Join Early Retirement Today

Too old?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Too old?

Am I too old to invest in anything with a high yield I have no IRA or 401k like others seem to have
DJ

ShrinkDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How old are you?

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc View Post
Am I too old to invest in anything with a high yield I have no IRA or 401k like others seem to have
DJ
I think you forgot some punctuation and telling us your age, if it's available.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How old are you?
His profile says 65.

Now to answer the question... Just my opinion, your mileage may vary....

At 65 you are not dead yet... and may very well have a couple decades left in you. A balanced portfolio makes sense.... Some fixed income (cash, cd, bonds, etc.) and some broad stock market exposure. Lots of people look at a ratio of stocks/fixed income between 40%/60% to 60%/40% as being relatively safe. You get the potential higher yields of stocks, with the capital preservation of fixed income.

No reason not to add some higher yield stuff to your portfolio unless you know you have a very limited time left on this earth.
Too old
Old 01-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Too old

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How old are you?

That piece of info would have helped, huh? I am a 68 year old guy in private practice
ShrinkDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc View Post
That piece of info would have helped, huh? I am a 68 year old guy in private practice
No, you are not too old. The actuaries would probably give you 20 or more years of life expectancy. That's an adequately long time in the investment world to be looking a little bit for yield.

There is a lot of talk around here about ratios, 60/40, etc. There is another way to look at the same situation called "buckets." The idea is to separate your money into two or three buckets based on when you will need it. Bucket #1 is very near term cash for upcoming needs. Often there is a middle bucket for expenses like buying a car, a big vacation, etc.. This one has maybe a 2-5 year horizon. The final bucket is for longer-term needs and typically this is the one where you can consider higher yielding assets like stocks. You can read about "buckets" various places on the internet. Even if you end up not taking that approach, researching it will help you to think about your problem.

To the extent possible at least your long term money should be in tax-sheltered accounts like a Roth. 68 is too old to not have this kind of savings. IMO you need to get at it. It is not too late to start and if you are self-employed you have a number of options. Contact Schwab or Fidelity if you have a local office and want some face-to-face contact. Add Vanguard to the list for good support but not face-to-face. Any of them can explain your options and help you get going.

You can get into a lot of trouble with the phrase "high yield" too. When you see that phrase, think "high risk." Risk and reward go together. Your new broker friend can help you sort the higher-yield opportunities into piles and get rid of the hand grenades.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe a little backs story of how you got into this pickle, how much you currently have saved for retirement, and any plans on how long you will work ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a link that suggest the stock allocation based on age:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-outdated.asp

The 100 minus your age makes sense to me...but this rule is only a guide. You can be more aggressive by using 110 or 120 minus your age as the article suggest and this may also depend on your health and your financial situation.

I personally prefer a more conservative approach of 90 minus my age because at age 90 I want to be 100% bonds or cash.

I do not want to be age 90, which is slightly over my life expectancy, and have any significant stock investment. This is because I do not want to experience a stock market crash which may take 3 to 7 years to recover. At age 90, I may be dead before the stock market recovers from a stock market crash.

Like the article suggest, it really depends on how much risk you want to take as you get older. Everyone's risk tolerance is different.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi doc,

It's very difficult to even begin to answer your question. So I have some questions of my own:
-Do you plan to retire?
-Do you have debt?
-Are experienced/comfortable with money in equities?
Others will probably have additional questions. Ultimately though you will have to decide for yourself.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
Here is a link that suggest the stock allocation based on age:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-outdated.asp

I personally prefer a more conservative approach of 90 minus my age because at age 90 I want to be 100% bonds or cash.

I do not want to be age 90, which is slightly over my life expectancy, and have any significant stock investment. This is because I do not want to experience a stock market crash which may take 3 to 7 years to recover. At age 90, I may be dead before the stock market recovers from a stock market crash.

Like the article suggest, it really depends on how much risk you want to take as you get older. Everyone's risk tolerance is different.
Others use 110 minus age as a guide as the link suggest. I'm in the conservative camp like you.