage for me to pick up any of the fast growing ones. That said, I probably haven’t captured enough profit from certain positions. That is going to change once my portfolio gets settled into its new brokerage next week. Hope stuff stays stable until then. Crossing fingers, knocking wood :-/
I have a bunch of psychological, negative, quirks in my investing that I have tried to identify and compensate for over the years.

One of them is that I am a bargain hunter, which makes it difficult for me to buy things that are up a lot or hitting new highs. This quirk has cost me a lot of money over the years. Why? Because stocks that are hitting new highs tend to continue doing so, and stocks that have gone down (i.e. are "bargains"), continue to do so.

Some of my biggest winners (% wise) over the last few months have been stocks hitting new highs that are up big time from the March lows. But it has taken great effort on my part to hit the buy key on them.

The thing I've learned about stock picking, investing, and trading is that NO ONE is perfect. The ones that do well tend to understand their strategy or niche and most importantly have analyzed their history to identify mistakes to do better in the future.

My main individual stock account was up 34.5% in 2020, but I had plenty of mistakes - not just in stock selection but more importantly these "quirks" (of which there are many) that prevented me from doing better. (And by better, I mean on a risk adjusted basis.)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
Picked up Shopify (SHOP) last August and have been holding with my ROTH funds.

So far, so good....
I think I began in late 2018 with SHOP. Was definitely adding in Feb, Mar last year.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
These are all my individual equity holdings:
T CSCO AAPL FB HD COST NRZ PG V MA (my biggest holding by far) FVRR

JNJ PINS SIVB ADSK CRWD CTAS MSFT ZM GOOGL TXN

I sold DIS at the start of the pandemic for $129 and felt good when it dropped to $95. My has it rebounded. Parks closed, cruises closed and it rallies? Disney+ isn't that great a money maker to compensate for the other segments imo.
I think I have 80 positions or so.

DIS has turned out to be a really good. I bought at 87, 88, and 92 in March with a long-term view. It is going to be stronger as a reopening play but has bee a nice SAH stock also.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:31 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe PYPL will continue to do well as a LONG term Investment.

DD
DangerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took my 2021 tIRA to Roth conversions and put it into PCI (9.79% forward yield) and ORC (13.81% forward yield). Time will tell if I was a fool.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I picked a small bio tech NWBO to hold long term. It could go to zero or be a grand slam.

I added MSFT during the mini-dip and put my Mother back into T for the 7%+ dividend.

All of this was done during rebalancing.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
No, it’s lending your shares to your broker who lends them to someone else and splits the earnings with you. Fidelity’s doc is here:
https://www.fidelity.com/trading/fully-paid-lending
So that actually sounds very interesting, when they show the example of 8.5% interest, considering a person also gets equivalent of the div (after taxes).

I have to wonder what is the real interest rate they pay, as they state it varies upon many factors.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #29

Among stocks my long term holdings are TDOC, ROKU, NIO, FUV, AMD, TSLA. I likely will not sell these for several years, or sell pieces as I get older, or never.

My short term holdings, meaning I will look to sell them once I've held them for at least 12 months are DAL, DIOD, EXPE, LITE, LAC, UMC, AMWL. I bought Delta and Expedia back in April expecting COVID to die out in a few months and sell them for gains. Now I've got them for awhile longer. I'm up 95% on Delta and 125% on Expedia.

My speculative plays, mostly done in IRA and/or 401k accounts to avoid capital gains taxes, are: KOPN (+352% in 2 months), RAZFF (+52% in 6 weeks), TBLT(+87% in 6 weeks), AXTI (+38% in 2 months), LI (just bought), INMD (just bought), LLNW (-21% in 8 months), WRAP (+130% in 9 months), COTY (+84% in 5 months). I believe KOPN, TBLT, LI, and INMD could become long term holds. Only loser in the group is LLNW.

I've been in and out of these stocks in my IRA/401k, all made money: WYY, USIO, TRXC, OPTT, IINX.

My super speculative plays are ATAO, HLYK, TRXC. ATAO is very interesting. It's a SPAC play with mining leases in Nevada looking for lithium and other rare earth elements like gold, palladium, platinum, etc. (I know, I know...) What drew me to it was the fact that Paul Pelosi Jr., Nancy's entrepreneur son, is on the advisory board to ATAO and he is president of a lithium battery recycling company. Pelosi Jr. also took another lithium mining company from obscurity to a market cap of $1.8B. So far have doubled my money on ATAO in 2 weeks. CAUTION: This is a very risky stock, basically one that will live on positive PR, but the reward could be significant. I usually don't get involved in this sort of thing but I guess I'm doing it partly for entertainment purposes.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I have a bunch of psychological, negative, quirks in my investing that I have tried to identify and compensate for over the years.

One of them is that I am a bargain hunter, which makes it difficult for me to buy things that are up a lot or hitting new highs. This quirk has cost me a lot of money over the years. Why? Because stocks that are hitting new highs tend to continue doing so, and stocks that have gone down (i.e. are "bargains"), continue to do so.

Some of my biggest winners (% wise) over the last few months have been stocks hitting new highs that are up big time from the March lows. But it has taken great effort on my part to hit the buy key on them.
Ah, we have the same affliction (or is it same strength?). I've learned that a stock with a strong balance sheet and strong earnings has real momentum and not to be too scared of 52 week high prices when considering them. Proceed with caution, but not frightened.

Quote:
The thing I've learned about stock picking, investing, and trading is that NO ONE is perfect. The ones that do well tend to understand their strategy or niche and most importantly have analyzed their history to identify mistakes to do better in the future.
The main thing I've learned is to invest money long term in solid companies with strong balance sheets, accelerating earnings, and a disruptive product.

I've learned I can make medium term investments with slightly different criteria, and short term high risk plays are mostly momentum plays.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #31

ACUIF, AI, ETTX, DFH, GAN, CRSP (my biggest loser), NIO, OTRK, QS (Sold most over a $100, but still have 100 shares), RESN, SE and Z.

Can't claim skill, but it's been a fun ride so far.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
The main thing I've learned is to invest money long term in solid companies with strong balance sheets, accelerating earnings, and a disruptive product.
I own (with basis listed): AAPL ($11.63, but raised by sell/buy back to raise basis i.e. capture LTCG at lower rate, original basis was $0.35), ABT ($25.15), ADI ($0.56), EW (orig. basis $0.67), MAR ($2.62), MSFT ($31.40). All of these are in my top seven or so holdings by market value.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I own (with basis listed): AAPL ($11.63, but raised by sell/buy back to raise basis i.e. capture LTCG at lower rate, original basis was $0.35), ABT ($25.15), ADI ($0.56), EW (orig. basis $0.67), MAR ($2.62), MSFT ($31.40). All of these are in my top seven or so holdings by market value.
Wow! Nicely done!

My long term holds are NIO ($3.70), TDOC ($59), ROKU ($113), AMD ($48), FUV ($3.00), TSLA ($336).

Old 02-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Q for you guys - do you all participate in your broker’s stock lending programs? They have different terms for it “enhancement” etc. It sounds like there’s really no downside. Maybe there’s really no $$ in it either?

I have been doing it with my E*Trade account. It doesn't pay much, but that's because I don't have large holdings in stocks that people want to short.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My current gamble/investment is GBTC, the bitcoin trust. I had 91 shares and just bough another 9 to make an even 100 on 1/25/2021. Those 9 are up 40.66% and the total 100 are up 514%.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

I was a little late but parked funds right before the March 2020 crash, then got back in when things looked like they were taking off again. Long on ENPH, APPS, and BLNK right now. Gains are about 350%, 1300%, and 1100% so far.

