Stock Picking 2021

I took my 2021 tIRA to Roth conversions and put it into PCI (9.79% forward yield) and ORC (13.81% forward yield). Time will tell if I was a fool.

I picked a small bio tech NWBO to hold long term. It could go to zero or be a grand slam.

I added MSFT during the mini-dip and put my Mother back into T for the 7%+ dividend.

All of this was done during rebalancing.

No, it’s lending your shares to your broker who lends them to someone else and splits the earnings with you. Fidelity’s doc is here:
https://www.fidelity.com/trading/fully-paid-lending

So that actually sounds very interesting, when they show the example of 8.5% interest, considering a person also gets equivalent of the div (after taxes).

I have to wonder what is the real interest rate they pay, as they state it varies upon many factors.

Among stocks my long term holdings are TDOC, ROKU, NIO, FUV, AMD, TSLA. I likely will not sell these for several years, or sell pieces as I get older, or never.

My short term holdings, meaning I will look to sell them once I've held them for at least 12 months are DAL, DIOD, EXPE, LITE, LAC, UMC, AMWL. I bought Delta and Expedia back in April expecting COVID to die out in a few months and sell them for gains. Now I've got them for awhile longer. I'm up 95% on Delta and 125% on Expedia.

My speculative plays, mostly done in IRA and/or 401k accounts to avoid capital gains taxes, are: KOPN (+352% in 2 months), RAZFF (+52% in 6 weeks), TBLT(+87% in 6 weeks), AXTI (+38% in 2 months), LI (just bought), INMD (just bought), LLNW (-21% in 8 months), WRAP (+130% in 9 months), COTY (+84% in 5 months). I believe KOPN, TBLT, LI, and INMD could become long term holds. Only loser in the group is LLNW.

I've been in and out of these stocks in my IRA/401k, all made money: WYY, USIO, TRXC, OPTT, IINX.

My super speculative plays are ATAO, HLYK, TRXC. ATAO is very interesting. It's a SPAC play with mining leases in Nevada looking for lithium and other rare earth elements like gold, palladium, platinum, etc. (I know, I know...) What drew me to it was the fact that Paul Pelosi Jr., Nancy's entrepreneur son, is on the advisory board to ATAO and he is president of a lithium battery recycling company. Pelosi Jr. also took another lithium mining company from obscurity to a market cap of $1.8B. So far have doubled my money on ATAO in 2 weeks. CAUTION: This is a very risky stock, basically one that will live on positive PR, but the reward could be significant. I usually don't get involved in this sort of thing but I guess I'm doing it partly for entertainment purposes.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of psychological, negative, quirks in my investing that I have tried to identify and compensate for over the years.

One of them is that I am a bargain hunter, which makes it difficult for me to buy things that are up a lot or hitting new highs. This quirk has cost me a lot of money over the years. Why? Because stocks that are hitting new highs tend to continue doing so, and stocks that have gone down (i.e. are "bargains"), continue to do so.

Some of my biggest winners (% wise) over the last few months have been stocks hitting new highs that are up big time from the March lows. But it has taken great effort on my part to hit the buy key on them.

Ah, we have the same affliction (or is it same strength?). I've learned that a stock with a strong balance sheet and strong earnings has real momentum and not to be too scared of 52 week high prices when considering them. Proceed with caution, but not frightened.

The thing I've learned about stock picking, investing, and trading is that NO ONE is perfect. The ones that do well tend to understand their strategy or niche and most importantly have analyzed their history to identify mistakes to do better in the future.

The main thing I've learned is to invest money long term in solid companies with strong balance sheets, accelerating earnings, and a disruptive product.

I've learned I can make medium term investments with slightly different criteria, and short term high risk plays are mostly momentum plays.

ACUIF, AI, ETTX, DFH, GAN, CRSP (my biggest loser), NIO, OTRK, QS (Sold most over a $100, but still have 100 shares), RESN, SE and Z.

Can't claim skill, but it's been a fun ride so far.

The main thing I've learned is to invest money long term in solid companies with strong balance sheets, accelerating earnings, and a disruptive product.

