Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
I have a concentrated portfolio of stocks with strong dividend growth characteristics, which represents 40% of our income. Recently I sold INTC--a 20 year hold--because of continuing execution and competitive concerns. Also, sold CVX and KMI and now am completely out of any fossil fuel names. Looking to an increasingly likely green energy future.
I was hoping the fossil fuel companies have a bit more of upside during the first half of the year or so. And I think I remember seeing info from PSX on their roadmap away from fossil fuels... I still have cvx, kmi, and psx. My sorta-greener kinda-energy plays are nee, LNG, NI, OGS, ETR, GE, ENB, CNP, and maybe some parts of my utilities (DUK, ED, & reducing my D). I also have generator, solar, & battery exposure. I hope those are profitable companies going forward.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVplusDog View Post
I was hoping the fossil fuel companies have a bit more of upside during the first half of the year or so. And I think I remember seeing info from PSX on their roadmap away from fossil fuels... I still have cvx, kmi, and psx. My sorta-greener kinda-energy plays are nee, LNG, NI, OGS, ETR, GE, ENB, CNP, and maybe some parts of my utilities (DUK, ED, & reducing my D). I also have generator, solar, & battery exposure. I hope those are profitable companies going forward.

My green energy play is CMI. Building natural gas trucks, but more importantly are working on hydrogen powered trucks.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
My green energy play is CMI. Building natural gas trucks, but more importantly are working on hydrogen powered trucks.
Do they have any plans on where to acquire the hydrogen?
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Do they have any plans on where to acquire the hydrogen?

https://www.cummins.com/news/2021/02...en-year-review

IMG_3250.jpg
Old 02-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I shorted GBTC, RIOT, and ETHE on Friday, and bought some puts on RIOT. How low can Bitcoin go this week? Looking to buy and cover about half of my positions today.

Also short a bunch of speculative tech stocks. Hopefully they continue tanking this week and I can cover and roll the gains into some value plays.
jurgs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgs01 View Post
I shorted GBTC, RIOT, and ETHE on Friday, and bought some puts on RIOT. How low can Bitcoin go this week? Looking to buy and cover about half of my positions today.

Also short a bunch of speculative tech stocks. Hopefully they continue tanking this week and I can cover and roll the gains into some value plays.
I'm too chicken to really short anything, the closest I'll come is selling puts on ARKG.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #67

Aargh - getting punished this week. Up 50% over the last 90 days in my play Roth, but some of that has now been taken back over the last couple of days. Hoping to just stay the course and maybe buy some more...
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
Aargh - getting punished this week. Up 50% over the last 90 days in my play Roth, but some of that has now been taken back over the last couple of days. Hoping to just stay the course and maybe buy some more...

At first glance it looks like we’re getting punished, then I look further back an see how far it’s risen over the past year.
This might be a good time to do some selective stock Roth conversions.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm too chicken to really short anything, the closest I'll come is selling puts on ARKG.
I sold puts on a lot of stocks I’d like to own. I think I’m at under 5% assigned. I sold a last-minute put on PLTR last week that came in at a price lower than the limit buy I had previously placed. Then I was able to sell calls on that PLTR for 21% APY at a $45 strike, so that worked out well.

I’m slowly learning which stocks have good volume & premium on options. There’s prolly great tools /websites out there for that which I haven’t found yet :-)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
One issue I have with selling Calls and Puts, is evaluating (or knowing) what is a good price in relation to the strike price and stock and I'm sure volatility plays a role.

Until I learn how to figure out that, I'm just going by my feelings of:
How do I feel selling my stock at price X in some number of days (if it gets called), and the opposite about selling the put.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

I do alot with calls and puts.

Cash Secured puts, with a call date right before a good stock pays a dividend is a good trade. I get the premium and if I get assigned, I then grab the dividend. I then immediately write a covered call.

Covered calls also just after a dividend is paid, so I can grab dividend and then lose my stock.

Another play I like is a LEAP on a good dividend stock. So you take a stock paying a solid 5%, buy the common, write a covered call with a call price well over your cost. In 1 year, you collect 5%, plus if you get called, the premium and the difference on call over cost. You can pocket 20% plus, better than a CD!!

I think best way to play market is look for these income plays and not look to make a killing on a growth stock.
DR1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1959 View Post
I do alot with calls and puts.

