Join Early Retirement Today

Why Markets are dangerously volatile.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/mark...e-to-stay.html

Article blames machine driven algorithms for volatility, asks why SEC allows. Also blames passive investing for reducing liquidity.

I didn't know they got rid of the Uptick Rule. Bring it back by all means.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Machines also monitor news stories for keywords and initiate buy and sells. Put in a company name and word bankruptcy and things go crazy fast. Saw report on CNBC a while ago about this.happening on company stock that had quick sell off until a person stepped. The story wasn't about the company going bankrupt but one of their suppliers.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems that things like bringing back the uptick rule or tightening margin requirements are too logical for the markets/SEC to enact. The markets make money on volume so anything that slows trading down is not good for them.

Circuit Breakers
The market drops Tuesday and today were only about halfway to achieving a level 1 circuit breaker. I seem to recall this being used once, but I don't think anybody knows if this concept will actually work or it might make things worse.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/con...reakersJSP.jsp
Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
It seems that things like bringing back the uptick rule or tightening margin requirements are too logical for the markets/SEC to enact. The markets make money on volume so anything that slows trading down is not good for them.

Circuit Breakers
The market drops Tuesday and today were only about halfway to achieving a level 1 circuit breaker. I seem to recall this being used once, but I don't think anybody knows if this concept will actually work or it might make things worse.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/con...reakersJSP.jsp
I seem to remember going through a few circuit breakers in the 2000s.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Machines also monitor news stories for keywords and initiate buy and sells. Put in a company name and word bankruptcy and things go crazy fast. Saw report on CNBC a while ago about this.happening on company stock that had quick sell off until a person stepped. The story wasn't about the company going bankrupt but one of their suppliers.
Hmmm... Seems to me this would be an easy way for shortsellers to plant a story, then make beaucoup money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Here's an article on Bloomberg on the subject, although it requires a subscription and I can only guess through its title: "Biggest Worry for Traders? They Don't Know Why Stocks Are Moving".

If machines are buying/selling without a sound reason from fundamental economic changes, then I should be able to make money day trading doing the opposite.

After all, the only reason one should be afraid of buying is when the market goes down and stays down for a long time due to economic condition deteriorating. But if a market rout is due to stupid machines racing each other through the exit door, at some point, they will turn around and execute "buy, buy, buy".

Can it be so simple?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's an article on Bloomberg on the subject, although it requires a subscription and I can only guess through its title: "Biggest Worry for Traders? They Don't Know Why Stocks Are Moving".

If machines are buying/selling without a sound reason from fundamental economic changes, then I should be able to make money day trading doing the opposite.

After all, the only reason one should be afraid of buying is when the market goes down and stays down for a long time due to economic condition deteriorating. But if a market rout is due to stupid machines racing each other through the exit door, at some point, they will turn around and execute "buy, buy, buy".

Can it be so simple?
The people that own and program the machines are there to make money. And I am sure this is not a one time money grab by them.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, they are in it to make money, but if you buy low/sell high, you are making money too. Oui?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a long term investor, I can’t beat computer generated trades or institution traders so just stick with long term goals investing in companies with strong earnings and it's working so far.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, they are in it to make money, but if you buy low/sell high, you are making money too. Oui?
Exactly! Just follow the routine of the machine trades.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm... Seems to me this would be an easy way for shortsellers to plant a story, then make beaucoup money.
I think that one of the main reasons that many are calling for reinstating the uptick rule.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Exactly! Just follow the routine of the machine trades.
If most of the trades are being done by machines, then for every program that buys low/sells high, there's one that buys high/sells low.

Which machines do you say should be followed?

PS. Or perhaps the machines are simultaneously buying with one hand and selling with the other. They do this to confuse and scare the heck out of the humans?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I seem to remember going through a few circuit breakers in the 2000s.
Wow! Not even circuit breakers can stop you!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

High-voltage DC currents are not easily stopped.

I have linked videos of that, but here they are again. Instead of interrupting the circuit, you may create an arc welder right at the breaking contact point.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #15

Quote:
High-voltage DC currents are not easily stopped.

I have linked videos of that, but here they are again. Instead of interrupting the circuit, you may create an arc welder right at the breaking contact point.
Thanks. I watched both of the above videos. It's probably a prudent idea not to try to duplicate those experiments at home.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #16

If a random delay on trades was implemented, the market would be more fair; some of these algorithms depend on millisecond accuracy and randomizing timing just a little would sideline these techniques that make the market jittery.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

That circuit breaker is a good demonstration of V = L dI/dt

If you change a sizable amount of current (I) in a small amount of time (t) the voltage must increase across the wire (with inductance L)

You can get thousands of volts by rapidly interrupting a very large DC current being sustained by a relatively modest voltage source. This in turn ionizes the air across the broken connection and can in some cases re-establish current flow with a nice hot arc.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It is more than that. The "V = L dI/dt" applies for interrupting an AC current too, unless you have an electronic switch that can turn off right at a zero crossing.

Yet, if we use the same common wall switch that is in every home to turn off a 120VDC circuit feeding the same incandescent lightbulb, the wall switch will burn up like the circuit breaker in the youtube demo.

What happens is that AC contact breaking creates an arc just like a DC circuit does. However, the arc tends to extinguish itself when the AC current reverses at the zero crossings. A DC arc can keep itself going.

The DC voltage that can sustain an arc depends on the current of the circuit. This is a subject in itself, but I have found that below about 80V the danger is reduced. That's why we do not have problems with car voltages at 12V, although the current through the starter is in the 100A's. Even aircraft voltage of 28VDC is still safe. Higher than that, and if you have an intermittent connection, it will burn a lot more readily than the same poor contact for the usual AC household voltage which is yet a lot higher.

In short, an arc can sustain itself at a much lower voltage and current in a DC circuit than in an AC circuit.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think the volatility is caused more by Geopolitical uncertainty rather than rising interest rates, which are not really high by any means. Yes the stock market has been spoilt over the years of next to zero rates, but it really cannot be maintained, and it knows it. It is well known that what the market fears most above all is uncertainty. It will probably be like this for another couple of years until things hopefully settle down. JMHO
Old 12-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #20
gone traveling

When volatile, which times aren't markets dangerous?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote