Treasury Direct and T Bill question

tominboise

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a Treasury Direct account (with some Ibonds) and just last week bought my first T bill. TD sucked the money out of my bank account no problem. When the T Bill matures, will the $$ just show back up in my bank account?

I have a Treasury Direct account (with some Ibonds) and just last week bought my first T bill. TD sucked the money out of my bank account no problem. When the T Bill matures, will the $$ just show back up in my bank account?

I'm interested in knowing as well.

However, I buy my T-bills at my brokerage as it's easier for me, and at the same time I can compare & buy CD's , corporate bonds, or stocks. It's like 1 stop shopping.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/help-center/marketable-faqs/

How do I receive my interest and principal payments? In TreasuryDirect, the U.S. Treasury makes interest and principal payments directly to the financial account you choose. In the Commercial Book-Entry System, Treasury's interest and principal payments may flow through several institutions on their way to you. For example, a payment could go from the Federal Reserve to a large bank to a smaller bank to your broker, dealer, or financial institution before it gets to you.
Also, you are able to transfer marketable securities from your treasury direct account to your brokerage if you like and then manage it from there going forward.

Last edited:
Good luck on that, I'm trying to change banks and apparently that is beyond TreasuryDirect's capability.

Yep - exactly the reverse.

But I only buy T-bills at my brokerage because I find it more convenient to handle alongside my other investments there. Especially if for some reason I needed to sell on the secondary market.

I do hold IBonds via a Treasury Direct account and I have redeemed as well as purchased. It’s reasonably straightforward.

Last edited:
I'm interested in knowing as well.

However, I buy my T-bills at my brokerage as it's easier for me, and at the same time I can compare & buy CD's , corporate bonds, or stocks. It's like 1 stop shopping.
I bought one at Vanguard as well. Might as well try all the methods...

Exactly as you describe. The money is automatically redeposited in the bank account of record.

Once you get things set up, a very simple process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom