Who else in long AAPL and breaking out the champagne bottle ?

wingfooted

Recycles dryer sheets
What a move these last four days, has had a big impact on YTD results.

Looks like smooth sailing to 630 (90 post split) to me.

What happened last Wednesday night?

I'm still holding my first set of shares I bought back in 2000 after the bubble burst. I've bought and sold others since then. I've also got a batch that I bought after it dropped from 702 to 608, and thought it was a great buying opportunity. :facepalm:

On the whole though, Apple is helping me retire a couple of years earlier than I otherwise would have. I expect to sell most of what I have left when I'm in a transition where I will pay 0% LTCG tax.

Bought in below 500 when it tanked over the last year-plus (didn't get in sub-400, and didn't have money to buy it pre-iPod when I really wanted to!!), but sticking with it long. we'll see how that does, but it's only about 3% of my total portfolio, so...

I bought Apple twice, both times for the dividend (2.50 and then again 2.70). Not a spectacular dividend, but I figured (hoped) Apple would raise the dividend considering all the money they had just lying around. I bought it at $476. and again at $399.

Last edited:
They announced a 7:1 stock split and an 8% dividend increase. Plus earnings and revenue well exceeded expectations and they are increasing buy backs.

These are good things, right?

As mentioned, outsized impact on my account (was way, way overweighted AAPL). Nice when it goes your way.

rqi6NPvBoCqG61gCxtUlhkzMi0NAh4w4H7RrGXrTz_A=w560-h216-p

I bought in at 400 and 450 a little while ago. Sold a bit when it bounced back over 450. I plan to hold the rest long term and collect some nice dividends as they increase over time. This is one of my few individual stock positions and is only 1/2% of my portfolio.

I cashed out an option spread yesterday that I had been holding for a couple of months. I was long June $500 calls and short May $530 calls. I had paid $19 for the spread and was able to cash it out early for $30 because of the time premium on the June calls. Over 50% return in a couple of months, but it was only a few ten thousand. Enough to buy 30 or 40 Iphones I guess.

Originally bought in at a split-adjusted $8, sold all at $72, bought back half (300 shares) at $52. Still holding as part of dividend portfolio.

I initially bought back in early 2005, around the $88.60 mark, and soon after it did a 2:1 split. So, effectively, $44.30. Since then, I've bought more as it dipped, sold a bit as it went up, lather rinse repeat, so I don't know, off the top of my head, what my overall cost basis is right now.

Still, I'm happy with what it's been doing. My plan had been to sell off a bit if it went to around $575, buy a bit if it dropped below $500, but at the rate it's going, I might hold off on selling until after the split.

Still sitting with half of my modest position bought Dec 2000 (cost approximately $10/share), and added a bit 1/23/13 @ 455.

I love it when I have an investment whose annual dividend is greater than my initial investment! :)

I don't own AAPL (I wish I did), but I am surprised that nobody here is mentioning Samsung. Just returned from a trip to Asia and it seems that everyone now is dumping their iPhones to switch to Samsung, and only a few years ago everyone there wanted an iPhone. Those I have talked to who have used both now prefer Samsung. Tablets that are also phones, phones with apps that also work as remotes for their TVs, new camera with wireless transfer to phone. I don't use either so I don't know from personal experience, but I would worry long term about Apple with so much competition in their most profitable area. They will need new products to provide continued growth and without Steve Jobs I wonder from where will it come. As long as the market is strong I would guess their growth could continue, but after the next market break I worry they could become the next Microsoft, stable but not stellar. But then again I am usually wrong about these sorts of things.

A better comparison would be Nokia. Top of the world and worth hundreds of billions of dollars in 2006, fast forward to 2012 and they are $2 a share (rebounded some now).

Still sitting with half of my modest position bought Dec 2000 (cost approximately $10/share), and added a bit 1/23/13 @ 455.

I love it when I have an investment whose annual dividend is greater than my initial investment! :)

Yeah, that must be a pretty sweet feeling! In my case, Apple's dividend is about 29.7% of my initial investment. I have some shares of Cedar Fair (FUN), that I bought for around $7/share back in 2009. Currently paying about $2.80, so that's a 32.8% return. Not too shabby I guess.

I am a bit sad that I sold part of my Apple *before* the earnings blowout and split but I bought into Gilead sub $70 and it is $77 today heading for $130 so all is not lost. :)

Wish I had bought Gilead a few years ago instead of Apple. Would have a few thousand % gain...

I kinda wish I had throw my whole $175K HELOC into Apple back in early 2005. That would have bought 3950 shares at $44.30 per share. And it would currently be worth about $2.36M, and paying out $51,982 per year in dividends.

Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. And I'm sure I would've been panicking in 2008, as AAPL plummeted from $200 per share down to around $100.

I kinda wish I had throw my whole $175K HELOC into Apple back in early 2005. That would have bought 3950 shares at $44.30 per share. And it would currently be worth about $2.36M, and paying out $51,982 per year in dividends.

Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. And I'm sure I would've been panicking in 2008, as AAPL plummeted from $200 per share down to around $100.

Therein lies the problem. Investment decisions should not be made on emotions, especially that of fear or greed. If the investment is too big (as a % of your net worth), you will panic out at the wrong time and/or get too greedy.

I too wish that I had bought a s__t load of AAPL in 2000, but if so would I have held it? Or, would I have been pushed out of it at some inopportune time?

When I bought the stock, it was because of a few reasons:
1. Everyone thought they were going to be finished off by Microsoft, but I thought Jobs coming back could result in some new stuff.
2.Their use of a superior processor (Power PC) that they would hold their own (i.e. not go to zero market share) in the PC marketplace, especially for certain application segments.
3. They had a bunch of cash, about $13/share (stock was at $19). Not just plant and equipment, or "goodwill", but in fact CASH. I figured that they could afford to keep going for quite a while, even with a diminished market share in the PC marketplace.

CHAMPAGNE BOTTLE!!!!!!!

Oh, wait……..

I logged in to our Fidelity account today to discover our net worth had jumped by $2M! What?!?!?

They have given us the Apple split shares (multiply by 7), but still with the closing price on Friday!

WOW!

But the extra $2M will vanish at market open on Monday. :(

Still, in the meantime we can enjoy the bump.

Audrey

Last edited:
CHAMPAGNE BOTTLE!!!!!!!

Oh, wait……..

I logged in to our Fidelity account today to discover our net worth had jumped by $2M! What?!?!?

They have given us the Apple split shares (multiply by 7), but still with the closing price on Friday!

WOW!

But the extra $2M will vanish at market open on Monday. :(

Still, in the meantime we can enjoy the bump.

Audrey

Same thing happened to us, except only $1M. Same thing happened when Mastercard split. Easy come, easy go. Sure messes up our net worth graphs on personal capital's website though.

Back
Top Bottom