Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard doesn't permit levered or inverse ETF buy orders in IRAs
Old 02-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard doesn't permit levered or inverse ETF buy orders in IRAs

I tried to enter an order for an ETF like TQQQ or SQQQ in my Roth and the order was refused. They are going to tell me what I can invest in? Time for a real brokerage.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trying to protect account holders.

I am sure that they allow individual stocks, but some of these are actually more volatile and riskier than leveraged but broadbased ETFs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

True, they don't try to be everything to everyone.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That is amazing. Yet another reason to take your business elsewhere.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I know you can't short in an IRA - fed regs. Maybe that's been extended to funds that short? Or maybe VG is being conservative in their interpretation.

Has there ever been a ruling on this? I'm not sure I'd blame VG for this, it might just be prudent.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I know you can't short in an IRA - fed regs. Maybe that's been extended to funds that short? Or maybe VG is being conservative in their interpretation.

Has there ever been a ruling on this? I'm not sure I'd blame VG for this, it might just be prudent.

-ERD50
At first I thought it might be some regulatory reason. But I researched it and found other brokers permit it, Vanguard just decided it won't let certain investments be available to their customers.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
At first I thought it might be some regulatory reason. But I researched it and found other brokers permit it, Vanguard just decided it won't let certain investments be available to their customers.
I'm curious if my brokers allow it, I may test it next week during market hours.

But I guess that's your answer, if you want to do it, time to switch.

-ERD50
Old 02-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity makes you agree that you are an "aggressive" investor and other *&^%@ before they let you buy certain investments or trade after hours.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a link to Vanguard’s explanation on why they don’t allow these investments

http://https://investornews.vanguard/vanguard-to-stop-accepting-purchases-in-leveraged-and-inverse-investments/
obsessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today I traded the SPXU and UPRO all day long in my Fidelity Roth account. I suggest you go somewhere else.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
Here is a link to Vanguard’s explanation on why they don’t allow these investments

http://https://investornews.vanguard/vanguard-to-stop-accepting-purchases-in-leveraged-and-inverse-investments/
I do not use my Vanguard accounts for active trading, so did not know about this restriction.

Yes, just as I thought, Vanguard seeks to protect account holders from "hurting" themselves.

With other brokers, they did not care. Outright shorting stocks in an IRA account is against the IRS rule, I believe, because it means borrowing somebody else's shares to sell. Buying a bear ETF is not a problem. Same with leveraged ETFs.

Some time last year, Schwab made account holders acknowledge that these ETFs carry higher risks. "Don't blame us if you hurt yourself" is what they try to say.

PS. Should Vanguard disallow account holders from trading GE, or Tesla, or energy stocks? These are quite volatile too. Who's going to determine the criteria?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I tried to enter an order for an ETF like TQQQ or SQQQ in my Roth and the order was refused. They are going to tell me what I can invest in? Time for a real brokerage.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me as well. Not that I own any levered funds, but I'll be damned if I let a broker tell me I can't buy etf XYZ or whatever.

My brokers job is to do what I tell them to do with my money and keep their opinions to themselves.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
... My brokers job is to do what I tell them to do with my money and keep their opinions to themselves.
Nothing wrong with this, but you are apparently a customer that VG doesn't want to keep: "This change is part of an ongoing effort to align the products and services we offer with our investors’ focus on the long term. These investments, which are generally incompatible with a buy-and-hold strategy, run counter to this long-term focus."

From time to time it becomes necessary for a company to fire a customer. Good managers understand this.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have no problem at all with Vanguard prohibiting or restricting trading for certain stocks and ETFs to protect their customers from themselves (be it customers who are misinformed or customers that fat-finger a ticker symbol).

The needs of the many ourweigh the needs of the few.

And for those who this upsets enough for them to leave Vanguard... don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #15

Its become apparent that I have a two person fan club on this forum.

Does anyone know if there is a way to put people on ignore, so I don't have to see their comments anymore?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... Does anyone know if there is a way to put people on ignore, so I don't have to see their comments anymore?
Yes, there is a way to put people on ignore.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:49 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I find Vanguard inferior to Fidelity in many respects. The only reason I stay there is to not have all my eggs in one basket.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its become apparent that I have a two person fan club on this forum.

Does anyone know if there is a way to put people on ignore, so I don't have to see their comments anymore?
Many of us know.

Many of us don't use it, we want to hear dissenting opinion, that's how we learn.

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2020, 08:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Fidelity makes you agree that you are an "aggressive" investor and other *&^%@ before they let you buy certain investments or trade after hours.

Yes, I had to do that just last week with Fidelity but it was easy to do.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #20

For those that didn't know (like me), if you login you can click on a users name and there is a drop down to add someone to your ignore list.