VTI vs VTSAX

shawnhersh

Dryer sheet aficionado
Any opinions? I am going to be putting a fairly large chunk in ($70k+) and wanted to know which was favored more.

From what I’ve been reading, it appears VTI is more active and a bit cheaper, but they both seem very similar.

We have both right now but have been buying VTI as I like to know what I'm paying at the moment I hit the "BUY" button, not wait till the fund, VTSAX sale takes place.

If buying at Vanguard, there are a few difference, although minor.

If you buy VTSAX, you can transfer from your checking account. If you buy VTI you need to initiate the transfer from checking to Settlement and then initiate the buy.

VTI is whole share, so you will have a remainder of an amount less than 1 share at all times un-invested.

As a buy/hold investor I use VTSAX, but VTI is also good. Both are the same tax efficient products just a different container.

If buying at Vanguard, there are a few difference, although minor.

If you buy VTSAX, you can transfer from your checking account. If you buy VTI you need to initiate the transfer from checking to Settlement and then initiate the buy.

VTI is whole share, so you will have a remainder of an amount less than 1 share at all times un-invested.

As a buy/hold investor I use VTSAX, but VTI is also good. Both are the same tax efficient products just a different container.
Excellent info! VTSAX seems simpler, and the expenses are essentially identical. I will also be holding long term.

I prefer mutual fund (VTSAX) because I prefer to buy and sell in terms of whole dollars. Buy $5000 of this. Sell $7500 of that. I don’t have to calculate how many shares of anything needs to be bought or sold. To each his own though.

We have both.

We have transitioned to VTI and ETF's vs our VTSAX and other VG Mutual Funds for the reasons already discussed above

I would go with VTI.

In fact just today, we sold a some megaoil stock we had from retirement and and bought more VTI.

Back
Top Bottom