Join Early Retirement Today

VMWare
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

VMWare

remember dell, microsoft, AOL and Cisco in the 1990's? I think VMWare is the stock of the next decade.

other than great financials it seems we are in a long term trend where the power of hardware will outpace the ability of software to use it. in the next year serves will become so powerful it will be a total waste of resources not to run VMWare

Cisco announced that they are going into the blade server market and VMWare is one of the partners. I think Cisco is screwed, but the real winner will be VMWare

their software is very simple. back in the 1970's we had mainframes and they ran virtual machines. you would rent time at a terminal that was nothing more than a keyboard and monitor. Bill Gates and Andy Grove had an idea and the PC was born, called a fat client sometimes. For the last few decades mainframes lost market share as PC's became more powerful along with Intel based servers. instead of paying IBM all your money it was cheaper to deploy thousands of servers each running a different task. now servers are too powerful and there is no end in sight. a few years ago 8GB of RAM in a server was a lot. today 32GB of RAM is dirt cheap and in a few months there will be low end servers sold that can take up to 192GB of RAM. Next year it will be even more than that.

so what people do is they run VMWare on servers and install "virtual" machines on top of it. you can take a physical server, install vmware and then install any combination of windows, unix and linux virtual instances on it to use up all the hardware resources instead of buying a separate machine for each one. Almost like the old mainframes of the 1970's. i even run it on my laptop, i run windows 7 and need XP for one program that doesn't work even in compatibility mode

competition is microsoft, citri, sun and a few other free software packages but vmware is the best and most compatible with a variety of different OS's.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I mostly agree, although I've been using Amazon's cloud services for my new startup and I believe they roll their own Virtual Machine solution. I believe google app engine also rolls their own.

Will be interesting to see if some sort of open source alternative (i.e. OpenBox) creeps into the marketplace here as well.

There are also some up and comers, like parallels on the mac side (also developing server version).
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

VMW Stock Charts - Vmware Inc Stock Market Charts - Free Stock Charts

Take a look at the 5 year chart it is ugly. There is something going on with that company.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #4

they went IPO in mid 2007, what do you expect. and if you look at the chart of say Dell around 1990 or 1991 or apple in 2002 it's not very pretty either

they don't compete with Amazon since they are in the corporate market. Amazon is for small businesses and independents who want a website to make money but don't want to buy the infrastructure.

VMWare competes with MS and Citrix. The big news that got me intersted is that Cisco is going to start virtualizing their IOS.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I read a few stories about VMware. Last year the CEO (a co-founder) was sacked ad replaced with Paul Maritz (ex Microsoft executive). The chief scientist (also a co-founder) recently left the company.

The company is 10 years old, and for much of that time had little competition. one thing I read is that MS, IBM, HP and Sun etc. are hot on VM and the cloud. Usually that is a slow kiss of death for a smaller player like VMware.

Cisco, a partial owner of VM, recently announced a joint product. That could help, I suppose.

Oh, they had a 25% drop in stock price when the previous CEO announced they wouldn't meet projections.

Cisco sells a vital product that is everywhere. The name brand is in many network closets, and not going away,
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

very common for the original founders to leave because they can't grow with the company and market changes. Sun just fired MySQL's founder in the last few months after buying the company. the guy had some wacky ideas that didn't fit in with reality. If Sun didn't fire him, IBM would have after they finish buying Sun

i heard about VMWare years ago when no one used the software and the only use was to run linux without dual booting

Hyper-V from MS is pretty good but not as good as VMWare. it's main problem is compatibility with different ^nix version. and it can get very expensive since you need windows 2008 CAL's.

IBM/Sun is mostly for outsourced applications. a lot of potential but it's a big market. HP will use whatever they can resell.

Citrix has been doing similar things, but is way behind. they use Xen and i've read of problems with it
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There are other opinions out there. Here's one.

I realize that is six months ago, but tell me what the good vmware news has been since then.

Regards.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #8

need to look at the raw numbers

MS says they have 30% of the business intelligence market because sql 2005 and 2008 ship with it in the box, but where i work we still use Cogons. MS will ship a lot of features but a lot of people will still use another product. same with hyper-v, it's cheaper to use vmware in most cases