Join Early Retirement Today

Up is Down in Today's Wacky World of Investing
Old 02-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Up is Down in Today's Wacky World of Investing

I'm a fundamental investor, not a technical investor. I favor companies with good growth, momentum, good margins, good cash flow, with a disruptive and patented product. I have several stock screeners I rely on that have given me good results in the past.

I came across a company with these attributes:

Quarterly revenue growth (y-o-y) = 49.2%
Quarterly earning growth (y-o-y) = 47.6%
Gross margin = 85%
Operating margin =39%
Current ratio = 7.3
Total debt/equity ratio = 0.22
Operating cash flow = $65M
Free cash flow = $42M

and last week I purchased some shares. Company is INMD.

They announced their yearend numbers yesterday:

* Record quarterly revenues of $75.2 million, an increase of 60% compared to the fourth quarter of 2019.

* Record GAAP net income of $36.1 million, compared to $19.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2019

* Record GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.85, compared to $0.46 in the fourth quarter of 2019

* GAAP gross margin for the fourth quarter of 2020 was 86%, compared to a gross margin of 87% in the fourth quarter of 2019

* Earnings per share increased 104.35% over the past year to $0.94, which beat the estimate of $0.75.

In reaction to this outstanding financial news, the stock has gone down -6.3%.

Meanwhile stocks with garbage numbers but lots of hype are gaining. It's a topsy-turvy investing world.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Typical!
Old 02-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Looking at a 1Y chart, it's probably buy the rumor, sell the news. Standard short term stock market behavior.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Looking at a 1Y chart, it's probably buy the rumor, sell the news. Standard short term stock market behavior.
THIS.

In another thread I mentioned one of my investing mistakes being not wanting to buy something that had moved up a lot. INMD is such a beast (that I messed up on). I was looking at this stock in the high 30's, but foolishly passed because it had run up. Now, even with the negative earnings reaction, it is sitting at $67.27. I still have that problem on this one, do I buy in at 67? It is so hard to do, but ....
copyright1997reloaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #5

ROKU released earnings after the close yesterday. Looks like great news to me.

Streaming video platform Roku late Thursday smashed Wall Street's sales and earnings targets for the fourth quarter. The company earned 49 cents a share in the latest quarter, far better than the net loss of five cents analysts had penciled in. Sales of $649.9 million were up 58% year over year, while Wall Street had expected $619 million. In the year-earlier period, Roku lost 13 cents a share on sales of $411.2 million.

ROKU stock is down 1% today!
Old 02-19-2021, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
At the end of the market day ROKU was up 3.2%.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #7

Is there a good (or bad) reason they declined to provide guidance?

That might have something to do with it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #8

Look up Roku CEO Anthony Wood's recent stock sales. I'd provide a link but I feel everyone should do their own due diligence.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
ROKU released earnings after the close yesterday. Looks like great news to me.

Streaming video platform Roku late Thursday smashed Wall Street's sales and earnings targets for the fourth quarter. The company earned 49 cents a share in the latest quarter, far better than the net loss of five cents analysts had penciled in. Sales of $649.9 million were up 58% year over year, while Wall Street had expected $619 million. In the year-earlier period, Roku lost 13 cents a share on sales of $411.2 million.

Up 3+ % today and more importantly up almost 270% in the last one year period.

1% down on the earnings news is meaningless in the scope of things, and a LOT of expectations are built into a 270% run.

Wish I bought it (long ago). Now, for better or worse, my psychological issues with successful trading (i.e. quirks) prevent me from buying it up so much.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #10

Here's a strange one. Churchill Capital Corp, CCIV, is a SPAC company that was looking to merge with an EV company. The leading candidate was Lucid Motors, a USA based company. For most of 2020 Q4 CCIV languished in the $9 to $10 range. As rumors of a merger built up the stock price started moving. Rumors reached a crescendo last week and the stock was climbing rapidly, got into the $50's. Yesterday the announcement came that the merger was official.

