Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thirty years ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Returns on capital below 10%, haven't corrected on the dividend and priced at almost a 30 P/E ratio, what's not to like

My impression of GE is that after they nearly blew themselves up being a bank (2009), they still need to reestablish themselves as great builders and engineers.

Would only be interested for a closer look if they dropped another 30% in price, and even then I'd be a bit apprehensive for the longer term.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
their continuing efforts on the "Shrink GE Into Greatness" campaign
Yep - seems like a common US corporate strategy.

Did they announce a stock buyback yet?

Oh, I guess they were already buying back stock before this nasty news came out to hammer their stock price.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
And GE announced this morning profits much lower than expected and they are taking a 16 cent per share charge as their continuing efforts on the "Shrink GE Into Greatness" campaign, ---my name for their disjointed, misguided and futile efforts to make the stock market price go up through Corporate Boardroom soundbite moves that look like proper executive actions for your 5 minutes on CNBC while you explain them, which is how GE is managed. It is like an elephant trying to pretend they are a gazelle, saying don't make it so....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
A couple of those folks were the make lots of money while destroying your future product kind of guys...

Nothing wrong with making lots of money, but there needs to be some focus beyond the end of the quarter.
It is perhaps poor form to quote yourself as a reference...

We used to call this form of management Shrinking yourself into Incredible Profitability.

I think a whole bunch of these CEOs and Board of Director folks were fraternity brothers at the same MBA school. MegaCorp went through a phase of fiscal tightening where we would tear down relatively new buildings to get them off the assets sheet, thus improving our return on assets ratio. The criteria for capital investment required a 12 month pay back on investment. We were outsourcing a lot of production at a higher unit cost (because we could not buy new capital equipment).

Short term, it curtailed a lot of wasteful spending, and the company improved it's profitability. Long term, our production costs went up and some of our customers went away. It took many years to recover from this philosophy.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Will someone please announce when it will be the right time to buy GE again?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
2 days after the new MBA fratboys cut the dividend.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #27

After the Jack Welch financial games it would take some selling to get me to buy.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
As a business with 7 Billion in Cash Flow and 8.8 Billion shares and their Pension issues to arrive at a value higher than 15-18 dollars per share would require a very optimistic view of prospects for GE, I think at 15-18 it would be fairly valued. Because of it's long term reputation it trades higher but it will trend to 15-18 if nothing changes in the next 12-18 months
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Saw this article a couple days ago. What a dog!

"Since former CEO Jeff Immelt took the helm in September 2001, the stock is down more than 40 percent and has posted a negative return even after reinvesting its juicy dividends."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ge-results/ge-vows-20-billion-asset-sales-sweeping-change-as-profit-falls-idUSKBN1CP1AO?il=0
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a buyer at $8 which won't be for another 4 weeks.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
Down to $21.50 this morning. Only 13 1/2 points to go. I like the OVER on this one.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
My basis in the share of GE I own is about $8.50. It's been painful to watch it drop. Have been holding on as not to create a sizable tax event for this year.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
My basis in the share of GE I own is about $8.50. It's been painful to watch it drop. Have been holding on as not to create a sizable tax event for this year.
Avoiding taxes is not a good reason to hold a stock. Based on price of $28, at $21.50 today you've already taken a $7.50 (23%) haircut on the price. Conversely, if you would have sold at $28 you would have had a gain of $19.50 a share and taxes at 25% would have been about $5/share.

And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing, could have sold a portion of the holdings.

After holding this pig for 3 years I finally sold it off myself several months ago. Got tired to watching the falling knife on this.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post

And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing, could have sold a portion of the holdings.

Actually sold of 20% of my holdings around Labor DAy
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Thirty years ago.
Right. That’s exactly what my in laws did. Cost basis about $6. Better question might be “when to sell”?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Buy it just before it starts going up more than the rest of the market.
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Another company that did a lot of stock buybacks back when the price was higher!

Cash flow problems - I bet they wish that hadn't blown all that cash on buybacks!

Quote:
In the first half of 2017, General Electric (GE) paid dividends of $4.2 billion and bought back common stock worth $3.6 billion. Despite the sharp fall in GE’s price, the company repurchased equity shares worth $1.3 billion in the second quarter. It was much less than the $2.3 billion buyback in the first quarter of 2017.
http://marketrealist.com/2017/09/gen...lders-in-2017/
Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Right. That’s exactly what my in laws did. Cost basis about $6. Better question might be “when to sell”?
I'm pretty sure that over this time period counting my dividends my cost basis has to be below $0. Not sure how to calculate it though.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #39

Finally dumped my GE today. Not much. Only 80 shares. Needed the loss to balance the gains for the year. I will leave it on my "watch" list. It was about 1% of my "play" account.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Based on the earnings conference call and forecast for the next quarter, I would expect some support at $15.50-$16. I previously was looking at the $19.50-$20 range for a trading buy. With tax loss season upon us, don't be surprised to see the $19.50 range over the next few weeks. I'm maintaining my position on my notes that mature in 2018 and 2022. Ironically even GEB, GEH and GEK with their relatively low coupons have been a better investment over the last 4 years than GE common stock.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote