What are your thoughts

Yawn. Stocks go up and stocks go down.They have been up for a long time, so it is not unlikely that they will fall for a while.

Unless this time, it is different.

No concern. If you read / listen to many of these type of financial commentary, you'll hear just about everything. Some now say expect a big correction in 2017, some say expect continued bull market. It's all guess work. If it wasn't, these guys would all be filthy rich! And we would read their methodology and follow right along with them!

I don't believe anyone's predictions for the stock market. People love to do analyses. Some people get paid by writing articles about nearly anything. But if anyone really KNEW what the stock market would do, they'd keep quiet about it and become a billionaire quickly. Nobody knows what is going to happen to the market. This guy is just having fun playing with the January numbers and getting paid to write an article.

As for your question, I have zero concern. As always, I am preparing for the next market crash. Since I know that markets go up and down, and since this one has not gone down in a long time, I would expect that to happen at some point. However I know that it could be in five or ten years, or it could be tomorrow, or it might never happen.

But anyway, I refuse to be blindsided if/when it happens so I am not just sitting here grinning obliviously. I know that if/when market crashes happen, it's great to have low bare bones expenses so that one can buy low instead of selling low. Doesn't mean that I'm concerned, but I'm a realist.

I don't believe anyone's predictions for the stock market. People love to do analyses. Some people get paid by writing articles about nearly anything. But if anyone really KNEW what the stock market would do, they'd keep quiet about it and become a billionaire quickly. Nobody knows what is going to happen to the market. This guy is just having fun playing with the January numbers and getting paid to write an article.

As for your question, I have zero concern. As always, I am preparing for the next market crash. Since I know that markets go up and down, and since this one has not gone down in a long time, I would expect that to happen at some point. However I know that it could be in five or ten years, or it could be tomorrow, or it might never happen.

But anyway, I refuse to be blindsided if/when it happens so I am not just sitting here grinning obliviously. I know that if/when market crashes happen, it's great to have low bare bones expenses so that one can buy low instead of selling low. Doesn't mean that I'm concerned, but I'm a realist.

+1 I couldn't have said it better.

I guess this is on the topic....was just in my truck and toggled through to whatever the business talking head channel was on XM for a few minutes. Dude was lamenting that so few Americans are in the market and maybe the headlines of Dow 20k will attract more retail investors. OMG. That's just the right time for a bunch of newbies to stick their toes into the market when it hits an eye catching number.

Yes, more people should invest if they can but for God's sake, don't just jump in because it hits some meaningless number. These are the people they put on TV.:facepalm:

Thanks. I don't have an concerns either and like you said nobody knows what will happen that is so true. For me what happens, happens and I will be ale to ride out the storm.

But if anyone really KNEW what the stock market would do, they'd keep quiet about it and become a billionaire quickly.

Agree 110%.
I have a friend who, unfortunately, has spent God only knows how much money over the last 20 years, on get rich quick schemes.
They all involve options, futures, & technical analysis.

I've always told him exactly what you said. If someone really knew what the stock market (or an individual stock) was going to do, they be quiet about it & become rich.

Just as reinforcement, one the best performing funds in the world is the Medallion fund. Their worst year in the past 30 years or so is >25%.

They've been getting some attention now since its founder Jim Simons has over 15 billion now and he gave a Ted talk a while back, but by most standards it's still far below the radar.

To add to that: only employees and close family are allowed to invest, and it has itself capped.

Lighting seldom strikes twice.

The article is drawn from a purely technical analysis of the market - graphs and statistics. It ignores everything else that could influence the market. In my view, a poor basis for any predictions.

Last edited:
I own about 30 individual stocks in my brokerage account and if I look 5 to 10 yr chart, none of them lost money. I also saw my 401k( 100% mutual funds) went from 550K in around 2007 then went down to 420k in 2010 and now up to around 815K. I don't need to touch any of this $$$ until 20 years from now and just keep buying them on the dip, max out the 401k and not worry about every day swing.

Tom

I read once the market will drop by 10% up to a few times per year. But the last few years have been pretty tame.

Years ago I had about $20K in cash, and I thought the market was too high, it had run up a lot, and it was due to fall back. So I waited and waited, after a year, the market was easily another 1,000 pts higher.
So I stuck my money in as I realized I couldn't predict squat!
The market continued going up for the next 5 years to now ... :D

Back
Top Bottom