Join Early Retirement Today

Why you should be financially conservative
Old 11-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
gone traveling

Why you should be financially conservative

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ket-volatility

Wiped-Out Hedge Fund Manager Confessed His Losses on YouTube

davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I heard about this situation gas vs oil, but it seemed really remote.
Seeing this fellow talk, really put a human perspective on it.
Although he is sad, I'm sure some of his clients are even more sad (desperate now?), as some had margin accounts.
So they lost not only their entire investment, but also the margin borrowed, guessing this could almost double their lost money..
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone know how much he lost?
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read $150M.
"One client told the Journal that he had $470,000 invested in the fund. Three days later, he now owes $150,000 to its clearing firm"

others have commented on the irony of a guy telling you his bets wiped you out
while he's wearing a rolex.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

So this dude just shut down shop. Will be interesting to see, but this dude talks like he's gonna jump off a bridge or into a prison jump suit.

Rougue wave. LMAO! It's called over levereged, under-diversified to the hilt?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

Lol, naked call options on natural gas, that 'aint no rogue wave, that's just dumb (insert) gamblin'.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
...this dude talks like he's gonna jump off a bridge ...

I was nervous that it might end violently.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I was nervous that it might end violently.
Holy crap! Sure sounds like something could go very wrong.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

Sounds like a suicide letter to say "good bye."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #10

He drinks wine for breakfast?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #11

I'm a sceptic. It sounds like he's trying to personalize it so his clients don't come down too hard on him. He says toward the end of the video that the office personnel (and he names each one) will answer their questions but doesn't say that he'll be available. By the way, you can't look for a "rogue wave", they are unexpected.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

And I thought that my net worth had a bad week this week.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #13

Well hopefully only people who could afford to lose what they invested, invested with this guy. Certainly makes index funds look like a Great idea.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

That's the problem with the Hedge Funds which employ leveraged risky investments chasing Alpha.
The most successful hedge funds which we dealt with at work were the "Long/Short" strategies employing computerized trading strategies.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Did he sell unhedged naked calls?

That seemed to be what he was alluding to.

Market losses can be awful, and it sounds like his might have been.

Ha
Old 11-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Well hopefully only people who could afford to lose what they invested, invested with this guy.
The minimum investment was $250K so you would certainly like to think so.
They specifically targeted "high net worth investors" but looking at their website a year ago they made it sound pretty safe:
Quote:
If you are a high net worth investor, preserving and growing your wealth is likely a high priority for you. You worked hard for your money. Now you feel it should be working hard for you.

But chasing maximum return and yield is hard, isn’t it? Stocks are great, until they aren’t. Getting responsibly diversified is more difficult than ever. Hedge funds can work, but you’re never really sure what they’re doing with your money. Options can be a great alternative, but most make the mistake of buying them. Stock option sellers may think they’ve found an answer, but premiums can be small, and margin requirements huge.

Most will simply give up and settle for what they get. The market will decide their fate – it goes up, they will feel good. If it goes down, they will feel bad. However, if you always felt there was a smarter way to invest and all you had to do was find it, you may finally be home.
Still, those HNW investors were asked to trust them completely:
Quote:
We do not offer “self directed” accounts nor do we offer “discount” rates. There are plenty of places that offer that service if that is what you are after. What you will get here is a managed portfolio that sells deep out of the money options over a basket of meticulously researched, diversified commodities markets.

Your account is monitored and managed full time – directly by us – primarily James Cordier himself. Action is taken in the account if a new opportunity presents itself or a risk parameter is triggered. There is no action required on your part except to watch your account (if you like) and participate in a periodic progress evaluation and update. At the same time, you maintain ultimate control over your account and can direct us to start/stop or alter your trading plan at any time.
It all worked until it didn't.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #17

I feel sorry for his clients.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I read $150M.
"One client told the Journal that he had $470,000 invested in the fund. Three days later, he now owes $150,000 to its clearing firm"

others have commented on the irony of a guy telling you his bets wiped you out
while he's wearing a rolex.
That was my thought. Seemed very contrite in his nice suit, leather chair, and Rolex.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #19

Could someone explain to me what happened? Sometimes I think I understand stuff and other times I think not so much.

I don't know how it happens, but did he lose all the money the clients' money and even more? How does that happen when he says he's diversified?

Sure makes me thankful to have learned from Mr. Bogle and Buffett.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Could someone explain to me what happened? Sometimes I think I understand stuff and other times I think not so much.

I don't know how it happens, but did he lose all the money the clients' money and even more? How does that happen when he says he's diversified?

Sure makes me thankful to have learned from Mr. Bogle and Buffett.
He was using some sort of leveraged investment, and he bet the wrong way. Sounds like he basically took a very risky bet, and used borrowed to do it. So you end up not only losing the entire bet, but still on the hook to repay the borrowed money. Bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Lol, naked call options on natural gas, that 'aint no rogue wave, that's just dumb (insert) gamblin'.
Our favorite stock-picker-contest-player should tuck that 'rogue wave' comment away for his next excuse!

Yep, a "pro" should understand exactly how much risk he's taking, no way should he ever get wiped out. Had the bet gone his way, he would be bragging that he is a genius!

I recall, long ago on another investing forum, some people were fans of option trading, because used correctly, you could know exactly your maximum loss. Of course, you might have so many losses in a row that you still got hurt bad, there is no magic bullet. But this guy was just playing with fire in a gunpowder factory.

Here's an interesting title from one of his posts at Seeking Alpha:

"Option Selling Opportunities So Good They're Scary" - well, he was right about the 'scary' part!

Holy Cow - this was posted just a few weeks ago!

https://seekingalpha.com/article/421...ies-good-scary

And:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/a-ri...fessional.html

Quote:
James Cordier had piled into a risky position in natural gas derivatives without hedging to prevent steep losses, and when natural gas spiked 18 percent last week, the losses mounted.

OptionSellers sent customers an email entitled "Catastrophic Loss Event" saying that all their money was lost, and they could owe even more to another firm to cover margin calls.

Jason Albin, a lawyer in Ohio, says he has talked to several OptionSellers clients who are retirees and have lost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars.

Wow, and 18% change in the price of NG wiped him out!? That's some serious leverage.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commodities, options trading