VWENX v. VTSAX?

I agree with 1 thru 3. I looking for value in areas that most investors don't. I specialize in conversions, spinoffs, event driven events and arbitrage. I do not wish to compete with index managers, funds or the masses. I was hoping to find some others to talk about the inefficiencies of the markets and some good fishing holes which is why I entered the "stock room" Best,

You might want to start a thread highlighting the topics you are interested in (arbitrage, etc.). Though, as Ready pointed out, many folks here are happy to index, so you may not get many responses or folks who say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

I love indexers they create the inefficiencies in the market I look for. Just don't have the time to chat about a vanguard fund with anyone. Surprised in a early retirement site there are no sophisticated investors looking to swap ideas. Think I will stick to the lifestyle side of the site but I appreciate your input. Best.

I love timing the market. It helped me to stop working full-time at age 50. I'm not sure why anybody would have to wait until age 51. They must not have been using index funds. :greetings10:

...I was hoping to find some others to talk about the inefficiencies of the markets and some good fishing holes which is why I entered the "stock room"
Best,

This last sentence of yours hit home with me. Wanna' talk about market inefficiencies? Listen, I shop at Ralphs and often they don't put out the low-fat cottage cheese until about 11:00AM. So, if it's before 11AM, I enter the stock room and ask a clerk for the low-fat cottage cheese. And, get this! he will bring out one container. You might think the manager would suggest to the clerk that he bring out several containers so he doesn't have to continually walk back and forth to get a container of low fat cottage cheese for each customer who wants one. Well, yeah, I obviously know something about inefficiencies of the markets!

note: all highlights by redduck

There is a misunderstanding here. VTSAX and VTI are just different share classes of the same fund. If one of them has a capital gain distribution, then the other one will as well for the exact same percentage amount. They are the same fund.

VTI is an etf, vs VTSAX which is a fund so I was thinking that like most etf's there are fewer surprises compared to the funds due to capital gain distribution.

When I look at the Vanguard site, they do seem to be duplicates of each other, which makes me wonder where would the difference show up ?
So it appears they etf and the fund are both managed exactly the same, so why even have the etf ? or better still, skip the Index investor class and just have the etf and admiral share.
Is this just a marketing anomaly and no real purpose for the 3 different versions ?

Is it just this market that makes the etf and admiral shares seem be behave identically ?

VTI can be purchased from any brokerage firm. So if all of your money is in Fidelity but you want to own a Vanguard fund, you can buy VTI without having to set up an account with Vanguard.

VTI also trades throughout the day, so you get the spot price when you place the order. And you can do limit orders, market orders, etc. With VTSAX you just get the end of day price on the day you placed the trade.

Other than that, they are intended to be identical funds.

As it happens I just moved all my Vanguard funds out of VTSAX (and a few other things), and am now mostly in VWENX and VWNDX. I still prefer indexing. But, with the current political climate thought active funds might have an advantage for a while. This move also raised my bonds allocation, which I was looking to do for similar reasons.

YMMV.

VTI can be purchased from any brokerage firm. So if all of your money is in Fidelity but you want to own a Vanguard fund, you can buy VTI without having to set up an account with Vanguard.

VTI also trades throughout the day, so you get the spot price when you place the order. And you can do limit orders, market orders, etc. With VTSAX you just get the end of day price on the day you placed the trade.

Other than that, they are intended to be identical funds.

Actually, there are some differences in the way LTGC's are calculated and distributed between MF's and ETF's.

As ETFs continue to grow in popularity, they should continue to capture market share. Despite the similarity in the taxation of mutual funds and ETFs, the structural difference and potential absence of long-term capital gains in ETFs makes them a compelling investment vehicle. Coupled with intra-day pricing, daily liquidity and transparency, as advisors learn more about them, ETFs may one day overtake mutual funds.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2015/03...etfs-vs-mutual-fun?page=2&slreturn=1490548004

I would be 100% in ETF's (vs MF's) today except I've got some significant positions in MF's in taxable accounts which have large LTGC's I don't want to pay taxes on.

Also, regarding your comment regarding purchasing VG MF's, they can be purchased at most brokerage houses. The rub is you can't get Admiral ER's unless you buy them from inside an actual VG account. I own some VTSMX in my Schwab account for example.

Last edited:
Actually, there are some differences in the way LTGC's are calculated and distributed between MF's and ETF's.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2015/03...etfs-vs-mutual-fun?page=2&slreturn=1490548004

I would be 100% in ETF's (vs MF's) today except I've got some significant positions in MF's in taxable accounts which have large LTGC's I don't want to pay taxes on.
That does not apply to Vanguard ETFs which also have a mutual fund share class.

At least at Vanguard, one can convert most (not all) mutual fund shares to the ETF share in a tax-free transaction.

Back
Top Bottom