Total Market VG and FD funds are not equal. Is there a better fund?

Brook2

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been doing research on what stock Index fund at Fidelity is similar to Vanguard Total Stock Market VTSAX - and it seems a lot of people compare it to Fidelity Zero Total Market Index FZROX. But when I look at the 6 month return, it is almost a 6% difference (!), Vanguard being higher.

Is there a more accurate fund at Fidelity, that is comparable to the Vanguard fund (Total Stock Market VTSAX)?

Last edited:
If you prefer Vanguard VTSAX, just buy VTI. It is identical to admiral mutual fund shares, but with the small advantages of ETFs. I believe Vanguard mutual index funds are structured where they don't hold the index directly, they hold the ETF. In other words VTSAX is just invested in 100% VTI. They do this for tax reasons and they patented it.

What are you using for the comparison? Are you looking just at price per share adjustments over the past 6 months? If so, you'll see they track (as a percentage of their individual starting prices) almost exactly until mid-to-late December 2022 when the dividends were paid out. FZROX's dividend was a higher percentage of its price per share than VTSAX for that month.

If you look at the charts that track a starting investment amount (usually $10,000) over the past six months, you'll see that these two investments track almost identically. Those types of charts will add back in the dividends.

If you prefer Vanguard VTSAX, just buy VTI. It is identical to admiral mutual fund shares, but with the small advantages of ETFs. I believe Vanguard mutual index funds are structured where they don't hold the index directly, they hold the ETF. In other words VTSAX is just invested in 100% VTI. They do this for tax reasons and they patented it.

Actually, my ultimate goal is just to move part of my assets from Vanguard into Fidelity (long story of why). I'm just trying to 'roughly' match the funds between the brokerages.

What are you using for the comparison? Are you looking just at price per share adjustments over the past 6 months? If so, you'll see they track (as a percentage of their individual starting prices) almost exactly until mid-to-late December 2022 when the dividends were paid out. FZROX's dividend was a higher percentage of its price per share than VTSAX for that month.

If you look at the charts that track a starting investment amount (usually $10,000) over the past six months, you'll see that these two investments track almost identically. Those types of charts will add back in the dividends.

Ok - Sounds like I misread the charts. That's a relief. :)

You can also look at FSKAX at Fidelity. That’s what I use and consider it better comparison to VTSAX.

I also own VTI at Fidelity, which is my personal preference since I like Vanguard funds/etfs.

I've been doing research on what stock Index fund at Fidelity is similar to Vanguard Total Stock Market VTSAX - and it seems a lot of people compare it to Fidelity Zero Total Market Index FZROX. But when I look at the 6 month return, it is almost a 6% difference (!), Vanguard being higher.

Is there a more accurate fund at Fidelity, that is comparable to the Vanguard fund (Total Stock Market VTSAX)?

I have had VTSAX forever, and have no problems with it. :confused: :confused: So if you like VTSAX better, then maybe buy it.

Actually, my ultimate goal is just to move part of my assets from Vanguard into Fidelity (long story of why). I'm just trying to 'roughly' match the funds between the brokerages.
If you buy the VTI exchange traded fund in your Fidelity account it is the same as buying Vanguard Total Stock/VTSAX... problem solved.

When I make that comparison at Yahoo Finance, I could not find an interval where FZROX trails performance of VTSAX.

As mentioned, if you want a Vanguard label, use VTI.

This page lists equivalent funds at major institutions. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio

If it makes any difference to you, FSKAX is portable to other brokerages whereas FZROX is not. See: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio#cite_note-Zero-6

Back
Top Bottom