Join Early Retirement Today

The coming bubble
Old 07-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The coming bubble

I listened to a webcast by a Schwab SVP yesterday, and he talked a bit about what he thinks the next bubble will be. He thinks it will be “Green stocks.” He didn’t name any specific companies, but thinks we are at the beginning of the bubble with a long ways to run.
Is this the time to invest in “Green” companies, and if so, which companies are worth investing in?
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #2

So, contemplating not just timing the market, but timing a particular sector? Based on the opinion of some guy at Schwab?

Probably not a good idea.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
So, contemplating not just timing the market, but timing a particular sector? Based on the opinion of some guy at Schwab?

Probably not a good idea.

I don't plan on doing this but that's not how I saw the post. Nobody is rounding up all their money and picking/timing green stocks. It's like all those people who thought microsoft was a good bet 30+ years ago. And Apple. And some others that paid off way better than indexing. With or without buy+hold. I don't see anything wrong with doing some homework learning something and taking a prudent carve out of funds to put into what is/could be a lucrative up and coming sector. That's sort of the essence of what we've all done here. Invest vs don't. Stocks vs bank account/cookie jar. etc etc etc. We're all betting on the SP500 or the Russell 2000 the same way. Now, if he wants to "blow the wad" on Green Company International or the Rydex Green Sector Index Leveredged Fund I'd suggest just buying SPY's.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #4

I have 64 individual stocks currently, plus some broad market ETFs. Looking for investments in companies/sectors I currently don’t own is not timing the market.
Last year I moved some money into international ETFs based on some technical data this “guy” from Schwab pointed to. It was a good move for me. YMMV
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since "Green" is a newer category, it will be difficult to say with certainty that a company is actually green. There is marketing that goes into the green label, and the company product could be used in non-green ways, and could cause an unforeseen environmental effect.

Younger generations feed the green monster by seeking green funds, aka ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance). OTH the generation may seek outperformance in Crypto investments, where the environmental harm is known (but ignored).

We definitely have bubbles, so Schwab VP is not wrong to throw a caution flag. Anything that causes a pause in knee-jerk investing behavior is a good thing.

And what is the video? Of course I didn't let that hold me back from commenting. Lol.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Since "Green" is a newer category, it will be difficult to say with certainty that a company is actually green. There is marketing that goes into the green label, and the company product could be used in non-green ways, and could cause an unforeseen environmental effect.

Younger generations feed the green monster by seeking green funds, aka ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance). OTH the generation may seek outperformance in Crypto investments, where the environmental harm is known (but ignored).

We definitely have bubbles, so Schwab VP is not wrong to throw a caution flag. Anything that causes a pause in knee-jerk investing behavior is a good thing.

And what is the video? Of course I didn't let that hold me back from commenting. Lol.

His point was this may be a good time to get into the green stocks, because the bubble is just forming. He anticipates a good ride up for a while before the burst. The video isn’t posted yet. They typically post a few weeks after the live webcast, which was Wednesday.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

In beginning of this year I invested into a few green stocks. It was before Biden was even in office right in 1st week of Jan. But I knew his agenda would push the green aspects. So reading the tea leaves and the old saying "follow the money", I jumped on some and rode them up. Most did nice and I cashed out on some. Others i kept and recently have been down some, I still expect them to go up more. In the end all investing in the market is trying to determine hot sectors or hot companies to get the best returns. The individual stocks is a small part of my total, majority i still have in broad index funds. The individual is just my way to have fun and try to beat the index performance.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Here's a Schwab article which has some fodder about green.
https://www.schwab.com/resource-cent...nt/next-bubble

I see what they're doing. "Here's a bubble to invest in, but we know it won't pop for awhile."

Now I understand that green stocks cut across conventional equity sectors (like utilities, energy, etc.).
Old 07-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you enjoy stock picking as a hobby, go for it. Otherwise they’re just a distraction from real life.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Here's a Schwab article which has some fodder about green.

https://www.schwab.com/resource-cent...nt/next-bubble

I see what they're doing. "Here's a bubble to invest in, but we know it won't pop for awhile."

Now I understand that green stocks cut across conventional equity sectors (like utilities, energy, etc.).

I’ve been in utility stocks for years and they’ve done well.
I wonder how the hydrogen powered fuel cell is progressing? Seems like battery powered electric can only get us so far.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

No news here. There's always a bobble coming. There always those of the chattering class who opine on the bubbling sector and time of its demise. None of them publish data on the accuracy of their prior predictions.

If this guy knew anything useful he would not be working for a living .

Back to sleep now ....
Old 07-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I’ve been in utility stocks for years and they’ve done well.
I wonder how the hydrogen powered fuel cell is progressing? Seems like battery powered electric can only get us so far.
Maybe I’ll put some money into CMI.

https://apple.news/A-UUw7leUQIaVEvD59XDrMw
Old 07-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
Administrator

Thread discussion moved to “Stock Picking and Market Strategy” forum where it seems a better fit.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I’ll put some money into CMI. https://apple.news/A-UUw7leUQIaVEvD59XDrMw

From Rick Ferri's "All About
Asset Allocation" : "There is a classic saying on Wall Street, 'What everybody already knows is not worth knowing.' "
Old 07-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #15

"green stocks" seems a bit nonspecific to me. I think there are some interesting ideas in n alternate fuels, but I think you have to be careful casting a side net.

Electric vehicles and batteries for example, is hardly an undiscovered space. Quite the contrary.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
No news here. There's always a bobble coming. There always those of the chattering class who opine on the bubbling sector and time of its demise. None of them publish data on the accuracy of their prior predictions.

Back to sleep now ....
+1 Exactly!

Listening to guys like him might be entertaining, but other than that it's a total waste of time IMO.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 Exactly!

Listening to guys like him might be entertaining, but other than that it's a total waste of time IMO.

Listening to guys like him gives me ideas to think about and research. He doesn’t offer individual stock picks like TV pundits, but offers thoughts on where folks should look for some good investments. No one is suggesting you should listen to him or me. I know what has worked for me for many years. Our wealth has come from choosing good stocks. Yes, we make mistakes and I’m not afraid to correct a bad choice.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post

Back to sleep now ....
Or they emphasize the one time they get it right like Elaine Garzarelli back in 1987. She got the crash correct, but then had the worst performing growth stock fund the next year and underperformed the SP500 for many years afterwards.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #19

This thread has been derailed.

Just close it.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Listening to guys like him gives me ideas to think about and research. He doesn’t offer individual stock picks like TV pundits, but offers thoughts on where folks should look for some good investments. No one is suggesting you should listen to him or me. I know what has worked for me for many years. Our wealth has come from choosing good stocks. Yes, we make mistakes and I’m not afraid to correct a bad choice.
Our investments always centered around the Total Stock/Total Bond funds. I find our taxable portfolio holdings to be a good source for discussion.

My S-I-L is into green investments. One or two picks paid for her new roof. Our roof was paid in cash. We both now have no leaks, and are very happy.

I read Schwab Insights and do nothing. She dreams of the future and wagers on an idea. We both woke up this morning and enjoy thinking about stuff.

Color me interested in hearing more about your searches...