I learned you are never without risk, but some simple things can help reduce the risk. My simplified version of a strategy: Is the company in a good sector? Did they beat on earnings for at least 4 quarters? Does the 1yr and 3yr graph have a growth trajectory I can live with (ups and downs)? Do I like the industry and do they seem to have good products? What is the chatter on Stocktwits? What is the long term outlook of the current market as a whole? If all reasonably good, pull the trigger and go long. Don't try to guess the up and down days, that is increases risk and I always seemed to lose when I did that. I think one was down 50% and other 35% at one point after I got in, but I stayed the course trusting the minor research I did. So far it has worked well in this current market, but subject to change at any moment.
jschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m considering purchase of DKNG. Recently went public, not yet profitable. I realize this is risky but from what I’ve read the online betting business is in its infancy and poised for substantial growth. More and more states are legalizing this business model, in part because they need the tax revenue. I’m curious if others have opinions re this.
Thanks...
DD
DangerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:08 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've got my eye on MRNA and I'm holding CBWTF (Also known as XLY on the Toronto Venture Stock Exchange). I'm also holding ROKU.

Note: I'm pretty nervous about the market in general right now.

MRNA: Normally, I don't like biotech/pharma, but that's been because it's always seemed like hit or miss on clinical trials. I like MRNA as a long-term hold because my understanding is that you're actually designing solutions based on DNA. So, even putting COVID aside, I think MRNA has a lot of potential with other diseases over the next decade.

CBWTF: Auxly Cannabis in Canada. They started out as a "streaming" company -- they borrowed this model from Wheaton, who does it with precious metals (https://www.wheatonpm.com/streams/default.aspx). I like how they have their hand in everything from growing the raw cannabis (they seem to have focused on some high quality growers) to creating derivative products to having deals in place for shelf space to sell those products. This is great for the "2.0" cannabis market, and with some more of their production projects coming online in 2021, I expect them to have a pretty good 2021 and 2022. Although they have a lot of outstanding shares, the PPS is pretty cheap compared to tier 1 cannabis companies. IMO, this has the most potential of my 3 picks over the next 2 years.

ROKU: I kinda just went with the flow on this one. A few people recommended it, and it makes sense because of COVID and cord-cutting. So, it just kinda makes sense to me. Even though it's done well over the last 6 months, it seems like there more room for growth in 2021, so I picked some up at about $410.

Just as a bonus, if you've read this far: I've held some XRP (crypto) for a few years. This one is a wild card, IMO. Not sure what to expect of it, but it might pop if the Ripple SEC lawsuit gets settled this year, and might go crazy if banks start using it in larger amounts in coming years. I should probably also add some GBTC on a dip.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:33 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Q for you guys - do you all participate in your broker’s stock lending programs? They have different terms for it “enhancement” etc. It sounds like there’s really no downside. Maybe there’s really no $$ in it either?

I think this the main downside, from the Fidelity link you posted: "generally due to short selling"

As I understand it, they're borrowing your stock so that they can sell it, because they think the price will go down over time, and they can buy it at a cheaper price in the future, to replace the shares that they borrowed. The more stock sales there are, the more negative impact it has on the price of the stock.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:43 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Just as a bonus, if you've read this far: I've held some XRP (crypto) for a few years. This one is a wild card, IMO. Not sure what to expect of it, but it might pop if the Ripple SEC lawsuit gets settled this year, and might go crazy if banks start using it in larger amounts in coming years. I should probably also add some GBTC on a dip.
I’ve started looking a bit past GBTC towards other crypto trust stocks. Not done researching, but I’m aiming to find something with closer valuation to NAV and lower expenses than GBTC’s 2%. That said, I do trade GBTC and its ETH sister (ETHE) for now.

I’ll be closely watching all crypto and related events, especially looking at regulatory efforts. Also, blockchain tech in general has the potential for large impact in the tech sector, so I’ll be researching and following that.

I know I’ve said before that I also trade some of the miners (RIOT, MARA, etc). I hope that some of these crypto associated companies expand into some additional income producing activities in the space - seems like it’d be a sensible additional adjunct to their current core focus.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote