Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One hour of charging gets you about 4 miles of driving. For that 2nd car that we could use to make a grocery run once or twice a week, it will work OK.

Is this because of low amp x voltage in US homes? Homes standard can draw 3.7kW from the grid here, so that's roughly three times more.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Or on a microlevel: today _every_ car needs to gas up at a gas station.
Nah, not really true.

https://imaginethat.org/stories/ther....google.com%2F
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Is this because of low amp x voltage in US homes? Homes standard can draw 3.7kW from the grid here, so that's roughly three times more.
No. The standard wall outlets in the US are wired for 15A x 115V = 1.7kW. Unless the home owner gets a larger and special outlet installed, he is limited by that.

At the entry to my home, the master breaker is 200A x 115V x 2 = 46kW. That is the total that I can draw. Americans are energy hogs.

My AC/heatpump has the breaker size of 50A x 230V = 11.5kW.

The kitchen range also has a breaker for 50A x 230V.

The water heater breaker is 30A x 230V, etc...

PS. In the US, portable appliances that are plugged into the wall are limited to 15A @ 115V for each circuit. A home may have 5 to 10 circuits like that, depending on size of the home. A circuit feeds several outlets along its run. For example, all the outlets in my bedroom are on one 15A circuit.

Fixed appliances like AC, kitchen ovens, etc... are wired for 230V, and up to 50A each. Many EV owners get an outlet installed for 50A x 230V in the garage to get faster charging.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
We had one of those too, by Shell. Shut down after a year.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #345
Give me a forum ...

Was listening to CNBC this morning on XM radio and a law firm had an advertisement about the "funding secured" tweet, and getting compensation for the damage done to a TSLA trader in that timeframe.

That was fast.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #346
Give me a forum ...

If I were a Tesla shareholder, I would be mad like hell at these random tweets.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #347
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Was listening to CNBC this morning on XM radio and a law firm had an advertisement about the "funding secured" tweet, and getting compensation for the damage done to a TSLA trader in that timeframe.

That was fast.

Heck, I thought one would have been filed in the next day or two after the tweet... from the shorts...

Now I can see that the longs who bought because of that tweet have a loss also...
Old 08-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #348

If Tesla stock doesn't get to $359.87/sh by 12/1, high chances then that the stock plummets significantly as Tesla would then have to use cash to redeem the convertible debt that comes due in March. Since Tesla had $2.2 billion in cash at the end of June, their burn rate for the next 3 quarters and then having to come up with the $920 million for the convertible stock redemption would really put Tesla in a bind.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #349
Give me a forum ...

I saw press releases soliciting class action clients immediately after the “funding secured” tweet. I was traveling at the time and not watching the news as much. I tuned in Bloomberg on XM in the middle of a heated debate on TSLA and was able to guess the subject of the tweet. It’s hard to imagine that someone isn’t benefiting from advance knowledge of these tweets. Seems irresponsible and inadequate to disclose material information this way. Of course, it ‘s not just Musk.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Just invested in Tesla shares today when it dipped to $310. But I own an Audi and a Bimmer
But the other luxury manufacturer announced investing 12 Billion dollar investment in electric cars with production starting 1/2 half of next year (5 years from now in TeslaTime) Stock is giving you chance to purchase more for cheaper!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If Tesla stock doesn't get to $359.87/sh by 12/1, high chances then that the stock plummets significantly as Tesla would then have to use cash to redeem the convertible debt that comes due in March. Since Tesla had $2.2 billion in cash at the end of June, their burn rate for the next 3 quarters and then having to come up with the $920 million for the convertible stock redemption would really put Tesla in a bind.
Yes, Tesla has that $920 million convertible bond at $359.9, coming due on Feb 2019. A bit further out is $1.38 billion convertible bond at the same price, due on Feb 2021. Stock is now at $289.

And the rumor today is that the Model 3 production falls again. Aye, aye, aye... It's interesting to watch, even though I have no money in this game.

PS. Another debt coming due even sooner this November 1st is a note inherited from SolarCity after the merger. It is also convertible, but at a stock price of $560.64. Aye, aye, aye... Obviously, investors were very optimistic in the those days.

