Join Early Retirement Today

Trap Door opened today!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trap Door opened today!

Last week I said this:

"There will be one more push to 2860 area (S&P), then we retest the Dec lows, and then rally back to new highs at about 4,000 before this Bull market is finally over in about 3 years!"

Well the S&P only rallied to 2940, with the trap door (2770) now open, I expect the market to trade down to the 2200 area again. See you all their!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Last week I said this:

"There will be one more push to 2860 area (S&P), then we retest the Dec lows, and then rally back to new highs at about 4,000 before this Bull market is finally over in about 3 years!"

Well the S&P only rallied to 2940, with the trap door (2770) now open, I expect the market to trade down to the 2200 area again. See you all their!
I am just going to push all the buttons and hope the elevator door opens on the right floor! The latest tariff news is scariest yet IMHO. Rare earth tariff's will hurt. Hopefully we don't end up climbing out the trap.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pushing elevator buttons will not help if the cable already breaks, as the OP said.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I am just going to push all the buttons and hope the elevator door opens on the right floor! The latest tariff news is scariest yet IMHO. Rare earth tariff's will hurt. Hopefully we don't end up climbing out the trap.
Does not matter what the Chinese/North Koreans/Fed/Potus/My Grandmother do/say/threaten, It is only "market sentiment" that matters. The "higher probability" of this move lower has been baked into the cake for months.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Does not matter what the Chinese/North Koreans/Fed/Potus/My Grandmother do/say/threaten, It is only "market sentiment" that matters. This move lower has been baked into the cake for months.
Add 'analyst' to the list

Heard one say that there is an 85% chance of the markets moving up after a 3 month decline...based on some historical analysis somewhere. Which means there is a 15% chance it won't...if you listen to analysts
Old 05-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not believe the market will be "allowed" to go down...until 2020 elections are over.
pn3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn3069 View Post
I do not believe the market will be "allowed" to go down...until 2020 elections are over.
I believe your opinion is shared by many!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I sold 3 PUTs yesterday. Are these good strikes and expiry? I am mostly in cash and these puts are cash secured. So I am wondering, if I should sell more PUTs or wait for more fall, to earn more premium?Screenshot_2019-05-29-23-12-40-165_atws.app.jpg
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn3069 View Post
I actually think the opposite - there's going to be a lot of pressure on this market by those who can do so (the "real" money) to create fear, negate what to now has generally been a perception of a very strong economy (good for the current administration) and to ultimately try to effect change in leadership.

Guess we shall see..but I do think the next 12+ months are going to be a lot more volatile and potentially include some big drops once again (to try to cause a stampede to the exits which once it starts would easily be self-sustaining) than the last 5..in fact, I think it's already started with the fear-mongering about the inverted yield curve, bond market direction, etc. Plus, they're building on the "sell in May and go away" mantra that even your local shoe shine boy knows nowadays. It's almost obvious and I expect it will only get worse the closer we get to election season..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #10

Ha.

I’m going to lunch today with friends!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #11

I guess we will see in the next few months if the OP is right or not. I do think there is more downside than up for the summer and with the TW heating up.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well the S&P only rallied to 2940,
2940? Last week?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
2940? Last week?

-ERD50
Good catch! MY BAD, it should have read 2840!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last week I said this:

I am curious just how seriously you bet your portfolio on this view? What percentage do you put at risk on short term calls? If I recall correctly, you have a method that looks at some combo of moving averages.

BTW, my model which is most sensitive to yield curve inversion shows we are getting closer to a sell situation but not there yet.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I am curious just how seriously you bet your portfolio on this view? What percentage do you put at risk on short term calls? If I recall correctly, you have a method that looks at some combo of moving averages.

BTW, my model which is most sensitive to yield curve inversion shows we are getting closer to a sell situation but not there yet.
I am currently net 30% short on this view. I would like to be shorter but I do not use margin. I am strictly a technical trader. I use various trading models and my current model does not use MA although I am aware of the 200 day MA right below us, as well as the H&S top pattern we broke through yesterday. To be more specific I believe we are in the third wave of a corrective "C" wave. The A wave off the top we reached last year.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Last week I said this:

are you going to short sell the market then ?
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 AM   #17

Another round of Tariffs for Mexico .. Dow down 270 points today. I guess more Trade Wars coming
Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #18

I think this long term chart on Deutsche Bank indicates a clear buy point on the stock and shows how technical analysis can be so valuable
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wow, interesting chart on Deutsche Bank share price!

I do not follow any bank stock, but a fundamental analysis of this bank vs. another that does well like, say, Toronto-Dominion (TD), would be interesting to this ignoramus.

Sorry for the topic drift.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post

I think this long term chart on Deutsche Bank indicates a clear buy point on the stock and shows how technical analysis can be so valuable
You need to go back further in time. The signal to go short was on 8/18/2008 at about $98.00 after dropping down from the high of $162. Shorts would have covered years ago (2009) at $25.00. In the past 10 years, there has never been a "buy" signal, only several more opportunities to short!

So, when in your opinion, would "fundamental analysis" have led you to short the stock or buy a put?