Cash Secured puts, with a call date right before a good stock pays a dividend is a good trade. I get the premium and if I get assigned, I then grab the dividend. I then immediately write a covered call.

Covered calls also just after a dividend is paid, so I can grab dividend and then lose my stock.

Another play I like is a LEAP on a good dividend stock. So you take a stock paying a solid 5%, buy the common, write a covered call with a call price well over your cost. In 1 year, you collect 5%, plus if you get called, the premium and the difference on call over cost. You can pocket 20% plus, better than a CD!!

I think best way to play market is look for these income plays and not look to make a killing on a growth stock.

How does "grabbing the dividend" on the put you wrote gain you anything since the stock price is automatically reduced by the amount of the dividend.

example: stock xyz trading at $52 you sell a put at $50 with a March 31st strike @ a premium of $2.00 and a dividend date of say Apr 2nd. On Apr 2 it pays a $1 dividend.
On Mar 30th it drops to $48. The stock is put to you at $50. Your cost is ($50-$2) $48. On apr 2nd you get a $1.00 dividend and your cost is now $47 but the price of the stock is adjusted to $47 as well. So you either have a $48 stock that you paid $48 for or a $47 stock that you paid $47 for. Therefore the dividend didn't gain you anything. If you then "immediately write a covered call" it will gain you less premium if you write it when it is valued at $47 than it would if you wrote it @$48, again a wash.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
How does "grabbing the dividend" on the put you wrote gain you anything since the stock price is automatically reduced by the amount of the dividend.

example: stock xyz trading at $52 you sell a put at $50 with a March 31st strike @ a premium of $2.00 and a dividend date of say Apr 2nd. On Apr 2 it pays a $1 dividend.
On Mar 30th it drops to $48. The stock is put to you at $50. Your cost is ($50-$2) $48. On apr 2nd you get a $1.00 dividend and your cost is now $47 but the price of the stock is adjusted to $47 as well. So you either have a $48 stock that you paid $48 for or a $47 stock that you paid $47 for. Therefore the dividend didn't gain you anything. If you then "immediately write a covered call" it will gain you less premium if you write it when it is valued at $47 than it would if you wrote it @$48, again a wash.

So you are missing something.
Use your XYZ example but lets say 4/2 is the Ex-div date, I don't use div-date.
If you sell a $50 Put, you pocket the $2 premium and it has to get below $50 for it to be assigned to you by 3/31.
If it doesn't you pocket the $2 and it expires worthless.
If it does, then on 3/31 you get assigned the stock, let's say it dropped to $49, now you are in the stock at $48. On 4/2 it goes ex, and it drops further but before it did that you wrote a covered call for $50, now you get the premium from that and the dividend.

It's not foolproof, but I rarely lose on the trade if done right.
Try it on paper and you will see!
I also play with stocks I don't mind owning if I get stuck.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #74

Quote:
So you are missing something.
Use your XYZ example but lets say 4/2 is the Ex-div date, I don't use div-date.
If you sell a $50 Put, you pocket the $2 premium and it has to get below $50 for it to be assigned to you by 3/31.
If it doesn't you pocket the $2 and it expires worthless.
If it does, then on 3/31 you get assigned the stock, let's say it dropped to $49, now you are in the stock at $48. On 4/2 it goes ex, and it drops further but before it did that you wrote a covered call for $50, now you get the premium from that and the dividend.

It's not foolproof, but I rarely lose on the trade if done right.
Try it on paper and you will see!
I also play with stocks I don't mind owning if I get stuck.

When I wrote "dividend date" I meant the ex div date (the day the stock price is adjusted down by the dividend amount) not the "payout date". Sorry for that confusion. The price is immediately adjusted down on that ex div date not the payout date as you pointed out. So I can see how your example would work.

So at a minimum you always collect the premium(from writing the put) and the dividend. The risk of course is that the price drops below the strike -premium-dividend before expiration and you now own it for more than it is worth. so say it went to $45 before Mar 31st and it cost you $47(50-2-1) to own it. So now you are down $2 and your covered call writing yields a smaller premium than hoped for.

On the plus side if it is a good stock you don't mind owning you still only paid $47 for it rather than $50.
Still there is that grey area of when to write the covered call. Do you now wait and hope it jumps back up from $45 before the ex date and possibly fall further behind or do you just write it right away regardless.
I guess it also even depends on how close the strike date is to the ex date so that you even have a choice.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #75
Dryer sheet aficionado

You get a feel for it as you do it. There are still many variables, like the overall market. Works well in a bull market, but if you get caught holding and dividend stock, then you are still earning. Also your boosting your income by writing covered calls. I have some stocks I have been in and out 10 plus times a year. Some I keep writing calls and keep pocketing dividends. I have a goal of $500 a week and I have achieved that the last 2 years and exceeded it. This year my average is $1200 a week. I am playing with a decent amount of capital and retired, so its more of a hobby.

Don't get greedy. I will take $100 from a trade in 1 day and be happy. Better than gambling and better than getting .01% on MM.

But don't get me wrong, last March/April, I was holding and sitting on covered calls. I made money on every call but was sitting on large losses, market came back and I wrote covered calls all the way back and called out on most of them.

Cash secured puts, you need to have the cash in account. I calculate my yield on the cash. So if I secure a put with say $10K and it makes $100 in say 1 month or less, that is a 12% plus annual yield and I happy with that!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #76

Quote:
You get a feel for it as you do it. There are still many variables, like the overall market. Works well in a bull market, but if you get caught holding and dividend stock, then you are still earning. Also your boosting your income by writing covered calls. I have some stocks I have been in and out 10 plus times a year. Some I keep writing calls and keep pocketing dividends. I have a goal of $500 a week and I have achieved that the last 2 years and exceeded it. This year my average is $1200 a week. I am playing with a decent amount of capital and retired, so its more of a hobby.

Don't get greedy. I will take $100 from a trade in 1 day and be happy. Better than gambling and better than getting .01% on MM.

But don't get me wrong, last March/April, I was holding and sitting on covered calls. I made money on every call but was sitting on large losses, market came back and I wrote covered calls all the way back and called out on most of them.

Cash secured puts, you need to have the cash in account. I calculate my yield on the cash. So if I secure a put with say $10K and it makes $100 in say 1 month or less, that is a 12% plus annual yield and I happy with that!
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I understood your approach correctly.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:06 AM   #77
Confused about dryer sheets

I don’t see much of a difference between investing in an ETF that you know nothing about except the first few top holdings, and diversifying into ~50 individuals stocks. I am a control freak when it comes to investments, if I don’t know what it is I can’t invest. The biggest difference between the two is how involved you have to be. I personally enjoy finance news and having control over my investments. But any ETF can do good or bad with somebody else doing that research for you.

My top picks have been Tesla, Square, Apple, Disney, Shopify, Bank of America (funny how well the banks shot back after the big dip, made a lot of investing on the dip), and many others. The growth can’t last but 2020 was an insanely good and abnormal year for me being up over 230%. My mentor only invests in individual stocks and has done very well for himself. I still pick ETFs like Ark when I don’t have as much knowledge on a sector. It’s the long term investments that win the most, so I won’t be selling for awhile.
Realizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

What do you think of this?
You take a company like ATT
You buy the common at 28.50
You write a covered call for $15 on Jan 2022 at 13.50
So dividend yield is .52 a share or 7.3% at current price.
Odds are you won't get the final dividend on 1/8/22 bc you will probably lose the stock, but if you do get the other 3 payouts, you get 1.56 on a $15 investment which is over 10% if annualized but its less than a year, so its better.

What's the risk? Will ATT trade below $15 in a year or go bankrupt?
Old 03-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What do you think of this?
You take a company like ATT
You buy the common at 28.50
You write a covered call for $15 on Jan 2022 at 13.50
So dividend yield is .52 a share or 7.3% at current price.
Odds are you won't get the final dividend on 1/8/22 bc you will probably lose the stock, but if you do get the other 3 payouts, you get 1.56 on a $15 investment which is over 10% if annualized but its less than a year, so its better.

What's the risk? Will ATT trade below $15 in a year or go bankrupt?
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t write the call at a higher strike price. Is it just to earn that higher premium up front? I can get static return of 5.4% on a $30 strike, earning $156 up front, still getting all the dividends, and netting $31.56 all told if the stock gets called, 11% annualized before the dividends. Just a different way to skin the cat?
Old 03-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well if you write it higher you take more risk.
If att closes at say $20 you lost all your gains on the common loss. You will be holding a losing stock.

My scenario is much less risk with more gain and less capital needed. There is a good chance you will get called and pocket the dividend.