Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
How much 4 years can change opinions! Fund manager of the decade!

https://corporate.morningstar.com/US...&filter=PR4459
Picking last year's winning managers is somewhat like picking last night's winning lottery numbers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Makes me glad I have incredibly boring Vanguard index funds (with a few ishares ETFs index funds thrown in for spice). I'd hate to have to consider selling a highly appreciated position (which is almost everything I own now) and taking a tax hit if the managers change suddenly and I want out.
I thought PIMCO, like any managed fund would be spinning off the interest and capital gains each year as you go along so there should not be a major tax hit for this? How could this result in a major tax hit when you sell? I thought the deferral of taxes was a benefit of index funds and the tax hit hen you sell was their downside, not managed funds. I would think the 25- 30% excess return Gross was providing versus the benchmark index over the last 10-15 years would have paid all taxes due and resulted in a large post tax position.

For performance over the index it is competing against Morningstar said PIMCO total return fund averaged 1.4% better per year for the last 10 years (6.0% vs 4.6%) for last 5 years 5.1 vs 4.1 for the last 3 years 4.4 vs 2.4 for the last year it is down 3.5 vs 4.0. To state that one down year is proof managed money cannot work is incorrect.

And the fact that Janus has such a low starting base is going to be an asset for anyone getting in early with him, as he was able to earn outsized returns with an amazing level of funding that few money managers can handle. It is possible his age though is resulting in a cognitive decline that will effect future returns, but in interviews I have seen, he still seems real sharp.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Picking last year's winning managers is somewhat like picking last night's winning lottery numbers.

I made that mistake early in my investing days. Mostly by reading Money mag and taking their suggestions
Old 09-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

PIMCO employees were not allowed to talk to him during the day nor make eye contact.

They had to be in the office at 4:15 AM.

Appears he drove out Mohammed El Eryan.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I made that mistake early in my investing days. Mostly by reading Money mag and taking their suggestions
I've been a Money reader for over 20 years. To me, they advocate no-load, low-cost index funds more than anything.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
I thought PIMCO, like any managed fund would be spinning off the interest and capital gains each year as you go along so there should not be a major tax hit for this? How could this result in a major tax hit when you sell? I thought the deferral of taxes was a benefit of index funds and the tax hit hen you sell was their downside, not managed funds. I would think the 25- 30% excess return Gross was providing versus the benchmark index over the last 10-15 years would have paid all taxes due and resulted in a large post tax position.
Now that you mention it, you're probably right regarding most PIMCO funds (are all of them bond funds?). Bond funds don't tend to have a lot of capital appreciation over time like equity funds do. Most gains from bonds are interest payments. So maybe my fears of high cap gains coming due aren't as warranted for PIMCO given they manage mostly bond funds (on an AUM basis).

Otherwise, many actively managed equities funds do appreciate over time, only spitting out some of the gains in the form of CG distributions and dividends.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #27

I think he rode the bond bull for all it was worth. Now, not so easy.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

This, IMHO, really gets back to the issue of what to do when you have a stellar fund that implodes for reasons other than market sector. I have OAKIX which has been stellar until recently and wonder why I am standing put.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Sounds like Gross is going to a competitor to try to hurt his previous employer. You'd think he'd have a non-compete clause in his contract?

Still wanting to prove something at 70 ...
Definitely not FIRE material. He'll probably die at his desk...
Old 10-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I sold half of our PIMCO Total Return stake in DW's Fidelity 401K. She signed up for Brokeragelink and the money will be going to a plain total bond index ETF. The PIMCO fund's high expenses were arguably justified by Gross' superior record over the years, but not anymore, especially in this low yield environment. I am still pondering what to do with the second half. A TIPS fund maybe.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I am still pondering what to do with the second half. A TIPS fund maybe.
Only a few weeks until PenFed usually rolls out their annual "CD Special". Worth waiting to see what they do this year?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Only a few weeks until PenFed usually rolls out their annual "CD Special". Worth waiting to see what they do this year?
I think that I only have access to brokered CDs with Brokeragelink (inside a 401K). I do have some cash stashed up elsewhere to take advantage of any Penfed CD special however.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Gross calls for fiscal stimulus.

Grounded in sand, Bill Gross calls for fiscal stimulus - MarketWatch

Says monetary stimulus hasn't been enough. Didn't he criticize QE?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

More importantly, when will he finally STFU?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote