Join Early Retirement Today

What to do with gold coins
Old 12-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What to do with gold coins

A few years before he died, my dad decided to invest some of his money in gold coins through Goldline, a company which, in hindsight, he probably should have avoided. I inherited the coins; they are ďAmerican EagleĒ coins with a lady on the front of them. I donít have them on me; they are in a safe deposit box. I donít know how many coins I have but they weigh a few pounds in total.

Are these coins of any value? I would imagine they have some gold in them but I donít know whether they are pure gold (I doubt it). If I wanted to get rid of them, any idea what Iíd do? I am not sure I trust Goldline and donít know whether they would buy them back. Would another coin shop take them, if only to melt them down?
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If they are really American Eagles (and what you describe sounds like it), you likely have over $100k in coins, if it is "a few pounds".

Go to a local reputable coin shop to assure they are the real deal.

If it is some gold plated fakery, then you have a few dollars.

I'm pretty sure goldline is reputable, although their prices probably are not that hot.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:57 PM   #3

You would need to know exactly what they are.
Just for starters, American Eagle gold coins have been made in weights from 1 ounce down to 1/10 of an ounce. There are many other considerations when determining their value.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never seen one, but according to the US Mint, Gold Eagle coins:
Specifications

Composition is 91.67% gold, 3% silver, balance copper with a reeded edge.

Weight and diameter differs between the one, half, quarter, and tenth ounce sizes.

The one ounce coin, $50 face value, is 1.287 inches (32.70 mm) in diameter, contains one gold troy ounce and weighs 1.0909 troy ounces (33.931 g).

The one-half ounce coin, $25 face value, is 1.063 inches (27.00 mm) in diameter, contains 0.5000 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.5455 troy ounce (16.966 g).

The one-quarter ounce coin, $10 face value, is 0.866 inch (22.00 mm) in diameter, contains 0.2500 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.2727 troy ounce (8.483 g).

The one-tenth ounce coin, $5 face value, is 0.650 inch (16.50 mm) in diameter, contains 0.1000 gold troy ounce and weighs 0.1091 troy ounce (3.393 g).

Based on gold value, each pound would be worth:
0.91 x $1,800/troy oz. x 12 troy oz/pound = $19,600

As you say, it may have been a bad investment, with lots of mark-up for the seller, but still worth quite a bit.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:12 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The one ounce eagles are worth at least $1700 each. If you take them to be examined, don't let them take them out of your sight. If they claim they are fakes, get a second opinion.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
The one ounce eagles are worth at least $1700 each. If you take them to be examined, don't let them take them out of your sight. If they claim they are fakes, get a second opinion.
Yes. If OP has 3.5 ( a few) pounds of these, OP is close to $100k, which is where my off hand estimate came from. If some or all are proofs, even more. If OP's pounds are packaging, crater the value to a fraction.

We don't have enough info, let alone if these are real.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If they are more than a year old and look like this then they are probably American Gold Eagles minted since 1986... (22 k gold) The reverse design changed in 21 or 22 (IIRC). Regardless, the value is about ~$1875 per 1oz coin on today's market. Any reputable coin dealer should give you that... Easy to sell at coin shows for that too. You can shop them around at a coin show or at coin dealers but they are all going to pay the same (bullion prices + a little for it being a coin) which change slightly day to day. Proof Gold Eagles will be worth a little more but 99% of Gold coin are regular issue. (not proofs)

BTW, American Gold Eagles are not "pure gold" since they have other elements in them to make them harder so they won't scratch/bend or otherwise damage so easily. Regardless, if it says 1 oz on the coin, it has 1 full oz of Gold plus a small amount of the other elements to make them harder..