CCIV stock dropped over 40%.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Here's a strange one. Churchill Capital Corp, CCIV, is a SPAC company that was looking to merge with an EV company. The leading candidate was Lucid Motors, a USA based company. For most of 2020 Q4 CCIV languished in the $9 to $10 range. As rumors of a merger built up the stock price started moving. Rumors reached a crescendo last week and the stock was climbing rapidly, got into the $50's. Yesterday the announcement came that the merger was official.

I read that, in response, Tesla cut he price of the Model S, so maybe that hurt CCIV’s price.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:

This one is easy to diagnose. There are (were?) gads of rapid CCIV fans on stocktwits, twitter, et al. Anyone suggesting that CCIV at 50, 60 was overpricing what Lucid would be worth was ridiculed and verbally accosted. The deal announcement was delayed and delayed, while CCIV kept rising.

At $60, Lucid was being priced at $72 BILLION, which would make it worth almost as much as General Motors...with no vehicles available and delays when they would be.

Then the deal news hits, and a look at the investor presentation: https://www.lucidmotors.com/files/lu...ruary-2021.pdf shows a $2.5 billion PIPE @ $15/share, which is a $1 billion increase over the original plan. That's right, CCIV/Lucid did an additional $1 billion PIPE at $15 while the suckers (retail buyers) were paying $60.

No wonder it was like a car driving over a cliff.

Note: I missed this one on the way up, but once this thing was crazy trading in the 40's (4x the original SPAC amount) there was no way I was going anywhere near it...even if it continued to rocket higher.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
This one is easy to diagnose. There are (were?) gads of rapid CCIV fans on stocktwits, twitter, et al. Anyone suggesting that CCIV at 50, 60 was overpricing what Lucid would be worth was ridiculed and verbally accosted. The deal announcement was delayed and delayed, while CCIV kept rising.

At $60, Lucid was being priced at $72 BILLION, which would make it worth almost as much as General Motors...with no vehicles available and delays when they would be.

Then the deal news hits, and a look at the investor presentation: https://www.lucidmotors.com/files/lu...ruary-2021.pdf shows a $2.5 billion PIPE @ $15/share, which is a $1 billion increase over the original plan. That's right, CCIV/Lucid did an additional $1 billion PIPE at $15 while the suckers (retail buyers) were paying $60.

No wonder it was like a car driving over a cliff.

Note: I missed this one on the way up, but once this thing was crazy trading in the 40's (4x the original SPAC amount) there was no way I was going anywhere near it...even if it continued to rocket higher.
+1

I saw it happen on Reddit. A guys DD was telling these people how undervalued it was. There was same dissent, but not enough. Sad to know some of these people lost money they couldn't afford to. It's one thing for the places know for longshots pimping these names nut the other subs pick up on it.

I recently suggested to a person they should understand how margin works before they used it. They didn't appreciate my comment.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

I saw it happen on Reddit. A guys DD was telling these people how undervalued it was. There was same dissent, but not enough. Sad to know some of these people lost money they couldn't afford to. It's one thing for the places know for longshots pimping these names nut the other subs pick up on it.

I recently suggested to a person they should understand how margin works before they used it. They didn't appreciate my comment.

It doesn’t make me sad, anymore than someone who bets too much in Vegas, teaching them to stay away from Vegas. Some people insist on learning the hard way to spur them to make the transition from gambler to investor.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Cruise-line stocks, like NCLH. One of the group reports a few extra pennies, and the loss is not as great as previous guidance. So the entire group goes up 10% in a single day.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #16

Chinese EV maker Li Auto, LI, reported fourth-quarter earnings of 2 cents per share compares to consensus for a loss of 2 cents per share.

Fourth-quarter net income came in at $16.5 million compared to a net loss of $16.6 million in the third quarter and a net loss of $3.28 billion in the year-ago period. On a non-GAAP basis, the company reported a net income of $17.7 million, up from $2.5 million in the preceding quarter.

Revenues jumped 65.2% quarter-over-quarter, or $635.5 million. It exceeded the consensus forecast of $586.51 million. The company had earlier guided fourth-quarter revenues to $457.8 million to $499.4 million.

The top-line growth was aided by a strong 64.6% sequential increase in vehicle sales to $621.9 million. Vehicle deliveries in the fourth-quarter jumped 67% quarter-over-quarter to 14,464 units.
--
LI Auto is down 8% this morning.