Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #21

I'm fortunate, as I have a guaranteed income fund, paying 3.25%. But my mom is going to get a huge check after selling her house, and is asking me where to put it. The best I could offer is just find one of the 0.5% FDIC accounts.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While not the normal answer, I have pretty much given up on CDs, and cash accounts, even MMFs … still maintain a buffer, but …

Been buying ATT on dips for the past 18 months … 7% dividend and really stable share price.

I recognize the risks.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CFG bank .60 percent
T-Mobile Money 1.00 percent

All FDIC insured.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyguy123 View Post
Don't really know much about Vanguard money market funds, but I've got most of my extra cash in a Goldman Sachs Marcus Savings account. Super liquid, transfers to/from are within a business day, and it's paying 0.50%. Better than earnings peanuts in a checking account.
Same here.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Most inexperienced retiree here
Old 07-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most inexperienced retiree here

So take with grain of whatever. I always get sand and salt confused with that phrase.

1 year's expenses: Local bank - it hurts - .10% but all my bills and autopays are there. I like having a brick and mortar place.

1 year's expenses: Discover@.40%. Ally@.50%

1 year's expenses: GM Financial Right notes@1.5% - not FDIC

6 months expenses: Marcus 9 month CD @.65%
(I wish they'd named it Samantha ...would be hotter to say than Marcus but I guess that's a 1st world problem)
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not a traditional, ready "cash parking" place but I looked at the long term price fluctuation and I'm willing to take some risk for the return. I do not have all my cash here--FRFZX
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
My NFCU MM pays .45%. That’s 15-45x better.
Although there may be cash accounts that pay marginally better than NFCU, I haven’t seen anything that’s enough better to make it worth my time/effort to switch. And I trust NFCU - that’s worth something.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #28

I don't think everyone here uses the same definition of the word cash.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #29

The purpose of "cash", for most of us, is to not have to "sell low". That's a good enough definition for me.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Although there may be cash accounts that pay marginally better than NFCU, I haven’t seen anything that’s enough better to make it worth my time/effort to switch. And I trust NFCU - that’s worth something.

Switch from what? I agree it’s not worth chasing .25% or less unless we’re taking a huge amount. I just think it’s smart to use term ladders to get a little better return on funds not needed for the current year. These online savings rates could drop any day.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

In the checking/savings for .01%. Yeah, it's for spending.

Stocks for making dough, bonds for stability and cash to blow!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I’ve kind of given up beyond high yield savings accounts. I do have a big stash in shorter term CDs not maturing until next spring. So until next spring I’m not even shopping.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Switch from what? I agree it’s not worth chasing .25% or less unless we’re taking a huge amount. I just think it’s smart to use term ladders to get a little better return on funds not needed for the current year. These online savings rates could drop any day.
From NFCU’s MM account paying .45% for my cash* holdings. I was responding to your comment that you have a .45% NFCU MM account. I was agreeing with you. As I appear to with you about on-line savings rates.

* By “cash” I mean savings accounts, MM accounts, checking accounts, etc. Not bonds, CDs, MYGAs, I-Bonds, ST bond funds, etc.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:34 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

$500 a year per $100k just doesn't excite me enough to go through the trouble of rolling money over to a bank and creating another account. I'll let my equities do the heavy lifting. That's what they're there for. The cash is for not having to sell during a market downturn.
Late last year I did move some cash into a Baird short term bond fund just to "try something". That obviously hasn't gone anywhere.

I do have about 40% of my cash/equivalents in a guaranteed 3% fund inside my 401k which is the only reason I haven't rolled it into my IRA. I could roll money the other way from IRA to 401k, I guess, but in order to access it they actually make you fill out paper forms and fax or mail to get the withdrawal. Nope, no thanks.
Guamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The Bank and in the Gunsafe

Interest rates are about the same....

Nice having Cash handy at home.....

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Me too, got 10 grand in the safe, 100 Benjamins. Doesn't take much room -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:35 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyguy123 View Post
Don't really know much about Vanguard money market funds, but I've got most of my extra cash in a Goldman Sachs Marcus Savings account. Super liquid, transfers to/from are within a business day, and it's paying 0.50%. Better than earnings peanuts in a checking account.
Well, that sounds pretty good these days. I'm keeping cash in a Vio savings account at 0.57%. We're all hoping for a bit of an upturn in interest rates soon, right?
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:39 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My Marcus savings is earning 0.8% due to bonuses from AARP and the referral deal that expire next month. Maybe I should repost and promote that referral link!
Old 07-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We have about $740k in Flexible Retirement Annuities with USAA paying an average of 2.25%. Any new money added would pay the minimum 1%. We’ve had them long enough that they’re basically a savings account now with no penalties of any kind, and no fees. They’re not FDIC insured, but USAA is a very strong company.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
The Bank and in the Gunsafe

Interest rates are about the same....

Nice having Cash handy at home.....

Until you get a home invasion.

Years ago, read about a couple, had (in today's dollars) about $300,000 in cash in safe at home. They were beaten nearly to death until the safe was opened.
They had not trusted banks, so it was the majority of their savings.

Very sad...