Goldman downgrade
Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #352
Recycles dryer sheets

Goldman downgrade

Tesla took one to the teeth with a crushing GS downgrade to $210 in six months! Ouch. Always thot Tesla had a hell of a product but with the big boys waking up BMW, VW, Mercedes and a Chinese company known as the "Tesla killer" entering the market it's all headwinds from here.
Suggest you take your profits and pick lower hanging fruit.
PUTS on TSLA for me when we get a little recovery high.

As a kid I could always tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were and extension cord and a toaster!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #353

Musk has been extremely quiet on Twitter lately, the Board must have finally set some ground rules for him. With stock dropping and the GS downgrade I'd expect him to have been visible.
Buying Opportunity
Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #354
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buying Opportunity

Dig a little deeper than Goldman does in their downgrade and you will find that Tesla is still way ahead of the "Tesla Killers".

Audi and Jaguar are the only real current competitors. Each, with a single electric vehicle (SUV) this year (aside from the cheaper Nissans and Chevys). I like the Audi and Jag EV SUV's, but they are not superior to the Tesla Model X on paper (performance and price).

The Mercedes doesn't even come out until late next year; around the same time Tesla should be rolling out the new Model Y (smaller SUV based on the Model 3 platform). None of the Tesla competition is advertising superior range or price to Tesla and they are not serious players in autonomous vehicles (yet).

Regarding Model 3 production; it is currently between 4 and 5 thousand per week. Under desired production, but why would anyone assume that the trajectory is not upward with back orders stretching out several months?

Lastly, Tesla is patent rich in both the EV and autonomous realms.

Buy low, sell high.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Musk has been extremely quiet on Twitter lately, the Board must have finally set some ground rules for him. With stock dropping and the GS downgrade I'd expect him to have been visible.
Just saw that Musk attacked Unsworth again, the British diver involved in the Thai cave rescue, calling him a child rapist. The latter 's lawyer said they already started a lawsuit against Musk.

He is reportedly working day and night at Tesla factory. How did he have any time to surf the Web, or calling anybody names?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #356

Quote:
Just saw that Musk attacked Unsworth again, the British diver involved in the Thai cave rescue, calling him a child rapist. The latter 's lawyer said they already started a lawsuit against Musk.

He is reportedly working day and night at Tesla factory. How did he have any time to surf the Web, or calling anybody names?
I don't know. I know when I was working day and night (before FIRE) I'd barely have time to go to the bathroom and respond to email (work) let alone surf the web.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Wonder how folks fare with Tesla's out of warranty.

Hopefully they are good at fixing the car. My understanding is that not many mechanics will work on them. Can owners get full circuit diagrams for the car? Diagnostic tools are likely proprietary, and unobtanium. Spare parts, how is the supply?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
...Can owners get full circuit diagrams for the car? Diagnostic tools are likely proprietary, and unobtanium. Spare parts, how is the supply?
From what I have seen on the Web, Tesla owners might as well treat the cars as disposable after the warranty runs out.

Couldn't find again the article on a guy who bought a model S early, being a supporter. He turned so mad when the warranty expired, and he could not get help to fix simple things. He said he almost destroyed the car out of frustration, but in the end took it apart to troubleshoot and fix it himself.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #359

Quote:
From what I have seen on the Web, Tesla owners might as well treat the cars as disposable after the warranty runs out.

Couldn't find again the article on a guy who bought a model S early, being a supporter. He turned so mad when the warranty expired, and he could not get help to fix simple things. He said he almost destroyed the car out of frustration, but in the end took it apart to troubleshoot and fix it himself.
So in 8 years, after the battery and drive unit warranty is out, we'll see a load of Tesla's in the junk yard and getting ready for recycling. Don't know if that's really good for the environment. Or maybe once critical mass is reached we'll see more mechanics who will service these.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #360

Quote:
High 90's all summer for me in Florida. My gas engine car is black on black with leather, has no problem cooling down in only a minute or two. Or I can get it cooled down before I get into it by using remote start.
I went car shopping in Miami a few years ago, but was disappointed in the dealer not having the color I wanted. The vast majority of the cars on the lot were white, with a few red, green and silver vehicles mixed in-really, not much of a selection. So I asked my salesperson why so many white cars? "Well, we don't sell many black cars here in Miami, sir." It was in July. Oppps.
Closed Thread