Old 12-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Regardless, the value is about $1825 per 1oz coin on today's market. Any reputable coin dealer should give you that...
Any time Iíve sold precious metal, you donít get spot. You pay a premium to buy them and you give up a percentage when you sell. Thatís one of the things that I dislike about buying/selling gold. I havenít bought/sold in awhile, but I seem to recall about a 5% hit on each end.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

I don't believe Goldline sells the gold plated novelty coins like Franklin Mint and others. BIG premium on physical coins right now so walk away if only offered spot price. I would personally sell peer to peer and split the buy/sell difference the dealers take.
Dream Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Any time Iíve sold precious metal, you donít get spot. You pay a premium to buy them and you give up a percentage when you sell. Thatís one of the things that I dislike about buying/selling gold. I havenít bought/sold in awhile, but I seem to recall about a 5% hit on each end.
FWIW, I sold a bunch of gold jewelry around 10 years ago to US Gold Buyers and they gave me very close to spot price. I was quite pleased and told a few friends who also were happy with their deals. Easy to do, and there are probably others who offer similar, but you definitely have to do your homework in these transactions.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Any time I’ve sold precious metal, you don’t get spot. You pay a premium to buy them and you give up a percentage when you sell. That’s one of the things that I dislike about buying/selling gold. I haven’t bought/sold in awhile, but I seem to recall about a 5% hit on each end.
Actually in today's market I get spot + (for the bullion being in coin form). A gold bar my be different... Years ago I'd get a little under spot like you said (1 or 2%, maybe), for such a coin, but I guess things have changed since the last time I sold, I got a premium over spot (bid). Of course if I was buying, the "ask" was even higher. YMMV
Old 12-04-2022, 06:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Weaver View Post
I don't believe Goldline sells the gold plated novelty coins like Franklin Mint and others. BIG premium on physical coins right now so walk away if only offered spot price. I would personally sell peer to peer and split the buy/sell difference the dealers take.
Oh yeah, my dad went down that rathole. Can't remember the name of the place. Most of it was crap. He did buy 2 Morgans, but he probably paid double value. It seems that a 140 yr old coin would have great value, but not the motherload Morgans.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Goldline is currently selling these in four weights from 1/10 oz. to 1 oz. All at 91.67% gold purity.

You could be holding a nice stash of money!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Oh yeah, my dad went down that rathole. Can't remember the name of the place. Most of it was crap. He did buy 2 Morgans, but he probably paid double value. It seems that a 140 yr old coin would have great value, but not the motherload Morgans.
Now you are talking about numismatics value and not bullion value... Coin type, dates, mint mark and condition all come into play. Example a 1893 S Morgan in just AU (almost uncirculated) starts about ~25k. While if it's in MS (Mint State) will go for 200k+ to over 1/2 million

But there are 10's of thousands of Morgan Dollars minted in the late 1800's (other dates, mint marks) that are worth less than $100 each even in uncirculated condition.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, sorry to mix the conversation. OP's coins if real, are all about metal value.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Which I'm thinking is substantial. A kilogram (2.2 pounds) gold bar is sixty grand.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:49 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Was any inventory at all done when you Dad died. When u say what to do with, what's your goal.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When my Dad passed we put all his coins on eBay. He had a number of gold Canadian Maple Leaf coins. Every one sold above the spot price. I never could figure out why. I wondered if it was a back door way to launder money, avoid commissions or ?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Coins always have value over spot. Don't need assay, easily verified, government issue.

Unlike bars, ingots and such.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:41 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

You can get over spot price in today's market. JMBullion will pay 3.6% over spot for 1 oz AGEs, and they sell them for 10% more than their buy price. These are very easy to sell. The coins are not PURE gold, but they do have the amount of gold stated on the reverse of the coin. So a 1 oz coin has 1 oz of gold although it will weigh a little more than 1 oz.

The spreads are bigger for the smaller AGEs. A 1/10 oz coin can be sold for around 13% over spot but to buy one could cost about 50% over spot.

Other dealers could pay more or less, and sell for more or less.

A lot of collectors are grumbling about how much over spot these are selling for but that's what the market will bear because they are kind of hard to find (which makes no sense, but that's what I'm hearing - people don't seem to want to sell what they have). Dealers know they have to restock what they sell so there aren't any great deals on gold these days.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote