Tariff relief rally

The gist of this has been reported by many news outlets, not just CNN. This is from CNBC:

"This is all constructive news for markets, however the overarching concerns in the US-China relationship remain, and thus should imply caution for markets past the short-term,” wrote Sacha Tihanyi, deputy head of emerging markets for TD Securities, in a note. Some of the bigger, structural “issues are not ones that we believe can be easily tackled in a 90-day period.”

CNBC has been beating the tariff issue to death for months. Heard an interview of a CEO-type today on CNBC where the CNBC reporter asked how their business was affected by the tariffs. His answer was that they hadn't really seen much change. The reporter seemed really disappointed that they didn't get an answer about how devastating the tariffs were.

It depends very much on the type of business they're in. Manufacturers that use imported steel, for instance, are hurting. I'm sure some businesses are barely affected, if at all.

But it the BONDS!!! It's not the tariff!!! -as reported by CNBC blowhards... :cool:

Well, bond yields are crashing. Ten year is down 10 points and thirty year is down 14 points as I type this. So bonds are surging in price, good thing we all have balanced portfolios!

I think the tariff relief rally just blew up!

Oh good gosh, LOOK at the Dow! :eek: The NYSE doesn't close for an hour and a half, and it is already down 700 points, at this instant. What a huge drop.

:banghead:

OK, just volatility but we don't have to actually like seeing this... :facepalm: I hadn't read your post and just went innocently/casually looking at the market levels, only to discover this mess.

Everything I'm reading about the talks with China ranges from moderately positive to very positive IMO. I think people will start realizing this and stocks will rally tomorrow. Of course Trump will make it sound better, but the truth is good anyway.

This "stock photo" summarizes what I dislike about the financial reporting of news outlets.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 36
Oh good gosh, LOOK at the Dow! :eek: The NYSE doesn't close for an hour and a half, and it is already down 700 points, at this instant. What a huge drop.

OK, just volatility but we don't have to actually like seeing this... :facepalm: I hadn't read your post and just went innocently/casually looking at the market levels, only to discover this mess.

What would happen if you wrote "W****!!" now? :LOL: ;) :angel:

Everything I'm reading about the talks with China ranges from moderately positive to very positive IMO. I think people will start realizing this and stocks will rally tomorrow. Of course Trump will make it sound better, but the truth is good anyway.

Can you tell us more about your very selective reading, where everything is cheery and bright with rainbows and unicorns?

And since the market is closed, I'm guessing there won't be much of a rally tomorrow. At least that's what I read.

What would happen if you wrote "W****!!" now? :LOL: ;) :angel:

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: Well I don't know! Somehow I'm just not "feeling it" right now. :D

Can you tell us more about your very selective reading, where everything is cheery and bright with rainbows and unicorns?

For example, the article Dow plunges more than 600 points on confusion over status of U.S.-China trade deal starts with the contradictions to what trump said and the headline is negative but then it says "White House National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow said there wasn’t an actual agreement for China to remove auto tariffs, but that he expected China to eventually do it as a measure of good faith."

Then there's the self explanatory Trump holds out possible extension on 90-day China trade truce

And since the market is closed, I'm guessing there won't be much of a rally tomorrow. At least that's what I read.

I think I meant Thursday.

For once, I actually seem to have done something right (though unwittingly). I sold a fair amount of Fidelity Contrafund and Total Stock Market in a retirement account yesterday in preparation for 2018 withdrawal soon.

This whipsaw market is something else.

Last edited:
For example, the article Dow plunges more than 600 points on confusion over status of U.S.-China trade deal starts with the contradictions to what trump said and the headline is negative but then it says "there wasn’t an actual agreement for China to remove auto tariffs, but that he expected China to eventually do it as a measure of good faith...:

The updated version starts:
"The economic agreement President Trump said he reached with Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Saturday showed signs of unraveling Tuesday, with the White House threatening new penalties against Beijing and multiple officials seeking to downplay expectations for an eventual deal."

LOL! If those two article comprise the "everything I read" list, I think you may need to expand your field a bit.

The updated version starts:
"The economic agreement President Trump said he reached with Chinese leader Xi Jinping on Saturday showed signs of unraveling Tuesday, with the White House threatening new penalties against Beijing and multiple officials seeking to downplay expectations for an eventual deal."

LOL! If those two article comprise the "everything I read" list, I think you may need to expand your field a bit.

Yeah, the BS about what was already reached was BS, but there's still the practical entirety of the 90 days which could then be extended.

Went from 50% cash to 85% on Friday, since I am almost next door to Argentina I got the "news" a bit sooner!:dance:

Boho, I'll bet you $100 that stocks will NOT rally tomorrow.

Especially with the markets closed! :D

Turned out the Dow was down nearly 800 points, over 3%. Whew. If there isn't a rally on Thursday, we might be in for a rough ride.

Or not. :LOL: Honestly I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom