Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The most colorful characters are around the craps tables (just go to where the yelling is coming from).
I always enjoyed sitting at the blackjack tables closest to the "scantily clad customers only" nightclub entrance.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #22
Administrator

You used to be able to get a nice room for a good price at the Monte Carlo. I looked at rates there recently in planning a cross country trip and I can't stomach to pay the prices they are charging these days (I guess demand is still out pacing supply). If we go for a night or two, will be looking at places off the strip and checking prices on www.mobissimo.com and Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com and possibly risking it on Priceline. I think they bulk sell so many rooms on packages that looking for them a la carte is often a more expensive option.

Have a fun trip!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:19 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
If you are not a gambler, you will get bored after a couple of days in Vegas. Consider renting a car and going to some of the beautiful sites not to far away... east Grand Canyon, Sedona, Bryce Canyon, Zion or go west to Death Valley, Tahoe....
IMO Hover Dam is not to be missed. Also, Tahoe is quite a hike from Las Vegas!

Ha
Old 09-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IMO Hover Dam is not to be missed. Also, Tahoe is quite a hike from Las Vegas!

Ha

Yup. Hoover Dam is interesting... especially for those with an engineering bend.

Driving out there can cover a lot of territory. One needs to pick a few stops if other sites are to be visited... otherwise they would be driving too much.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The wife and I have been there a few times over the years. Las Vegas used to have great values on the strip for rooms and (buffet) restaurants. Over the last few years Las Vegas has gotten really pricey for the hotels in the center part (ie best part) of the strip. The food and service and much better than before but the prices reflect that. However their prices are consistent with other 4 or 5 star hotels that you'll find anywhere in the country.

My advice is to pay the price and stay in one of the 4-star hotels on the center strip. In many ways you do get what you pay for. Sure you can find some beater hotel, with dog-food chow restaurants away from everything that is cheap. But is that how you want to spend your vacation? Some of those off-strip hotels or North Strip hotels can be kind of depressing. Ditto for downtown Las Vegas.

The other thing about Las Vegas is it's a place to get out and walk around. So pick a hotel in a good location that you can use as a base to visit the other hotels. Sure you can get a hotel far away and drive over but it's not the same.

One thing to know about Las Vegas, if it hasn't already been posted, is that the rooms almost always sell out over the weekends with people doing the weekend get-away. So what happens is that room prices triple on the weekends and food prices in some of the restaurants also go up. The time to go to Las Vegas is during the week days. There will be fewer crowds and prices will be much better.

I concur with the Priceline recommendation. I have used them a number of times (though not in Las Vegas) and have always been happy with the results. Don't expect to get the Presidential suite though through Priceline. You'll get a clean room in the hotel usually with a view of the Parking lot or something like that. If a view is important to you ask for the upgrade when you check in. Often for just a few extra dollars you can upgrade to a "view" room. But there is no guarantee.

here is a website that I believe has the pulse of Las Vegas down and fits my "quality-on-the cheap" personality.

Cheapo Vegas
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Grew up there on Nellis AFB. Went back recently; it doesn't look anything like when I was there.

Anyway, we drove through on a whim and stayed the night during mid-week. The Paris gave us a king with a view and two bathrooms for $60.

If you're there and not in it for the gambling, then check out the Hoover Dam (make absolutely sure you go on the full tour where they take you down), Red Rock Canyon, and Valley of Fire. You could stop at Lake Meade when you're done with the Hoover.

If you stay on Nellis, you might get a chance to see the Thunderbirds practice (they're still stationed there, right?). I actually liked going to the Blue Angel shows more simply because we saw the Birds every day.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

I am not a gambler, but love the shows, love the food, and love to hike Red Rock Canyon. I have stayed in the MGM, the Paris, and the Bellagio. Loved each one of them at the time I was there. Food was expensive, but good (awesome buffet at the Bellaggio) and it is much cheaper at lunch than dinner (eat an early 4:30 dinner and it is much cheaper).
Also, if you enjoy hiking, you can hike Red Rock Canyon on your own, or I found a wonderful guide at Hike This! Las Vegas - Guided Hiking in Southern Nevada. He took me to places I would never have found, and pointed out features of Red Rock Canyon that I would not known.
Hoover Dam is a must see, but get there early before all of the tour buses show up. Fountains at the Bellaggio are worth seeing, as are the shops in Caesars Forum, and the shops in the Venetian.
It is a fun town, you can find fun places to go and do if you look for them.
TheRib is offline   Reply With Quote