Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

The Cryptocurrency Thread 2
Old 02-11-2022, 04:01 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I thought the Wells Fargo document cited above had some good remarks.

From the summary:
You highlighted a few nits, which is typical, but the major points for anyone actually interested, according to the Wells Fargo authors, are:

“Key takeaways
The digital asset ecosystem has taken several quantum leaps forward since the creation of bitcoin in 2009, and cryptocurrency is now widely considered a viable investable asset. Novel utilities associated with the technology have been discovered, the global cryptocurrency market capitalization has skyrocketed, and there have been marked changes in the quality of digital asset offerings and institutional participation.

This topical report endeavors to first discuss the essential factors that investors should contemplate while seeking exposure to cryptocurrencies. It will then explore the various entities through which institutional investors may gain access to digital assets, while also highlighting the primary differentiators and drawbacks of each method.

Without an exchange-traded fund (ETF) approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), investors seeking exposure to digital assets may either make a direct purchase through a crypto exchange or gain indirect access via mutual fund derivatives, a grantor trust, or a private placement fund.”
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting case, a couple stole $4.5 billion in bitcoin, bragged about it and then tried to move it through very schemes to hide it.

They believed their stolen gains were untraceable.

But the IRS and other forensic firms traced and recovered $3.6 billion.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ryptocurrency/
Old 02-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
You highlighted a few nits, which is typical,
Far from highlighting nits, I simply quoted the article's summary.

But I realize you interpret it differently. I'll say no more.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Interesting case, a couple stole $4.5 billion in bitcoin, bragged about it and then tried to move it through very schemes to hide it.

They believed their stolen gains were untraceable.

But the IRS and other forensic firms traced and recovered $3.6 billion.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ryptocurrency/
I've been tracking that case too but don't quite know what to make of it yet. Does it suggest that authorities eventually can track Bitcoin thefts? Not sure. The actual hack occurred in 2016 -- hopefully security has improved since then. Waiting for more facts to come out.

I don't believe the couple has been charged with the actual theft vs. attempts to launder the coin. They may just be pawns, and charges against them may be tools to get them to flip on the actual thieves.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #445
Administrator

Money laundering, which is the charge against them, is a crime in and of itself, independent of the original theft. And it's one that can land you in prison for 20 years, and subject to asset forfeiture.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Money laundering, which is the charge against them, is a crime in and of itself, independent of the original theft. And it's one that can land you in prison for 20 years, and subject to asset forfeiture.
Absolutely, which is why a footsoldier might think of flipping on a boss if it meant a lighter sentence.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:02 PM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Far from highlighting nits, I simply quoted the article's summary.

But I realize you interpret it differently. I'll say no more.

If you’d quoted the entire Summary, rather than the three most cautionary sentences in the entire 8 page paper, it would have seemed more fair to my post. Here it is:

“Summary
For today’s investor trying to figure out if we are early or late to cryptocurrency investing, looking at technology investing in the mid-to-late 1990s seems reasonable. At that time, the internet hit a hyper-adoption phase and never looked back. Cryptocurrencies appear to be at a similar stage today. Cryptocurrency investment options today, however, are still maturing and we advise patience. For now, we suggest the consideration of only professionally managed private placements. We do not recommend any of the other current investment options, such as mutual funds, ETFs, grantor trusts, and individual cryptocurrency speculation. We are hopeful that greater regulatory clarity in 2022 brings higher quality investment options.”

Wells Fargo Research Institute has a variety of related papers here, FYI: https://www.wellsfargoadvisors.com/r...tocurrency.htm
Old 02-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #448
Administrator

The moderator team has determined that the topic of cryptocurrency has been covered and exhausted, so this thread is closed and further discussion on this topic will be deferred until the team feels there has been material change and new discussion is warranted.
Closed Thread