Join Early Retirement Today

What is your favorite growth stock?
Old 09-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is your favorite growth stock?

Do you have a favorite growth stock? Or any favorite stock?
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I personally like the one that goes up a lot.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I personally like the one that goes up a lot.
And pays a good dividend.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
And was only $1.00 to start
Old 09-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Will Rogers: " Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

More seriously @Blue531, I think you will find that most of us here believe in diversified portfolios. Adequate diversification is essentially impossible if an investor is buying individual stocks. The only feasible approach is to buy broadly diversified mutual funds.

Another guru, William Bernstein offers: “Do you think that by choosing a portfolio of only a few stocks that you hope will score big, you are maximizing your chances of becoming wealthy? Indeed you are, but you are also maximizing the chances of a retirement of cat food cuisine”

That said, there are a number of people here who do have a "play around" fund of maybe 5% of their portfolio. Maybe one of them will stop by with an idea for you.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One name....Will Rogers.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Most of our assets are in index funds. I used to be a stock picker before retirement 7 years ago. I sold off my tobacco first, still have AEP till next year; other leftovers are APPL, GOOGL, and TSLA I think I'll keep them.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Too many favorite individual stocks in my diversified portfolio to list.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #9

This year I'm in love with my MSFT holdings. It went nowhere for a very long time but is now a worthy holding. Up about 800% from our cost.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I only have one individual stock, so I guess it is WMT that I bought in the $40s.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Too many favorite individual stocks in my diversified portfolio to list.
Just out of curiosity, how many stocks do you hold that you consider the portfolio to be diversified?

I have seen arguments for 100 on the principle that no single stock should be more than 1% impact. That assumes that the 100 are diversified across business segment, company size, geographic location, etc. If there is a tilt, presumably all stocks in the tilt will be more correlated than if they were diverse.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Apple for me.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many stocks do you hold that you consider the portfolio to be diversified?

I have seen arguments for 100 on the principle that no single stock should be more than 1% impact. That assumes that the 100 are diversified across business segment, company size, geographic location, etc. If there is a tilt, presumably all stocks in the tilt will be more correlated than if they were diverse.
I'm obviously not Montecfo, but when it comes to individual stocks for me:
1) I have too many
2) I justify #1 by being concentrated - the top 5 holdings make up 58% of my individual holdings.
3) Some I have to watch (small initial investment). Some are small because I've sold off over time. Some I have because of spin-off's (I sometimes have a bad habit of not selling them/not investing more in them).

With individual holdings, they need care and feeding. Thus #2 allows me to spend most of my care and feeding time (research, review of business, ...) to be limited to a smaller number of securities.

However, my individual holdings represent about 1/3 of my total net worth - the rest is in low cost mutual funds and cash/TIPS/S-Bonds/Other.

One final observation: Looking at my individual holdings, they are worth about 4x my cost, and mostly long term.

Top 5 Holdings:
AAPL, EW, ADI, MSFT, HON

Possible good growth stock: Edwards Life Sciences (EW). Good area (Transcatheter heart valves), has been a well run company (I've owned it since being spin-off by Baxter long ago and have added to my position over the years)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I like Zoetis, Generac, SUI, JnJ, Msft, APD, CLF, NUE, and more. At the right prices.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVplusDog View Post
... At the right prices.
+1

Here is investing legend Ben Graham on that subject: (in "The Intelligent Investor"):
" ... we hope to implant in the reader a tendency to measure or quantify. For 99 issues out of 100 we could say that at some price they are cheap enough to buy and at some other price they would be so dear that they should be sold. The habit of relating what is paid to what is being offered is an invaluable trait in investment. In an article in a women’s magazine many years ago we advised the readers to buy their stocks as they bought their groceries, not as they bought their perfume. The really dreadful losses of the past few years (and on many similar occasions before) were realized in those common-stock issues where the buyer forgot to ask “How much?
Old 10-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I generally subscribe to the few big fund strategy, but also hold ~40 individual stocks. The individual stocks satisfy my trading desires and market engagement although most of my holdings are aged in years not months or days. I track the individual share portfolio against the S&P 500 just to see how I’m doing. Have certainly had + and - years, but after 8 years tracking within cumulative 2% ignoring dividends and net of my ongoing partial cash position.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post

I have about 80 positions. But while I avoid excessive concentration in any individual stock or industry, I do not seek to be diversified across all industries, geographies and company sizes at all times. I'm not trying to mimic an index, In fact quite the opposite. I have positions greater and less than 1 percent, nothing as high as 5 percent.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #18

Quote:
I have about 80 positions. But while I avoid excessive concentration in any individual stock or industry, I do not seek to be diversified across all industries, geographies and company sizes at all times. I'm not trying to mimic an index, In fact quite the opposite. I have positions greater and less than 1 percent, nothing as high as 5 percent.
This. For many years I had a column in my massive daily tracking spreadsheet, of how I compared to the Vanguard Moderate Growth Life Strategy (I think the symbol is VSMGX). My motto was that if I couldn't beat its performance w/a similar beta, I shouldn't be doing it myself. (That is, why try to actively manage if I can't beat a balanced 60/40 passive fund.)

Now, to be honest, I'm not as disciplined as I used to be. I do have a real-time updating google sheet(s) with my portfolio, but I've gotten haphazard in terms of accurately tracking and comparing (in the old days prior to retiring from mega-corp I would be checking/updating/comparing daily).

My decision making is also influenced in part of because I have LARGE accumulated capital gains in taxable accounts on individual positions...close to/around 7 figures. This means for better or worse I have to be careful with realizing gains. "If wishes were fishes", these would (after a long life) become assets passed on to my child with a step up in basis. OTOH, I have to start trimming some positions (like Apple) just because my single stock risk has gotten larger.

In terms of beta, my typical daily swing (both positive and negative) is less than the market, but this is because I am holding rather high levels of cash/TIPS and some somewhat non-correlated assets such as precious metals.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #19

I love the whole ROKU story.

From the name, to the gutsiness of taking on giants across several different industries.

And, the CEO just looks sooooo un-CEO!

Oh, yeah, and $40 to $200 doesn’t hurt, either.

Seriously, though ... ROKU is an interesting company - even those that follow it, don’t seem at times to understand how the businesses interact.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, you have consciously diversified away most individual issue risk while, apparently, keeping sector risk. Nothing wrong with that. You're in it with your eyes open.

"80 positions" !??! Ack. Not my cup of tea to track that many stocks or to select them from the larger list. But, hey, if its an enjoyable hobby then again there's nothing wrong with it.