Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2022, 07:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
DCA
That worked well when I had a job.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 07:08 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We been using the car for longer trips (30 mpg vs 20 mpg for the truck) nad buying more pork vs beef... just minor belt tightening.
Are you already spending all your available annual income?

I just wonder about belt tightening due to market conditions when someone already has plenty of funds.

No belt tightening here because Covid and family obligations forced us to way underspend for over 2 years, and we still have a lot of catching up to do.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Are you already spending all your available annual income?

I just wonder about belt tightening due to market conditions when someone already has plenty of funds.

No belt tightening here because Covid and family obligations forced us to way underspend for over 2 years, and we still have a lot of catching up to do.
Nah, reality is that we probably only pend 1/2 of what we could... I just don't like waste.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:28 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

But you are buying pork instead of beef even though you like beef better?
Old 08-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I like both, but I do like beef better. We do have some beef, just not as much. Really no need to, but frugality is just in our bones.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
It must be wearying to have to continually reassess things every day. I'm just sticking to my allocation. While we may well be in recession--and I'm sure the big techs are starting to lay off--the employment data is in full employment. If the Fed keeps raising, a la Volcker, that will change, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it.
If the market declines another 10% I will buy about 3% of stocks. Rinse and repeat.
To attempt to time the bottom of a recession is a fool's errand. No-one knows how this will go. But maybe you should be Fed Chair; I'm convinced there are 4 or 5 candidates here. (Not me, though.)
Not wearing at all, I have fun with it. You do you, and it would be nice if we don't insult each other here...and "To attempt to time the bottom of a recession is a fool's errand" and "But maybe you should be Fed Chair" are veiled insults.

I don't have to time the bottom of the recession, nor am I changing the majority of my allocation (I remain 48% equities). What I try to do is to generate additional alpha via stock selection and by doing some adding or trimming, try to goose beta over market performance by a bit.

I have more money now than I've earned my entire life, after taxes, after divorce, after paying for houses, after paying for too many cars, after buying land, after an RV and associated expenses, after taxes, social security, and Medicare taxes, after fully funding college expenses, after ...

All of the above is because of my ability/luck to manage my own investments....and if I had been fed chair, I would not have pumped endless money into the system (not just Powell but excess QE since we successfully came out of the housing crisis).
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:51 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, reality is that we probably only pend 1/2 of what we could... I just don't like waste.
Waste? You are belt tightening because you thought your spending was wasteful before?

I don’t really get it.

We don’t constrain spending at all because we are still underspending.

I don’t consider our spending wasteful. We spend according to our priorities. Yeah, we could buy lower quality, but what is the point? High quality and convenience/comfort is important to us, although we do keep an eye on value.

Quote:
I like both, but I do like beef better. We do have some beef, just not as much. Really no need to, but frugality is just in our bones.
And your heirs salute you!
Old 08-04-2022, 03:18 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I don't have to time the bottom of the recession, nor am I changing the majority of my allocation (I remain 48% equities). What I try to do is to generate additional alpha via stock selection and by doing some adding or trimming, try to goose beta over market performance by a bit.

I'm sure a little goosing is harmless, as opposed to trying to time by going all in or all out, which requires impeccable timing.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:43 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
I'm sure a little goosing is harmless, as opposed to trying to time by going all in or all out, which requires impeccable timing.
Not really, you just have to be in the ballpark on both ends. Hedge funds do this all the time.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:25 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not really, you just have to be in the ballpark on both ends. Hedge funds do this all the time.
I'm too chicken sh*t to do that.

I'm also a big supporter of the slogan "live to play another day", i.e. preservation of capital. Nor would I know what to do with the money if I had 10X of what I have now.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote