Join Early Retirement Today

T.Rowe Price or Other providers?
Old 12-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

T.Rowe Price or Other providers?

Hi everyone,

Hope you are doing well. I have a question about Roth IRA with T.RowePrice provider and would like to ask your opinions. I have about 200k roth IRA with Troweprice investing in ( global technology fun PRGTX) for about more than 10 years now. It has been doing ok but the expense ratio is high (0.86%). I was wondering if I could move it to a different provider like vanguard or fidelity with the same fun but cheaper expense ratio. ?

thank you so much.
joe
weester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can find lower expense ratios than that, and in my experience Price is not trustworthy. You'll find many lower expense funds at Fidelity, and the company has a better track record with retirement accounts.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
You can find lower expense ratios than that, and in my experience Price is not trustworthy. You'll find many lower expense funds at Fidelity, and the company has a better track record with retirement accounts.
Curious what led you to conclude they are not trustworthy. I have had accounts with them for maybe 20 years, never had a problem.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Curious what led you to conclude they are not trustworthy. I have had accounts with them for maybe 20 years, never had a problem.
+1
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Generally those type comments come from a bad experience with an organization. Who knows but I've tried to learn what makes people unhappy with an experience.

TRP like most fund companies charge a lot for their sector chasers. I don't think their offerings are better or worse than the others but I didn't look at the example.

While I wouldn't move money there, its not because I think something untrustworthy is going on.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

Put simply, clear cut fraud, but I don't want to divert from the OP's topic. To the OP, the brokerages most here seem to be happiest with are Fidelity, Vanguard, and Schwab. I believe all of them offer a global tech fund of their own, and you should be able to find the expense ratios at their respective sites.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Put simply, clear cut fraud, but I don't want to divert from the OP's topic. To the OP, the brokerages most here seem to be happiest with are Fidelity, Vanguard, and Schwab. I believe all of them offer a global tech fund of their own, and you should be able to find the expense ratios at their respective sites.
That's quite a claim. Care to provide details?

I'm all for index funds with the lowest of expense ratios, but I maintained a solo 401K at TRP until 2018 and thought they provided great service. I still use PRNEX as the proxy for "Commodities", as I can't find a low expense index fund to cover that part of our asset allocation.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weester View Post
Hi everyone,

Hope you are doing well. I have a question about Roth IRA with T.RowePrice provider and would like to ask your opinions. I have about 200k roth IRA with Troweprice investing in ( global technology fun PRGTX) for about more than 10 years now. It has been doing ok but the expense ratio is high (0.86%). I was wondering if I could move it to a different provider like vanguard or fidelity with the same fun but cheaper expense ratio. ?

thank you so much.
joe
No, you cannot get a lower expense ratio since it is part of the mutual fund's internal costs.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

I look at performance net of fees. The overall performance of the funds I chose has been consistently good. It would cost a lot in taxes to reduce fund expenses on taxable funds held since before indexing became a thing. And who knows if the net performance would be better?

An allegation of fraud deserves more of an explanation. Difficult to believe without details.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

thank you for your opinions. I check return of PRGTX return this year is ~12% vs VTI(vanguard index fund) is ~22%. I was wondering if i can roller to this vanguard VTI from trowprice PRGTX.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Put simply, clear cut fraud, . .
Wow! Pretty strong comment. Details would be helpful.

Been with them for 30 years and dad was with them for 50 years with no issues. I can understand a bad experience or ineptitude of an individual, but to accuse fraud of the entire company is..... interesting. Details please!
Old 12-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Wow! Pretty strong comment. Details would be helpful.
The part (that I bolded) is curious too. What does that even mean?

Quote:
You'll find many lower expense funds at Fidelity, and the company has a better track record with retirement accounts.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #13

Happy to share more after the authorities have finished their efforts, or by then you might hear about it from other sources.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Happy to share more after the authorities have finished their efforts, or by then you might hear about it from other sources.
That's an even more serious claim. Do you think my portfolio is safe?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
gone traveling

ERISA suit brought by current and former employees related to proprietary investments offered in their 401k.

https://www.pionline.com/courts/t-ro...les-erisa-suit
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
ERISA suit brought by current and former employees related to proprietary investments offered in their 401k.

https://www.pionline.com/courts/t-ro...les-erisa-suit
+1
Speaks to the organization not the investments. Not condoning the allegations behind the suit but its different from a fund that's being run improperly.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weester View Post
thank you for your opinions. I check return of PRGTX return this year is ~12% vs VTI(vanguard index fund) is ~22%. I was wondering if i can roller to this vanguard VTI from trowprice PRGTX.
If this is in a taxable brokerage you can't exchange one fund for another without incurring capital gains or losses. The concept of rollover doesn't apply to your example. Your example is called an exchange.

If your fund is held in an IRA then the capital gains are not taxable this year.

Is VTI available to trade in your account?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:48 AM   #18

Quote:
You'll find many lower expense funds at Fidelity.
+1
Old 12-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If this is in a taxable brokerage you can't exchange one fund for another without incurring capital gains or losses. The concept of rollover doesn't apply to your example. Your example is called an exchange.

If your fund is held in an IRA then the capital gains are not taxable this year.

Is VTI available to trade in your account?
VTI is not available to trade in my acct (troweprice.