Vanguard website down?

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am trying to get on my Vanguard account this morning and I am unable. At first it said my account info was unavailable and now I cannot get the website to open at all. I just wanted to be sure it was not a problem just with my account. Any one else having a problem this morning?
Thanks

Just signed in, no problem.

Update/correction
My sign in was ~10minutes before your post

Last edited:
I am trying to get on my Vanguard account this morning and I am unable. At first it said my account info was unavailable and now I cannot get the website to open at all. I just wanted to be sure it was not a problem just with my account. Any one else having a problem this morning?
Thanks
I just checked, could log in, but then it froze.

Took forever to get the investor login menu to pop up, and then it complained about a bad bookmark and refused to let me in. Tried to log in again, and the menu for username and password refused to show up.

Monday Aug 31 at 8am. Received server error when I first connected. Reloaded page and was able to log in successfully. Everything seemed to work, but it was running slower than usual.

This is why I like having funds at different locations. If the outage is extended I want options if quick cash is needed. In a widespread outage we could all be F'ed.

I just logged in for [mod edit] and giggles and I was able to log in normally

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have issues with a website, often this website will let you know if others are having issues, too. I noticed last week that a lot of sites that use Cloudflare (which is A LOT) were having issues. At one point almost 75% of my normal sites wouldn't load and it was because of Cloudflare. I think it's somewhat scary that so many web pages (and services) rely on Cloudflare and/or AWS.

Attachments

• VG.jpg
    VG.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
I am the original poster and I was just able to log onto my Vanguard account with no problem. I follow Vanguard on Twitter and a few hours ago they had tweeted they where having website problems and were working on it. But now it seems fixed.

I agree about not keeping all your eggs in one basket--I have assets at other financial institutions in addition to Vanguard.

One thing I was just able to do on the Vanguard this morning was convert my Prime Money Market account to Admiral shares. This just took a couple of clicks. Vanguard is changing the name of this Fund and now allows admiral shares.

If the website was down I wonder if it was possible to reach them by phone. I’m sure the lines would be pretty busy but that’s better than nothing. There is a lot of transactions for workplace savings at Fido that require a call. It’s a dedicated number.

I still need to establish an emergency fund account at a local B&M.

Last edited:
If the website was down I wonder if it was possible to reach them by phone. I’m sure the lines would be pretty busy but that’s better than nothing. There is a lot of transactions for workplace savings at Fido that require a call. It’s a dedicated number.

I still need to establish an emergency fund account at a local B&M.
You could, they were busy . I read some hateful comments(FB) about all the money people lost who were looking to buy Tesla at the open and couldn't.[emoji4]

A problem all the fund providers have is if the website is down they can't adequately staff phone reps. Pre-internet they had more staff, some might not have phone training, but there were more warm bodies. Vanguard does have an advantage of using the Swiss Army.

What’s the Swiss Army?
Everyone takes calls or does whatever is needed. It's an unique approach that's different from all the others. Many places are revolving doors where the associates frequently go elsewhere. I remember my sister calling some years ago and getting McNabb doing his phone shift.

Everyone takes calls or does whatever is needed. It's an unique approach that's different from all the others. Many places are revolving doors where the associates frequently go elsewhere. I remember my sister calling some years ago and getting McNabb doing his phone shift.

Ah, thanks. All hands on deck in nautical speak.

I had read that Vanguard was outsourcing part of their client services to a third party from another country but assured that their services would still continue.

I had read that Vanguard was outsourcing part of their client services to a third party from another country but assured that their services would still continue.
That was discussed in another thread, which was shut down.

The Vanguard problem in the OP was not due to outsourcing of client services. One source of explanation is here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/v...y-apple-td-ameritrade-robinhood-20200831.html

I am not sure there is a consensus in this thread as to exactly what caused the outage. Other companies also had problems at the time, as I recall. But I'm willing to wager that outsourcing was not a major part of this.

Back
Top Bottom