Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Those are the solutions others here have come up with.

So no other options if one uses excel. MRG are you suggesting their are other Excel options?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
So no other options if one uses excel. MRG are you suggesting their are other Excel options?
No I'm not.

I thought there was a quick kill for you there. Sorry.

I'm retired(IT) and I avoid stuff like this because I'd have to support it. I couldn't afford to pay myself my old salary so no way. 🤣
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone feel like the internet is going backwards the last few years?

Lots of good stuff going away, usually because someone is taking advantage of the situation. Here, I think it was commercial interests misusing the quotes.

And discussions blogs, articles, etc. got taken over by cranks. I used to love finding out a lot about movies on the IMDB boards, but they took them away supposedly because people didn't care. I doubt that was truth, it was more about the cranks with their horrible comments that probably opened the board operator to potential liability (you know, bogus comments about actors and such).
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Does anyone feel like the internet is going backwards the last few years?

Lots of good stuff going away, usually because someone is taking advantage of the situation. Here, I think it was commercial interests misusing the quotes.
Unless there's a way to monetize, free can't remain free, even if they try to make it up in volume. And free can't remain free when others, including some companies, take advantage of the free service to make a profit for their own benefit.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I too was frustrated when the yahoo financial data was withdrawn. I've been using the method described on this web page for the last couple of weeks:
https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTempla...ck-quotes.html
It's a clever workaround using google finance to get prices for your funds, publishing that list of prices to a google doc, then importing the fund prices into excel. I don't see any security issues because the custom price list only includes pricing and not my share holdings.

It works well for all my etf and mutual funds (however mutual fund closing prices only become available the next day and not in the early evening; a minor problem)
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Nothing is going backwards. Just have to put in time to understand the tech.
Anything displayed on a webpage can be imported to Excel. The problem you'll run into is that the page design will change, and your "programming" will need to adapt.
It does seem that going through extra steps is a waste of time. That's why I've let go of Excel for this portion of tracking.

Since google sheets does this, I rely on a tracker there if I want to see prices update, etc. What could be simpler than, "=GoogleFinance(GOOG, "price")" ?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #27

I've mentioned this before but I use MarketXLS for stock market data population into Excel. It has way more capabilities than I'm using and they seem to add additional functions every quarter or so. Not sure what the current cost would be as I bought into it a few years ago and the cost was nominal at that time.
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #28

Looks like IEX and Alpha Vantage have free data. This guy has a post about switching over from Yahoo Finance:

Replacing Yahoo Finance with the IEX API and Alpha Vantage in Google Sheets – Two Investing
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know if this will help anybody, but....

Since I only have five Vanguard mutual funds to update, and no individual stocks, I just use Vanguard's Watch List each day to find the share prices. Using a cookie, it saves the funds I need after I edit it once to remove the example funds and enter mine instead. So, all I have to do is click on the link (on my link bar) and bingo, the five numbers that I need are there.

Then I type the five numbers into my spreadsheet. For me, and probably for many of us, this takes no more time than it would take to just read them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I wrote an excel macro to do this. It worked as recently as last month. I'll try it tomorrow from a computer and try to post it here (or update that it didn't work).
turbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote