What kind of stock/bond mix you looking at in retirement?

Retired 12 years.
80% equity (all index funds), with about 2/3rds Total U.S. Stock and 1/3rd Total International Stock.
20% cash and short term dollar denominated securities, mostly T-bills, T-notes, non-callable CDs + a few I-Bonds.

Average HNW Asset Allocation (2018)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 5.50.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 5.50.57 PM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 146
We're 65/68, been retired 8 years. Our retirement funds are 65% Equities/35% Real Estate. Been working quite well for us.

Retired last year at 59. 80% Index Funds, 18% Gold ETF, 2% Cash.

Lost money in bond-heavy Wellesley a couple years ago, so reallocated that portion into Gold which has been a good move.

I don’t know enough about individual bonds to be comfortable in that market. My experience with Wellesley (and looking at BND) makes me skeptical as I doubt that I could make better decisions than the professionals there (who are losing money).

I retired at 50, and we initially were at 85/15. Now we're at 70/30 and the DW is much happier. She would prefer 50/50 and I would prefer 80/20 - so we compromised.

I've long followed the old Rule of 100, with an equity AA of 100-age. FI AA includes some ibonds & TIPS (in my IRA) as a bit of an inflation hedge. Plenty aggressive to meet my spending needs early in retirement without risking a 'sequence of returns' issue holding mainly equities. As the Nikkei went South for decades after '89, there's a chance (however small) the US market could also.

I let my equity allocation float between 70% to 80%. After a good year, I tend to decrease my equity allocation a little, and after a bad year, I tend to increase it, but I always stay between 70-80.

Been retired for 10+ years. We have been 45/45/10 for about 10 years, but now my cash position is more than that due to CRFMMF paying out 5.3% these days. I need something to spend that cash on. DW will figure that one out I guess!

I recently reallocated back to 65/31/4 after not paying attention for a while. With a pension and SS I don't need to spend investments on living expenses. (I do spend investment generated cash for fun stuff when I want to.) I keep cash in the investment accounts so I can use QCDs to my advantage if I am close to a IRMAA step after adding up income and projected RMDs for the year without adding selling stock or bond funds to the mix. I did supplement my income from investments for 6 years prior to starting SS at 70. I don't recall ever doing anything but taking a distribution to help rebalance or just leaving the accounts a bit out of balance.

I started retirement at around 60/40, but that doesn't really tell the story. The "40" that I started with is actually a TIPS ladder and I won't rebalance between it and stocks. So it will drift where ever it drifts because it doesn't matter what its market value is at any given time since everything will be held to maturity.

Cheers

I'm right around 90/10 and won't change that very much I think. Sorry I don't buy conventional methods here, esp after 2022 when bonds sucked almost as bad as stocks. Whatever downturns I encounter I think will be made up for in the upturns.

AA.jpg

We have been retired for 8 years. Husband 75, wife 61.

Last edited:
I’m a little late to the dance, but my AA sits at 100% equities as I type this. I’m in the rework process of my portfolio and accounts, incorporating some inherited assets. I’m amazed how many of you have what would be considered very aggressive portfolios, and I’m glad to see it. I retired 2 years ago at 58, and have always been at 100% ETF/mutuals funds/stock. Now that I have time on my hands I’ve been trying to learn about bonds - good grief. I’d like to incorporate fixed income of some type into my portfolio, and have an inherited IRA that would be a perfect place to park it, but have overanalyzed to the point of confusion. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom