Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The re-emergence of Fiat in America. Those are one of the few cars that could accomplish the impossible: Make the small Chryslers look reliable (at least in comparison).
Add in Renault and you'd have a trifecta . . .
Fiat has improved alot...last year the Fiat 500 was European car of the year. It will probably be sold in the US in 2010. I know there's many people in the US that would never consider a car that small, but there's enough of a market here to make it a big success, assuming the price is reasonable. I still don't get the huge appeal for overpriced underpowered hybrid cars here in the US when car companies sell gasoline powered vehicles in Europe and Asia that get better gas mileage at a much lower purchase price. At least some of those cars are finally starting to show up here in the US.

Fiat 500 voted car of the year 2008 - AutoblogGreen
DallasGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Fiat has improved alot...last year the Fiat 500 was European car of the year. It will probably be sold in the US in 2010.
The blue car is the Fiat 500. This is the result of a 35 MPH frontal collision between the Fiat and an Audi Q7. The Fiat's airbag burst shortly after deploying, driver would have suffered severe injuries. The Fiat has a 5 star crash rating in Europe, but (like the government ratings in the US) the rating applies only when the car hits a vehicle of approximately the same size. So, if the Fiat happens to hit another Matchbox car, it should do pretty well.

I'm sure some people might buy one, but I think I'll pass.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I still don't get the huge appeal for overpriced underpowered hybrid cars here in the US when car companies sell gasoline powered vehicles in Europe and Asia that get better gas mileage at a much lower purchase price. At least some of those cars are finally starting to show up here in the US.

Fiat 500 voted car of the year 2008 - AutoblogGreen
A Prius shows that you have your ecological spurs. You are hip and coold and you love the earth. You probably even have HOPE.

All a little gasoline car shows is that you don't have much money.

Ha
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It also shows that you want a decent amount of cargo space and appreciate tech toys (I love the no key start button)
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
It also shows that you want a decent amount of cargo space and appreciate tech toys (I love the no key start button)
Push-button starting is one of the things I despise about some of the new cars. My computer has a start/stop button too and when I "ask" it to "please shut down" sometimes it does, but sometimes it wont until I remove the battery. How long before Microsoft releases a full-boat automobile operating system (i.e. beyond the Sync program Ford uses for infotainment)?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #46

Any takers yet? I'm seriously considering getting into the "Ford" pot. I have a feeling they are going to come out of this smelling good!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

One thing that remains to be seen is whether Ford can capitalize on GM's problem. Ford has problems, too, but they aren't teetering quite like GM -- yet. If GM's problems can translate to increased share for Ford as people worry about thinks like warranties and future service and parts, then Ford would look like a decent play down here. But ultimately it has many of the same legacy cost issues as GM.

One of the big differences is that Ford managed to secure a lot of credit shortly before things started unraveling and the automakers' debt became junk. Ford has a better chance of making it than GM, but like GM I'd still prefer to play the bonds than the common stock.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One thing that remains to be seen is whether Ford can capitalize on GM's problem. Ford has problems, too, but they aren't teetering quite like GM -- yet. If GM's problems can translate to increased share for Ford as people worry about thinks like warranties and future service and parts, then Ford would look like a decent play down here. But ultimately it has many of the same legacy cost issues as GM.

One of the big differences is that Ford managed to secure a lot of credit shortly before things started unraveling and the automakers' debt became junk. Ford has a better chance of making it than GM, but like GM I'd still prefer to play the bonds than the common stock.
I just have that feeling (I know....I know....."that feeling" really means nothing when it's your money on the line ) BUT.....with GM in even more trouble now I have to believe that Ford will weather this storm. And at $1.86 a share, throwing some play money at it can't hurt......THAT MUCH!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote