Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Don't corporations already do that?
Mine didn't, you were working for the wrong one!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
At mine they ate our young.😁
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Yes you are right, my boss was intolerable, I was self employed
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
At mine they ate our young.😁
And that was a bad thing?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
The factories mostly aren't coming back......
I can guarantee the factories in Connecticut are not coming back, and neither are the thousands of jobs that went away. Sad.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #26

One word "BLOCKCHAIN",or is that two words?
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We are more likely to have advanced technology simultaneously with poverty, crimes, drug abuse, political unrest, etc...
IMO, been like that since the Romans ruled the world.
As William Gibson wrote: "The future is here. It's just unevenly distributed."
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
The $1000 bonuses companies are giving, I don't see as generous. Why not give raises if the new tax plan is so awesome? The middle class drives our economy. Credit drives our economy.
That's too bad, I was just going to send you a $1,000 check. It seems you do not think it will help you.

A $1,000 bonus is like a 0.50 raise, one time. Hopefully bonuses can continue. Several companies have already increased wages to at least $15 an hour. There is a worker (not labor) shortage, so wages will likely increase further.

Imagine if you did not have to pay taxes at all, how much more money you could spend? In my own businesses, I will save ~$3,000. That's an extra $3K that will either drive up the stock market, or drive up Amazon's profits... The S&P profits will continue to increase, and the stock market prices will too.

With lower taxes, companies have additional incentive to produce here. The USA is still at a disadvantage compared to other countries labor rates. The middle class drives the economy, but without jobs, they are not driving anything.

We are in the very early stages of Global wage equalization. We have a lot more years before a person living in a hut in a 3rd world country has the same lifestyle as someone in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I can guarantee the factories in Connecticut are not coming back, and neither are the thousands of jobs that went away. Sad.
If they do come back, it will not be in CT. Not without subsidies.

If you do not believe that factories will ever come back, let's hope that enough people hire low-skilled labor to do our chores. The upcoming demographics indicate low-education and low-skill jobs are the future for most of America. Technology dumbs down higher skilled jobs to the point a high-school drop out can do them. It takes a few engineers or IT folks, but they are becoming less and less relevant as technology even replaces them.

A computer calculates change at a restaurant, and even sometimes gives it out. Phones and debit cards take away the need to even calculate change for a person to give out. The internet and on-line sales take away the need for a a knowledgeable sales person. Computers make drinks at a bar, so a bartender doesn't have to know 500+ drinks from memory. A kiosk or tablet lets someone order, and pay at a table, and even call the server, so the Server doesn't really have to know how to be a server, just a delivery person.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
The $1000 bonuses companies are giving, I don't see as generous. Why not give raises if the new tax plan is so awesome? T
Some companies are giving raises.

Partial List below:

Aflac: $250 million boost in U.S. investments and increased 401(k) benefits, including one-time contribution of $500 to every employee’s retirement savings account.

American Savings Bank: $1,000 bonus to 1,150 employees, nearly the entire workforce, and increase of minimum wage from $12.21 an hour to $15.15.

Aquesta Financial Holdings: $1,000 bonus to all employees, increase in minimum wage to $15 per hour.

Associated Bank: $500 bonus to nearly all employees and increased minimum wage to $15 per hour, up from $10.

AT&T: $1,000 bonus to all 200,000 U.S. workers and $1 billion boost in U.S. investments.

Bank of America: $1,000 bonus for about 145,000 U.S. employees.

Bank of Hawaii: $1,000 bonus for 2,074 employees, or 95 percent of its workforce, and increase of minimum wage from $12 to $15.

BB&T Corp.: $1,200 bonus for almost three-fourths of associates, or 27,000 employees, and increase in minimum wage from $12 to $15.

Boeing: $300 million boost in investments to employee gift-match programs, workforce development, and workplace improvements.

Central Pacific Bank: $1,000 bonus to all 850 nonexecutive employees and increase in minimum wage from $12 to $15.25.

Comcast NBCUniversal: $1,000 bonus for more than 100,000 employees.

Deleware Supermarkets Inc.: $150 bonus to 1,000 nonmanagement employees and $150,000 in new investment in employee training and development programs.

Express Employment Prc: $2,000 bonus to all nonexecutive employees at Oklahoma City headquarters.

Fifth Third Bancorp: $1,000 bonus for all 13,500 employees and increase of minimum wage to $15 for nearly 3,000 workers.

First Hawaiian Bank: $1,500 bonus for all 2,264 employees and increase in minimum wage to $15.

First Horizon National Corp.: $1,000 bonus to employees who do not participate in company-sponsored bonus plans.

Kansas City Southern: $1,000 bonus to employees of subsidiaries in the U.S. and Mexico.

Melaleuca: $100 bonus for every year an employee has worked for the company—an average of $800 for each of 2,000 workers.

National Bank Holdings Corp.: $1,000 bonus to all noncommissioned associates who earn a base salary under $50,000.

Nelnet: $1,000 bonus for nearly all of 4,100 employees.

Nephron Parmaceuticals: wage increase of 5 percent for its 640 employees.

Nexus: wage increase of 5 percent and plans to hire 200 workers in 2018.

OceanFirst Bank: increase in minimum wage from $13.60 to $15, affecting at least 166 employees.

PNC Bank: $1,000 bonus to 47,500 employees and $1,500 increase to existing pension accounts.

Pinnacle Bank: $1,000 bonus for all full-time employees in Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri.

Pioneer Credit Recovery: $1,000 bonus to employees.

Rush Enterprises Inc.: $1,000 discretionary bonus to 6,600 U.S. employees.