I own (with basis listed): AAPL ($11.63, but raised by sell/buy back to raise basis i.e. capture LTCG at lower rate, original basis was $0.35), ABT ($25.15), ADI ($0.56), EW (orig. basis $0.67), MAR ($2.62), MSFT ($31.40). All of these are in my top seven or so holdings by market value.

I own (with basis listed): AAPL ($11.63, but raised by sell/buy back to raise basis i.e. capture LTCG at lower rate, original basis was $0.35), ABT ($25.15), ADI ($0.56), EW (orig. basis $0.67), MAR ($2.62), MSFT ($31.40). All of these are in my top seven or so holdings by market value.

Wow! Nicely done!

My long term holds are NIO ($3.70), TDOC ($59), ROKU ($113), AMD ($48), FUV ($3.00), TSLA ($336).

Q for you guys - do you all participate in your broker’s stock lending programs? They have different terms for it “enhancement” etc. It sounds like there’s really no downside. Maybe there’s really no $$ in it either?

I have been doing it with my E*Trade account. It doesn't pay much, but that's because I don't have large holdings in stocks that people want to short.

My current gamble/investment is GBTC, the bitcoin trust. I had 91 shares and just bough another 9 to make an even 100 on 1/25/2021. Those 9 are up 40.66% and the total 100 are up 514%.

I was a little late but parked funds right before the March 2020 crash, then got back in when things looked like they were taking off again. Long on ENPH, APPS, and BLNK right now. Gains are about 350%, 1300%, and 1100% so far.

I learned you are never without risk, but some simple things can help reduce the risk. My simplified version of a strategy: Is the company in a good sector? Did they beat on earnings for at least 4 quarters? Does the 1yr and 3yr graph have a growth trajectory I can live with (ups and downs)? Do I like the industry and do they seem to have good products? What is the chatter on Stocktwits? What is the long term outlook of the current market as a whole? If all reasonably good, pull the trigger and go long. Don't try to guess the up and down days, that is increases risk and I always seemed to lose when I did that. I think one was down 50% and other 35% at one point after I got in, but I stayed the course trusting the minor research I did. So far it has worked well in this current market, but subject to change at any moment.

I’m considering purchase of DKNG. Recently went public, not yet profitable. I realize this is risky but from what I’ve read the online betting business is in its infancy and poised for substantial growth. More and more states are legalizing this business model, in part because they need the tax revenue. I’m curious if others have opinions re this.
Thanks...
DD

I've got my eye on MRNA and I'm holding CBWTF (Also known as XLY on the Toronto Venture Stock Exchange). I'm also holding ROKU.

Note: I'm pretty nervous about the market in general right now.

MRNA: Normally, I don't like biotech/pharma, but that's been because it's always seemed like hit or miss on clinical trials. I like MRNA as a long-term hold because my understanding is that you're actually designing solutions based on DNA. So, even putting COVID aside, I think MRNA has a lot of potential with other diseases over the next decade.

CBWTF: Auxly Cannabis in Canada. They started out as a "streaming" company -- they borrowed this model from Wheaton, who does it with precious metals (https://www.wheatonpm.com/streams/default.aspx). I like how they have their hand in everything from growing the raw cannabis (they seem to have focused on some high quality growers) to creating derivative products to having deals in place for shelf space to sell those products. This is great for the "2.0" cannabis market, and with some more of their production projects coming online in 2021, I expect them to have a pretty good 2021 and 2022. Although they have a lot of outstanding shares, the PPS is pretty cheap compared to tier 1 cannabis companies. IMO, this has the most potential of my 3 picks over the next 2 years.

ROKU: I kinda just went with the flow on this one. A few people recommended it, and it makes sense because of COVID and cord-cutting. So, it just kinda makes sense to me. Even though it's done well over the last 6 months, it seems like there more room for growth in 2021, so I picked some up at about $410.

Just as a bonus, if you've read this far: I've held some XRP (crypto) for a few years. This one is a wild card, IMO. Not sure what to expect of it, but it might pop if the Ripple SEC lawsuit gets settled this year, and might go crazy if banks start using it in larger amounts in coming years. I should probably also add some GBTC on a dip.

