Join Early Retirement Today

Today is always the hardest day to buy!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am sitting on 83% cash/treas bills right now. I have been waiting very impatiently to start nibbling again at the S&P 500. Volume is looking good for a big bite near the close.

Then my Father's favorite words come to mind!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nible nible nible goes the rebalancer. Second chance at the 10% off sale. Are you buying the index or do you see some bargins in the bin? What would Warren do? Buy more Apple?
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gobble, gobble, gobble, goes the market timer?

Well, I would, if I had 83% in cash as the OP. As it is, I may hold my nose and buy a minuscule 5-figure sum, just so I can claim I bought at the low later.

Darn, it's hard to buy when seeing my Quicken screen full of red ink.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

I will give you credit just for thinking about buying today. A mans got to know his limitations.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

This market is crazy. Apple is still down, but some semiconductors like Applied Material opened down more than 3%, then rapidly climbed to 7% gain compared to yesterday's close. If you blink, you miss it. A change of 10% in matter of minutes.

Day trader's delight. Too bad I am not good at day trading.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This market is crazy. Apple is still down, but some semiconductors like Applied Material opened down more than 3%, then rapidly climbed to 7% gain compared to yesterday's close. If you blink, you miss it. A change of 10% in matter of minutes.

It works both ways for day traders. Someone has probably short sold at 3% down.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

And a good day to ignore the market and/or talking heads on TV. I took a quick listen on CNBC this AM after yesterday's sell off and they were discussing just how LONG today was going to be and what the market might do. I suppose if you were day trading it *could* be a long day, but for me...thankfully...just another day.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought some today. I buy and hold long term dividend payers and when they go on sale I say thank you and buy some.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

A juggler has to catch a falling knife sometime.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Emotional Me is distressed by falls in the indices today.

Brainy Me whispers "That's why we've been cash-heavy lately. Nibble, nibble, nibble...."

(H/t to Spock who beat me to the "falling knife" reference.)
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I am sitting on 83% cash/treas bills right now. I have been waiting very impatiently to start nibbling again at the S&P 500. Volume is looking good for a big bite near the close.

Good luck. Buying the dip can work, but I would be careful in these times. I personally don't see anything on the horizon that is going to turn this market around, in the near-term anyway. Seems like we are overdue for a pullback after 8-9 pretty good years. And there could be some big political bombshells dropped soon that could really roil the markets. But I have no crystal ball, so I could be way off the mark. That is one reason why I am mostly out of equities these days.

I'd be interested to know what Running Man thinks about buying the dips right now?
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m not nibbling today...I nibbled yesterday [emoji4]
Old 11-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Good luck. Buying the dip can work, but I would be careful in these times. I personally don't see anything on the horizon that is going to turn this market around, in the near-term anyway. Seems like we are overdue for a pullback after 8-9 pretty good years. And there could be some big political bombshells dropped soon that could really roil the markets. But I have no crystal ball, so I could be way off the mark. That is one reason why I am mostly out of equities these days.

I'd be interested to know what Running Man thinks about buying the dips right now?
Yeah, there may be a rally after a hard day down today due to oversold conditions, but a lot of what is happening seems to be overpriced stocks in the face or rising interest rates and a slowing global economy, so it just doesn’t feel like we’re done with the selling yet.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #14

i buy my max allowed and catchup TSP shares every payday, they'll be worth bunches in 10 years !!!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, there may be a rally after a hard day down today due to oversold conditions, but a lot of what is happening seems to be overpriced stocks in the face or rising interest rates and a slowing global economy, so it just doesn’t feel like we’re done with the selling yet.
Or any other talking points that CNBC can put up in loud, flashy fonts. There will ALWAYS be something. Much of the time, there is *no* good rhyme or reason. No one has given me a good reason why recently stocks tend to take an immediate hit after a good earnings season. There is *no* good reason, and looking for a reason (or reasons) for stocks doing what they do is a fool's game. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling anyone here a fool...it's just fatiguing with all the "bad" news over the last number of days weeks months years decades forever.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Bought some yesterday (dow components), bought some more this morning and it's looking like I may buy more this afternoon. Still over 90% cash in what I consider my risk capital bucket.

Even looking at oil again after today's drop.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Or any other talking points that CNBC can put up in loud, flashy fonts. There will ALWAYS be something. Much of the time, there is *no* good rhyme or reason. No one has given me a good reason why recently stocks tend to take an immediate hit after a good earnings season. There is *no* good reason, and looking for a reason (or reasons) for stocks doing what they do is a fool's game. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling anyone here a fool...it's just fatiguing with all the "bad" news over the last number of days weeks months years decades forever.
Sure, which is why I rebalance rather than market time.

Doesn’t mean I won’t play the speculative talking game.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #18

In the end I did nothing today and will look at the "technical s" again after the holiday's!

I did however use the day to take a walk along the Pacific ocean, stopping on my favorite bluff to have a nice blueberry cheesecake and a Americano!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought 1000 shares of Celgene near end of day for $66.80

It was like bargain day.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #20

Do you like BIO TECHNE?