What kind of stock/bond mix you looking at in retirement?

motley

Dryer sheet aficionado
I've always been very aggressive and will rebalance when I retire, but not before, and even then not dramatically. I'm around 80/20 now if not more.

In 7 years of retirement, we have ranged from 42/58 to 55/45 and will probably stay in the 40 to 60% equity range in the near future.

Retired 7 + years. Been ~ 97% + stock the entire time.

I'll have been retired 15 years on November 9th. I've been happy with about 45% equities (in broad mutual funds from Vanguard). My risk tolerance and needs are both low.

A few years ago I decided that we had won the game and had a well funded retirement and capital preservation was more important than growth so we're mostly fixed income. Only equities are some inherited VTSAX that has significant unrealized gains and a small HFEA portfolio for my grandson... less than 5% in total. Most adventurous investments there days are BDC and CEF preferred stocks.

50% equities, 37% assorted bond funds , 13% cash

plus an experimental leveraged risk parity portfolio i am trying called the carolina reaper

i am pretty impressed with it and eventually may make it a core holding with some of my growth and income portfolio money.

i find it easy to use 3 buckets

an income bucket with cash , 25% conservative equity funds. and assorted bond funds for shorter term money

a growth and income portfolio for intermediate term money 60/40 with more aggressive equity funds

and a 100% equities long term money bucket split equally between vti and berkshire

Last edited:
Was 80/20 before RE, now 55/45.

I've been 50% equities and 50% fixed income since retirement and re-balancing within 5% bands other than during the pandemic when I hit 60% stocks. I have enough, but growth is still necessary to keep up with inflation.

Was almost 100% equities before RE, then started at 60/40 right after. Gradually shifted to 50/50 over about 15 years retired and have been there since.

Last edited:
I always wonder about threads like this as there is no blanket recommendation. Depends on your level of secure income, risk tolerance, degree of Bernstein’s ‘having won the game,’ projected longevity, goals for residual (die broke vs leave an inheritance), etc. In fact, the answers on this thread aren't meaningful without some of that background...e.g. being 100% equity is one thing for a SIRE, another for someone with no secure income.

I was 100% individual stocks until mid 30’s. 100% equity funds until mid 40’s. Then I systematically added fixed income (mostly 401k’s/TIRAs) to our AA late 40’s thru 50’s until about 70:30. Having won the game, we’re slightly over 50% equity index funds now with the balance in fixed income and cash (sig line).

Last edited:
Retired end of 2021. 100% equities (indexes) until a few months before retirement. Have been doing 70/30 since retirement. Want to get to 60% soonish, but being hold by some remaining megacorp stock options (really a mental block I have). Think 50% to 60% is my sweet spot.

80/20 been ER for just about 8 years @ 57. Wow, did I say 8 years! Time does flies when you are living life on your own terms.

Last edited:
Retired for 17 years(I'm almost 70)and I'm very conservative at this point. Like others I was 80% equities or more in my 30's. But now around 15% stocks with the rest in FI and other stuff. I wish I could sleep well with a heavier tilt towards equities but I'm not.

I don't use percentages for the bond/fixed income portion of our funds. Instead I try to keep about 4-5 years of living expense in bonds/cash and 100% of the rest in equities.

85% equity, 10% bonds, 5% MM. I don't see myself going below 80% equity. My 15% non equity bothers me when the S&P goes up.

46% Stocks
25% Bonds
29% Real Estate

Real estate pays for our expenses and bonds (including MM) pays for our annual trips.

Last edited:
I'm 71, retired almost 10 years and am at 65 stocks/35 fixed. I'm comfortable with that even though it's aggressive- hadn't had to sell anything at rock-bottom prices to rase cash during downturns.

100% stock funds until I turned 50; slowly moved to 60/40 by time I retired at 60. Since then, I have aimed for 55/35/10 keeping two years in expenses in cash so that I never have to sell stock funds (or bond funds) in a down market. Currently at 59/33/8 with almost enough cash in IRA to cover all 24 and 25 withdrawals. S&P at 5200 is next trigger to sell last of FXAIX for 25 withdrawal. Social security for me starts late in 2027 and will lower cash to 8% at that time.

I am not wedded to a particular allocation, although I always want to hold some equities. My "safety net" was to have a cash buffer to eliminate the need to sell when I did not want to sell. So, I would say my equity allocation dropped some around retirement (as I was stock piling cash) and may - increase after DH and I trigger SS, with an end goal in the vicinity of 75% equities.

I think pb4uski is the only one lower than me. I too am in more of a preservation mode with 35% equities. The rest is a MYGA, CD’s and cash. I may let the equity portion inch up over time but don’t imagine going over 50% equities. The main function of my portfolio is to cover inflation and lumpy expenses since my pension and SS cover all of my essential spending and most of my discretionary spending. My withdrawal rate is less than 1%.

Retired 7 years, current age 57. We have 77% stocks and plan is for this to drift higher as we age.
Despite our best efforts at blowing the dough our portfolio balance has increased 49.6% since we retired.

Back
Top Bottom