Q for you guys - do you all participate in your broker’s stock lending programs? They have different terms for it “enhancement” etc. It sounds like there’s really no downside. Maybe there’s really no $$ in it either?

I think this the main downside, from the Fidelity link you posted: "generally due to short selling"

As I understand it, they're borrowing your stock so that they can sell it, because they think the price will go down over time, and they can buy it at a cheaper price in the future, to replace the shares that they borrowed. The more stock sales there are, the more negative impact it has on the price of the stock.

Just as a bonus, if you've read this far: I've held some XRP (crypto) for a few years. This one is a wild card, IMO. Not sure what to expect of it, but it might pop if the Ripple SEC lawsuit gets settled this year, and might go crazy if banks start using it in larger amounts in coming years. I should probably also add some GBTC on a dip.

I’ve started looking a bit past GBTC towards other crypto trust stocks. Not done researching, but I’m aiming to find something with closer valuation to NAV and lower expenses than GBTC’s 2%. That said, I do trade GBTC and its ETH sister (ETHE) for now.

I’ll be closely watching all crypto and related events, especially looking at regulatory efforts. Also, blockchain tech in general has the potential for large impact in the tech sector, so I’ll be researching and following that.

I know I’ve said before that I also trade some of the miners (RIOT, MARA, etc). I hope that some of these crypto associated companies expand into some additional income producing activities in the space - seems like it’d be a sensible additional adjunct to their current core focus.

I’m analyzing selling more covered puts as a way to earn (on stocks I like anyway) while my hunk of ballast (cash) hangs out, waiting for a market correction. I don’t mind working at it and maintaining it weekly and monthly, as it makes sense. I’ve started analyzing at the top of my “buy more” list, but it occurred to me that some of you are already doing this and might have some favorites I could research.

For example, I like both ARKK and AAPL over the long run. If I choose options about 30% under current price, I could earn $73 for ARKK and $16 for AAPL. At the moment this gives me me an annualized earn of almost 8% if I repeat monthly for ARKK, but only 2% if I do the same for AAPL. (Earnings divided by reserved cash, x12)

My question is - how are you finding your optimum stocks, then optimal put price to maximize your earnings? This is within an IRA, so no tax implications. TIA for any suggestions.

Someone tell me if I am crazy, but as we all look for yield on our money, I found something that I like.

So Delta Airlines (DAL)
I highly doubt it will go out of business and I think it is safe to assume that a year from now it will be back to normal.

With that said, you can buy DAL today at say $43.69 and write a covered call for next January 2022 $30 for $16.4

So you are shelling out $27.29 today, and making $2.71 if it trades over $30 next year. That yield is over 10% annualized.

There are other combos, like you can do it with a $50 call and even pocket some over today's price.

Worth the risk?

Someone tell me if I am crazy, but as we all look for yield on our money, I found something that I like.

So Delta Airlines (DAL)
I highly doubt it will go out of business and I think it is safe to assume that a year from now it will be back to normal.

With that said, you can buy DAL today at say $43.69 and write a covered call for next January 2022 $30 for $16.4

So you are shelling out $27.29 today, and making $2.71 if it trades over $30 next year. That yield is over 10% annualized.

There are other combos, like you can do it with a $50 call and even pocket some over today's price.

Worth the risk?

Yes, to me. I’m selling covered calls on a lot of my stocks, and even consolidating some positions so that I can have more round lots (of 100) in order to sell more calls.

Oh, and if you sell those calls on stocks with good dividends, you can also keep the dividends and add them to your net yield.

I do alot of covered calls and even some cash secured puts.
But the idea of using a LEAP which is a long term option seems like a good way to boost yield.

I’m analyzing selling more covered puts as a way to earn (on stocks I like anyway) while my hunk of ballast (cash) hangs out, waiting for a market correction. I don’t mind working at it and maintaining it weekly and monthly, as it makes sense. I’ve started analyzing at the top of my “buy more” list, but it occurred to me that some of you are already doing this and might have some favorites I could research.

For example, I like both ARKK and AAPL over the long run. If I choose options about 30% under current price, I could earn $73 for ARKK and $16 for AAPL. At the moment this gives me me an annualized earn of almost 8% if I repeat monthly for ARKK, but only 2% if I do the same for AAPL. (Earnings divided by reserved cash, x12)

My question is - how are you finding your optimum stocks, then optimal put price to maximize your earnings? This is within an IRA, so no tax implications. TIA for any suggestions.
I've been playing with Apple calls as I have a little too much. I'd been going out 2-3 weeks for 8%-10% OTM. I need to sell one more for 2 weeks out but I'm going to wait till APPL settles down after this adjustment.

I'll be looking at shorter duration too. I've also been doing this with ICLN and just yesterday bought a put on ARKF. It's on my buy list and it can be an OK producer of premiums. Looking at ARKK that's interesting too. Little volatility is good for options prices. I swear the ARKs just had weeklies added this week.

Speculative Plays I currently hold:
ALTO, AUPH, BFT, CRLBF, DM, FIII, GBTC, GIK, OCUL, PSHZF, PSTH, TFFP, VFF, VUZI, XERS, XL, ALTO, BMWLF, BRGGF, DMYD, PDAC, SIOX, INSG.

Average (weighted) profit on these (as of 2 days ago) 27.5%, Average holding time: 46 days.

I've also made a bunch of short term trades on these (and others), average (weighted) return 16%, average weighted holding days 29. Well over 80 trades and counting. [These numbers are already out of date, I made a spreadsheet of these earlier this week and have done trades since then. The holdings are across multiple accounts and multiple brokerages, making it harder to automate.]

I am not counting any trades made on long term holdings (I've sold off a bit of Apple as it represents too much single stock risk, sold off Intel as I no longer like their longer term outlook). Most of those sales have been to max out Long Term capital gains in 2020.

This has been a great market for speculative, small cap plays for the last few months. I've done more trades in the last couple/few months than all told in several years, perhaps more.

Yes, this will end badly, as all speculative markets do. How burned I will be when that (eventually) happens remains to be seen. (I hope to be able to get out and not ride it down, but future actions are always suspect.)

Still pissed at myself for not buying INMD or a BUNCH more GBTC in the low 30's, or in the case of Bitcoin when it broke through its 2018 all time high.

Last edited:
I’m analyzing selling more covered puts as a way to earn (on stocks I like anyway) while my hunk of ballast (cash) hangs out, waiting for a market correction. ........, I like both ARKK and AAPL over the long run. If I choose options about 30% under current price, I could earn $73 for ARKK and $16 for AAPL. At the moment this gives me me an annualized earn of almost 8% if I repeat monthly for ARKK, but only 2% if I do the same for AAPL. (Earnings divided by reserved cash, x12)

I'm doing the same for ARKG but only about 10% below price, so of course the payout is about $250 per lot.

Catch is, should the music stop, I'll be owning some at a steep price compared to a 40% market drop.
But less worse than buying the stock outright.

Yes, this will end badly, as all speculative markets do. How burned I will be when that (eventually) happens remains to be seen. (I hope to be able to get out and not ride it down, but future actions are always suspect.)

So very true :)

E*TRADE just finished getting my accounts transferred over from Vanguard - and I wish I had done this years ago!

They have SO MANY tools! Conditional orders?!?! Options income finder? Ok gotta go, gots lots to read. Will let y’all know if I find anything good. And, as a PS, I’m glad I picked up some PLTR a couple of days ago :)

E*TRADE just finished getting my accounts transferred over from Vanguard - and I wish I had done this years ago!

They have SO MANY tools! Conditional orders?!?! Options income finder? Ok gotta go, gots lots to read. Will let y’all know if I find anything good. And, as a PS, I’m glad I picked up some PLTR a couple of days ago :)

Welcome to the 21st century! :flowers:

I primarily use Ameritrade's Think Or Swim (TOS) platform, which has more features than seems humanly possible. For instance, in active trader view I can click on a bid or ask to hit it. I can create an order then in a chart view drag the order up/down in price to have it resubmitted at that price.

If I weren't so busy (excuse) I would dedicate a few days just watching videos on features in it to become more comfortable with some of the hidden features it has.

Just be careful clicking things! I recently bought when I meant to sell! Fortunately I realized it and corrected (sold both what I had and the purchase) with it slightly higher.

Back
Top Bottom