Sinclair Broadcast: $1,000 bonus to nearly 9,000 employees.

SunTrust: increase of minimum wage to $15, $50 million increase in community grants, 1 percent 401(k) contribution for all employees.

Turning Point Brands, Inc.: $1,000 bonus to 107 employees.

Washington Federal, Inc.: wage increase of 5 percent for employees earning less than $100,000 per year and increased investments in technology infrastructure and community projects.

Wells Fargo: increase in minimum wage from $13.50 to $15, and higher charitable giving by about 40 percent, to $400 million.

Western Alliance: wage increase of 7.5 percent for the lowest-paid 50 percent of employees.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
I'm looking at the S&P P/E ratios today and thinking wow, people sure are optimistic about future growth.
I don't think the big funds are looking beyond the next six months and the impact of the new tax rates.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #31

Quote:
That's absolutely true even now. But once AI is equal to or superior to human intelligence, then there are no jobs whatsoever that won't be better done by robots. None.
Underground coal miners. Although we have been automated for decades, it takes a human to make a decision about a lot of things underground. And although some will say that coal powered electricity will be eliminated, it will be the base power source if we want a manufacturing based economy. Nuclear could replace it, but it has to be mined, although not by as many people.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #32

The market is just beginning to come to grips with what the tax plan means. An immediate increase in earnings of at least 20% for companies paying 35% in taxes and with the capital changes for expense you are probably looking at an average tax savings of 25% of profits which drops the S&P 500 from a PE of 26 to 20.5 before any increase or growth in the economy 3% growth drops the PE under 19. Since there is an incentive now to find earning since the rate is lower and you can claim capital expenditures against the tax cost expect most companies to have positive earning surprises in 2018. That the S&P would be at 15 PE based on today's closing prices and 2018 earnings would be what I would expect. So whatever the market would decide to price those earnings out by the end of the year will be how much gain or loss there will be. My gues would be between 18-20 PE so planning a 20-33% gain for 2018 myself
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I do sometimes wonder if we will have to do like ancient Rome and Constantinople did and provide bread and video(virtual reality) games as Clarke suggested in the City and the Stars.
That and soma, a la Huxley.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
What's got people excited about the future of the economy?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

What's got people excited about the future of the economy?

I think a realistic major uplift to global prosperity could happen with advances in education and productivity in the third world.

Can you imagine how much wealth would be created if sub Sahara Africa had the same productivity levels as South Korea or Israel? They certainly have the same natural resource capacities that the US built upon.

Granted disease, government corruption, lack of national unity, etc are in the way.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
My gues would be between 18-20 PE so planning a 20-33% gain for 2018 myself
Boy that would be nice!
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Underground coal miners. Although we have been automated for decades, it takes a human to make a decision about a lot of things underground. And although some will say that coal powered electricity will be eliminated, it will be the base power source if we want a manufacturing based economy. Nuclear could replace it, but it has to be mined, although not by as many people.
Seems to me that in the developed world, manufacturing based economies are becoming as obsolete as farming based economies have already become. Today we have more farm production than ever, but we are long past being a farming based economy. In the future I would bet there will be more manufacturing than ever, people never seem to run out of things to want, but our economy will never again be based on it. The accelerating progress of scientific and technological innovation, notably machine intelligence and low cost of data and information flow, has made that change inevitable. The real question now is how we as people and nations will deal with it. Such profound dislocations will have profound repercussions, and neither politicians of the right or the left seem to want or know how to deal with it. We are in for some rough weather.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #37

Quote:
That's absolutely true even now. But once AI is equal to or superior to human intelligence, then there are no jobs whatsoever that won't be better done by robots. None.
Some jobs have as most defining quality that humans do them, these won't be replaced.

Handcrafted items, rent-a-family, voting contests (elections), rule making, that sort of thing.

Whether that's enough to provide everyone with purpose and work, to be seen.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Seems to me that in the developed world, manufacturing based economies are becoming as obsolete as farming based economies have already become. Today we have more farm production than ever, but we are long past being a farming based economy. In the future I would bet there will be more manufacturing than ever, people never seem to run out of things to want, but our economy will never again be based on it. The accelerating progress of scientific and technological innovation, notably machine intelligence and low cost of data and information flow, has made that change inevitable. The real question now is how we as people and nations will deal with it. Such profound dislocations will have profound repercussions, and neither politicians of the right or the left seem to want or know how to deal with it. We are in for some rough weather.
In the last 4 years manufacturing jobs have increased over 9 percent by more than one million jobs even as the economy has grown at a slower rate. Construction Jobs in the last four years has risen by over 25% to 6 million workers. It is true that since 2000 the US has lost about 5 million jobs, even after gaining 1 million back recently. However China has gained, thanks in large part to extremely low shipping costs of goods, 16 million manufacturing jobs to 100 million manufacturing jobs up to nearly $3.60 in wages hourly and Mexico has gained 1 million manufacturing jobs, from 4 million to a little over 5 million at $2.48 cents per hour. I think finance and cost has a lot more to do with manufacturing jobs than the takeover by robots, by robots sell more video commericials for websites
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Today's jobs report shows that fewer jobs were created in 2017 than in 2016.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
IMO, been like that since the Romans ruled the world.
As William Gibson wrote: "The future is here. It's just unevenly distributed."
+1 There's plenty of wealth out there, and it's increasing all the time. The challenge is how to get everybody in the game. I heard a discussion on NPR yesterday about various ways companies are dealing with a lack of qualified workers - more automation, increase pay to hold on to those they do have, turn away new business, etc. As time goes on, the bar is raised for what constitutes "qualified", and that's the challenge we're facing these days.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote