Will the Market be UP or Down at the Close Monday 12-24-2018?

Will the Market be UP or Down at the Close Monday 12-24-2018?

• Up

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Down

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • No Real Change From Friday

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters

FOX Business news said this is the worst December since 1931.

But, a down market also means tax write-offs.

Good thing it closed early for Christmas eve.

I put in an order last night to rebalance from bonds to stocks. It's a Vanguard mutual fund trade, so it will execute at the close today. Maybe I'll need to rebalance again tomorrow. :)

Yeah, me too. We got our stuff even cheaper than we thought. I've used most of my dry powder until some CDs mature in April. Hopefully I won't need it.

Should we dare to predict Wednesday? I think up, but I could be wrong again... I am sure a lot of buys were triggered today.

Well I was wrong! That was a very spectacular sell-off.

I started my rebalancing today - partial. I just have so much to buy into equities decided to do some this year at least to make up for lots of paid out distributions.

Well, that was "FUN"!

But I did what I planned and continued my liquidation of equities over the last two weeks. Early today I dumped my remaining ETF's and one MF at VG. I also dumped one ETF and individual stock in my Schwab account. This was all in the scope of freeing up cash for whenever this market drop decides to reverse.

At or near that point, i will buy back in an get my equities up to 30%. At my age, I must view our remaining years as ones for capital preservation. Since we have been taking RMD's for 5+ years, we need to minimize risks.

Honestly, this to me looks like an engineered selloff that may take a few years to reverse given the state of the issues here in the U.S. and abroad.

I was SO wrong. :LOL: I thought it would stay the same today.

OK, well, we have been expecting this for at least 9 years so by now we are surely ready for it. I even had this new avatar prepared for this eventuality. :)

I'm still not rebalancing until after the new year. The market might go down even further between now and then.

Well i predicted 400 down today, so I was wrong in a not good sort of way.

For Wednesday, let's say down again, but no more than 200, which will seem like a "good" day.

Would suggest not to be fooled that we are bottoming yet though, knife still falling until a certain someone quits the more childish Fed bashing tweeting (and I'm normally a fan but not on this topic) or those funds that are selling based on algorithms get done selling, if they ever do. If those two things don get better soon, we need to wait for earnings reports to hopefully right the ship, as the fundamentals are still good but no one is noticing as there is too much noise and panic.

OK, well, we have been expecting this for at least 9 years so by now we are surely ready for it. I even had this new avatar prepared for this eventuality. :)

I'm still not rebalancing until after the new year. The market might go down even further between now and then.

Same here. I rebalance on my own schedule :popcorn:. That's the foundation of my, gulp ... strategy.

+1

I do feel sorry for those not prepared, unfortunately may well turn off more young folk from investing.

Concur, not re-balancing just yet either

Same here. I rebalance on my own schedule :popcorn:. That's the foundation of my, gulp ... strategy.

Me too (gulp!)

Half of me is: :popcorn:
And the other half of me is just not looking and pretending it isn't happening, not on Christmas Eve my goodness!!! :eek: "I SEE NOTHING...." :2funny:

I have a gut feeling this ain't over, that it's gonna trigger a lot of nervous investors to try and control the hemorrhaging they perceive this to be to their savings.

I remember as a young investor, these are the dollars earned by hard work, sweat and sacrifice. Now as an older investor, this is just a return of profits I made on paper years ago and expected to see fluctuate and no where near my capital investment dollars. Not yet anyways.

+1

I do feel sorry for those not prepared, unfortunately may well turn off more young folk from investing.

Concur, not re-balancing just yet either
My thoughts are that if the "investment ship" is sinking, so to speak, then it's every man for himself. Or woman, you know what I mean. Younger people need to figure out things for themselves and surely will no matter what we say. You know, many of them think older people are all idiots anyway.

If things get really bad then all of us, whether young or old, will mostly just be looking out for #1.

My Guess

Dow 22,200
S&P 2,310
Nasdaq 5,700

:2funny:

Actual

............Guess.......Actual..............%

Dow......22,200.... 21792....off by 1%
S & P...... 2,310......2351....off by 1%
Nasdaq....5,700......5899....off by 3%

My thoughts are that if the "investment ship" is sinking, so to speak, then it's every man for himself. Or woman, you know what I mean. Younger people need to figure out things for themselves and surely will no matter what we say. You know, many of them think older people are all idiots anyway.

If things get really bad then all of us, whether young or old, will mostly just be looking out for #1.

all true and I speak as someone who has for the most part had to always look out for herself, even as a child

However, it doesnt stop me, like skipro33, for feeling some sympathy for those who do not yet have the experience to form the perspective on things that us old farts have :)

I also want their money in the market to keep liquidity up and keep them slaving away in the workforce to pay for my SS, so want em happy not sad:LOL:

Feels like we're approaching a nice time to convert more to Roth.

I did our Roth conversion last week, with 27K going from stocks to cash reserves for rebalancing, so I was sure it would go up today. Didn't. Phew!

ZfZWQtY.png

Last edited:
I was not hoping it would be a down day. But if we are going to touch bear market I want it to get there. Not be down 19.2% so the talking heads can say Bull Market still in effect...10 years and counting without a bear market.

It's all up from here folks.....errr sideways?

I was not hoping it would be a down day. But if we are going to touch bear market I want it to get there. Not be down 19.2% so the talking heads can say Bull Market still in effect...10 years and counting without a bear market.

It's all up from here folks.....errr sideways?

My sentiments exactly in some prior posts. Now the Dow is left.

DOW Futures down 75 as of 10:37 pm today

to put a positive spin on it, this is much less percentage wise than the Asian markets were down today

I still think we have at least a few weeks to go to hit bottom, if not longer, but would like to be wrong of course

Back
Top Bottom