Timing the market and elections

Seat belt light is on, a few people are actually buckling. That's about it.

My plan has been to have enough in cash so that I'm not forced to touch my investments for at least 7 years. So I can wait out whatever turmoil happens. :)

Why does a person write NO POLITICS! followed by a post that is about elections?

Ha

Oh.
OK - No PARTISAN Politics. Just about the financial conversation.

Lately the market tanks after an 8-year term. 2000, 2008, 2016?

I did a very un-Bogleheaded thing (again) and parked my $3M in cash about three weeks ago. I already made $200k this year so I took the luxury of heading to safety. Stupid yes but I dodged a $20K loss so far.

When will I re-enter? After the market crashes, or the dust settles.

I'm back in tomorrow at COB after the bloodbath.

I'm light on the Bond Fund side of my Allocation. I may add to my FSITX near the Close today. The Chart I saw on TV this morning had quite a bump, would be nice to lock in those numbers.

I'm back in tomorrow at COB after the bloodbath.

Shucks I didn't get the knife-edge re-entry point I was hoping for today. Imma stay out for another couple days and hope there's not a big run-up. Sorry folks but I need a cataclysm! j/k I'll do fine.

I admit that I market-timed the second half of my RMD recently to take advantage of the recent bump in stocks. My options included taking it sometime prior to 1/1/17, so I took it now. We'll see if it was a wise move.

I missed the window of opportunity the morning of the 9th. But if I were a betting man, and I am to a degree, I would be very bullish on rising equities, interest rates, and inflation for the next couple of years.

The market surprised everyone again on 11/9/16 - as usual!

I have no idea what will happen in the near term. Looks like we might have a Thanksgiving/Santa Claus rally but in the face of treasuries already having suddenly jumped back up to where we started this year, that seems pretty amazing. Equities are certainly ignoring interest rate moves right now.

My instincts are to lighten up as equities move higher.

Shucks I didn't get the knife-edge re-entry point I was hoping for today. Imma stay out for another couple days and hope there's not a big run-up. Sorry folks but I need a cataclysm! j/k I'll do fine.

OK so Mr Greed was tapping on Mr Fear's shoulder so today I got back in 33% into the Total Stock Market funds of my Fidelity & Vanguard IRAs. Prefer cash to bond funds for the balance/ballast ATM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom