Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #221
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm debating on if I should sell the 250 shares of MS and AMZN that I bought yesterday "before" JP speaks later today? Both are up over $4 a share at the moment. As a swing trader I know I should be happy with a 2k profit basically "overnight". What to do....
Buy some AAPL for a swing trade.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me too, specifically XOM and CVX.
Ah, you like the integrated producers. I like the independents. Do you care to share your thought process?

My expectation is oil prices will continue to rise through the summer, and the independents are most leveraged to that. In fact I am planning to sell WMB as I feel the midstream has run its course and value proposition no longer there.

thanks.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:29 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Today I bought 10 shares of VTI at $186 with a limit order that took a long time to fill.

VTI dropping another 20% to the $150 area will hopefully be the bottom.
I bought VTI for $189 a few days ago. I also bought at $200, $205, $210...
How far will this falling knife fall?? That's the $$$$$$$ question.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

I did buy some OXY instead of COP (as I have a lot of COP already). So my only integrated to this point.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Ah, you like the integrated producers. I like the independents. Do you care to share your thought process?
Pretty simple...

(1) I was on the periphery of the oil industry for decades so I "think" I know something about it. OTOH, a little knowledge can be dangerous.

(2) I like the idea of a company having all (well most) of the business functions under their control (for the most part). Many would simply call that the upstream, downstream and chemicals components of the oil business, but to me that's an over simplification. In any case, as an example, when one area has troubles financially, the others can "usually" pick it up. When they are all doing well...

YMMV
Old 06-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Probably doesn't count as shopping, but I'm considering selling megacorp stock. It's actually up this year. I have a bunch of it in my 401(k). I've already sold a bunch for my RMD but am considering selling more to empty out my 410(k) up to my IRMMA limit. Eventually I'll either have higher RMDs affecting IRMMA or I'll leave my stash to DW as a single person. Either is potentially problematic. Now might be the time to start working on it. I could even do a Roth conversion but need to think about the pros and cons of that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The futures were saying 90+% chance it is .75.
and they were right.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:20 PM   #228
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Pretty simple...

(1) I was on the periphery of the oil industry for decades so I "think" I know something about it. OTOH, a little knowledge can be dangerous.

(2) I like the idea of a company having all (well most) of the business functions under their control (for the most part). Many would simply call that the upstream, downstream and chemicals components of the oil business, but to me that's an over simplification. In any case, as an example, when one area has troubles financially, the others can "usually" pick it up. When they are all doing well...

YMMV
Any thoughts on USA vs. non-USA producers, given the "windfall profits tax" wailing?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Any thoughts on USA vs. non-USA producers, given the "windfall profits tax" wailing?
I just don't know enough about non US producers to comment.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:25 PM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

My expectation is oil prices will continue to rise through the summer, and the independents are most leveraged to that. In fact I am planning to sell WMB as I feel the midstream has run its course and value proposition no longer there.

thanks.
Many think crude prices will come off faster than product prices. Thats where independents will shine, imo.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #231
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I bought VTI for $189 a few days ago. I also bought at $200, $205, $210...
How far will this falling knife fall?? That's the $$$$$$$ question.
I guess the good news is it will eventually get back to $244.06. The 52 week high.

Bad news is the worldwide oil and energy inflation situation could pull VTI down another 20%.

Wealth destruction for sellers and Wealth creation for buyers.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:55 AM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Looks like it's time to start buying back in. Dow is below 30k now.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #233
Give me a forum ...

No, not buying right now, but a bunch of put options will be assigned tomorrow. That's enough.

Out of more than 100 stock positions I have, I counted a single stock that's in the green today for me to sell a covered call option on. The whole landscape looks so darn bleak.

On the other hand, I also have lots of call options expiring worthless tomorrow. Next week, hopefully the market will turn up a bit, or at least stops sliding, so that I can sell more call options again.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No, not buying right now, but a bunch of put options will be assigned tomorrow. That's enough.

Out of more than 100 stock positions I have, I counted a single stock that's in the green today for me to sell a covered call option on. The whole landscape looks so darn bleak.

On the other hand, I also have lots of call options expiring worthless tomorrow. Next week, hopefully the market will turn up a bit, or at least stops sliding, so that I can sell more call options again.
I have a couple of up on the day positions at the moment:
BOIL - 3X levered Natural Gas
SRS - ultra short real estate

Unfortunately, these are both small positions which I mostly have just for tracking purposes. Everything else red red red.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:58 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to risk it and I'm buying some more energy stocks today... Not a lot, maybe 500 XOM and 500 CVX.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #236

Quote:
I'm going to risk it and I'm buying some more energy stocks today... Not a lot, maybe 500 XOM and 500 CVX.
Hopefully you mean $500 not 500 shares. Lol.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:31 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Hopefully you mean $500 not 500 shares. Lol.
No it was 500 shares "each". You win some and you lose some. (When you sell) I'll hold for a while. Actually, I may buy more later today. (DCA)
Old 06-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

I bought back 18 covered call contracts with expiry next Friday 6/24. Most are down to 10c or less on the dollar.

I don't like to do the above. It means my underlying stocks have crashed so hard, their options become worthless, with no hope of recovering with one week left till expiry.

Still, with this crazy market, there's a sliver of hope that the market will bounce a bit next week for me to sell more covered calls with expiry further out. I most likely will have to settle for much lower strike prices. Things have changed, and one cannot insist that his stocks are worth as much as they used to.

And I managed to sell 23 OTM covered calls for next Friday. Not a lot of money from the premium, but a guy's got to get what he can in this miserable market. Every little bit helps. Forget about Wagyu steak, I am trying to make enough money for burger here.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Much better today in the market.... Thank God for DCAing ..... Now, do I sell at such a small profit
Old 06-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #240
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Much better today in the market.... Thank God for DCAing ..... Now, do I sell at such a small profit
I'm looking to get out of 600+ shares of VZ @$54.00 if it pops. Call options suck on VZ unless you go out a year or so. Not volatile enough.