Thoughts on YETI

moneymaker

Recycles dryer sheets
Huge brand and marketing campaign has really enabled growth in this company....IPOed back in oct 2018. Sitting around $26-27/share right now.

When Facebook ipoed then went down to the high teens, most analyst were very negative. FB is over $180/share now in less than 6 years.

So, YETI?

YETI products must appeal to someone, that's all I seem to see in the stores anymore. They haven't justified their cost to me, i'm not the person who needs hot coffee 8 hours later, or to keep ice for a week in the outback.

Yeti might stick around like Under Armor. But their products benefit mostly from branding/marketing. They are decent quality but there isn’t a deep moat between them and their competition. I think it more likely yeti is a fad name and most of their growth is done.

Yeti might stick around like Under Armor. But their products benefit mostly from branding/marketing. They are decent quality but there isn’t a deep moat between them and their competition. I think it more likely yeti is a fad name and most of their growth is done.
I think most of the popularity had been driven by word of mouth. It is viewed by hunters fishermen and people in warmer climates as far better than competitive products.

For me it is not especially compelling as I am not trying to keep ice chests cold for several days, etc.

It' likely to go up, unless it goes down. Random walks are like that.

My DD gave me a Yeti cup as gift and I love it. It’s the best cup I’ve used for morning coffee.

I got one a couple of years ago and love it. Gave a cooler cup to my camping buddies and they rave about it. Whether that means the stock will rocket up remains to be seen. There have been many products that "I" personally loved that went nowhere.

Our grandkids got Yeti water bottles for Christmas. Knowing that they are expensive I asked if they weren't afraid someone would steal them? They responded that they weren't worried about that since "everyone" in the high school already has one. Not sure if this is more of a reflection on the product or on the affluence of our community.

The thing is, all the professional players in the market already know all this stuff and more. So it is already baked into the stock price.

With 10,000 mutual funds investing in roughly 3600 US stocks, there is no stock price and no company that has not been studied by many stock-pickers.

My DD gave me a Yeti cup as gift and I love it. It’s the best cup I’ve used for morning coffee.

We just discovered the yeti cups last fall. That's our go to gift for family/friends now. We love them and will likely buy travel mugs as well.

One caveat, after about 5 months of every other day use, the plastic coating they use is starting to chip off. A big disappointment given the price.

Love my Yetis, I have 30 oz, 20 oz, coffee mug and wine tumbler. I received most of these as gifts from my kids. Really keeps stuff hot and/or cold. Washes well in dishwasher and have seen no wear and tear on them. I also give them as gifts.

Yeti, Under Armour, Duluth Trading, LL Bean et al.... One can always find good products with great marketing that will command exceptional margins; for a while.

I prefer to troll through Bass Pro Shops looking for Red Head products on sale. Probably not as leading edge as the aforementioned, but good enough for me. Stock valuation? As an index investor, I suspect I own most of the above somewhere. :popcorn:

One caveat, after about 5 months of every other day use, the plastic coating they use is starting to chip off. A big disappointment given the price.
Thanks for the warning - I’ll be on the lookout. So far so good, just under 3 months of daily use.

Where's room for expansion? You can only sell so many coffee cups and thermoses and stuff, right!?

Yeti has lost a large following of outdoorsman not so long ago due to the lack of support for the 2nd amendment.

the "wanna be's" think they have to have a Yeti

Yeti? In a word....overpriced. You can buy very comparable products for much much less.

+1

Lets face it a $30+ travel mug or a $250 cooler that holds little more than a six pack.... Only by having a decades long branding can those price points survive for long. Eventually the fickle masses will move on.

False news, according to yeti. Yeti supports US Constitution and 2nd amendment
https://www.yeti.com/en_US/press/official-statement-from-yeti.html
I don't think that's false news actually. While it may be true that yeti supports the 2nd ammendment and US constitution, I know a lot of people personally who have vowed never to buy another yeti product. Whether or not they stick to that I don't know, but I've heard local folks say it. Personally I'm too cheap to buy their stuff.

Personally I would not touch Yeti, but that is on the assumption they have not branched out very far from coolers, mugs, etc. It is my impression they are more a lifestyle brand than having any novel technology. Even assuming they make the greatest cooler and travel mug ever the market is not that big. It is not like shoes or clothing that wear out or where styles change and need to be bought somewhat frequently. I used a 15 year old Thermos today and it worked great.

I don't think that's false news actually. While it may be true that yeti supports the 2nd ammendment and US constitution, I know a lot of people personally who have vowed never to buy another yeti product. Whether or not they stick to that I don't know, but I've heard local folks say it. Personally I'm too cheap to buy their stuff.
Yes, we are too cheap, also. In our home, not one Yeti product. If I went on excursions or kids' soccer tournaments, I would likely see Yeti products in use, though.

Because the controversy is about a year old, I read a few news stories, to recall how this started. IMO, there is nothing to it, although certain group certainly got more airtime because of it.

About the statement which I tagged as false news, I now see that one could focus on the first half of sentence, essentially being, there are people who will not buy the product. That is certainly true, but I'd add that a greater number of consumers are buying the product, as the earnings growth is way up. Focusing on the second part of quoted sentence, it is false statement to say that Yeti lacks support for the 2nd Amendment.

I wouldn't buy the stock, but would accept a gift of a travel mug!

my big coleman I bought on sale for less than 60 bucks. Works great for my purposes. The longest I need a cooler for is 4-5 days over a long 4th of July holiday on the beach. We load it up with ice on day one and on day 4 stuff is still cold. I have spend less that $300 in my whole life of these types of products. Small market and a flash in the pan (Yeti). Would not buy the product nor the stock.

Back
Top Bottom