2023 Travel Plans?

explanade

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm tracking some flights for next year.

Some better fares compared to this year, at least in international business class. Of course you'd have to book 7-11 months out to lock in some of those prices.

Some airlines got rid of change fees. But I doubt they will be issuing outright refunds, more like travel credit and if you use that credit to rebook you'd pay the fare difference.

I'm leery about locking in now because we don't know what things will be like next year, starting in January.

There could be another big winter wave and countries may restrict entry of foreign tourists again.

Or for that matter, I could catch covid and would be unable to travel.

Have an upcoming trip, my first since BA.5 has really taken hold. I think cases are declining in the US and Europe now but other countries are not as fortunate.

So after returning from the remaining trips for this year, I may not have quite the same enthusiasm to start early planning for more.

Anyone else looking around for next year?

After getting Covid in Ireland after not traveling for almost 3 years I am waiting until 2024.

I don't travel for fun, as you all probably know. But I'm even feeling quite averse to the idea of another hurricane evacuation (since I got the delta variant of covid during our Hurricane Ida evacuation, last September, in Arkansas). I just never want to go back into an ICU far from home.

On the other hand, if a hurricane threatens, then I really need to stop being so stupid and grow up. :banghead:

We went out on a limb and have booked a 5 week trip in April. A transatlantic cruise to Rome, a week in Italy, and then another transatlantic cruise back to the US.

It's unlike anything we've ever done before and will be our first big trip with both of us retired.

Our dog and two cats all died within the last year, so we decided to travel before we take on any new responsibilities. We are flying to Amsterdam the first of September and taking a month to work our way through France and Spain. Flying out of Madrid in early October, with tickets to a James Taylor concert in Barcelona in the middle.

Six weeks in Europe, first to do 225 miles of the Camino Frances, which will take us 18 days, plus three layover days to sightsee along the way, ending in Santiago. We plan to isolate the 10 days prior, meaning, primarily, no indoor activities with other people.

From Spain we'll travel by plane to Berlin for a week, then travel by train to our DD & family in S . Germany. From there, our SIL will drive us all to Venice to board a ship for a one week Greek Isles cruise, our treat. If pre-cruise testing is still in place, that will be the most stressful part of the trip in that there are six of us that will need to test negative before we can hit the road for the cruise. We'll have COVID-specific travel insurance, so the biggest risk will not be financial, but rather a disappointed group of people. We'll hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Otherwise, we have a two week cruise to the S. Caribbean, and lots of RV trips planned around the West Coast to hike, bike, and seek out good local eats.

Last edited:
Tahiti in March, Northern Europe in June/July, New Zealand in October. Not booking too far out though to see how covid plays out.

Six weeks in Europe, first to do 225 miles of the Camino Frances, which will take us 18 days, plus three layover days to sightsee along the way, ending in Santiago. We plan to isolate the 10 days prior, meaning, primarily, no indoor activities with other people.

From Spain we'll travel by plane to Berlin for a week, then travel by train to our DD & family in S . Germany. From there, our SIL will drive us all to Venice to board a ship for a one week Greek Isles cruise, our treat. If pre-cruise testing is still in place, that will be the most stressful part of the trip in that there are six of us that will need to test negative before we can hit the road for the cruise. We'll have COVID-specific travel insurance, so the biggest risk will not be financial, but rather a disappointed group of people. We'll hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

We were in Berlin 10/21, and enjoyed it somewhat. Not our favorite large European, however. Found the museums on Museum Island to be a little disappointing even. But it's an important city to see.

We took a long weekend side trip to Dresden and absolutely loved the place. It's the real Germany, and was maybe the most beautiful city in Europe prior to the end of WWII when Allied bombers tried to level the city. We will be going back to Saxony region.

Then we flew to London 6/2022 for a few days before flying to Athens to catch a cruise around the Greek Islands, Croatia and Montenegro. We ended the cruise in Ravenna and took a train up to Venice. Loved the cruise--and seeing Venice for probably my 10th time.

Don't get so into COVID that you cannot enjoy your trip. By the time you get there, the cruise lines will have quit all the pre boarding testing. Things are normalizing in Europe like they are here in the U.S. The only time we were checked for vaccines was in Berlin in October going into a sit down restaurant. We did get COVID tested in London prior to returning home, and the U.S. government quit checking COVID tests 10 days later.

Five day Eastern Caribbean cruise in February, with two of my favorite girlfriends. I have not been on a cruise for a long time, so I am very excited. I love to cruise.

Our Florida vacation for Feb. is booked and the kids and Grandkids are coming, which always makes it fun (and expensive).

We were in Berlin 10/21, and enjoyed it somewhat. Not our favorite large European, however. Found the museums on Museum Island to be a little disappointing even. But it's an important city to see.

We took a long weekend side trip to Dresden and absolutely loved the place. It's the real Germany, and was maybe the most beautiful city in Europe prior to the end of WWII when Allied bombers tried to level the city. We will be going back to Saxony region.

Then we flew to London 6/2022 for a few days before flying to Athens to catch a cruise around the Greek Islands, Croatia and Montenegro. We ended the cruise in Ravenna and took a train up to Venice. Loved the cruise--and seeing Venice for probably my 10th time.

Don't get so into COVID that you cannot enjoy your trip. By the time you get there, the cruise lines will have quit all the pre boarding testing. Things are normalizing in Europe like they are here in the U.S. The only time we were checked for vaccines was in Berlin in October going into a sit down restaurant. We did get COVID tested in London prior to returning home, and the U.S. government quit checking COVID tests 10 days later.

Ironically, COVID flight disruptions are our main reason for landing on Berlin- it is one of the few direct non-Spain flights from Santiago, minimizing potential flight disruptions, and it has a direct train to where our DD lives, minimizing transportation stress.

We've done a lot of Germany and it's WWII history on prior visits, plus it's overall history in general, but this would be our first deep dive into their post-WWII communist history, which we are much interested in. I did a quick Google Maps directional between Berlin and Dresden, however, and it looks to be just a two hour trip by train, so very do-able as a day trip from Berlin, thank you much for the recommendation.

Mazatlan for February and March. I’m trading the adventure of flying for the adventure of driving. Have traveled extensively in Mexico but first time to Mazatlan.

A little over a week/February with Road Scholar, "Cooking in Tuscany." We'll probably tack some independent travel on one end or the other. We've sort of written off Rome due to the tourist crowding horror stories, but maybe we'll chance it in winter.

No firm plans yet but we've booked flights - Spain for 3 weeks in May and South Africa for a month in June. I welcome suggestions for Johannesburg and Capetown.

DW tested positive a couple of days after our return from Scotland in May and I followed a couple of days after that. Luckily we tested negative before our return flight.

I have been to Rome twice in February and the crowds weren’t bad at all. There’s so much to see and do.

Nothing yet for 2023, but are beginning to plan a trip to Hawaii and bringing kids/grandkids in 2024.
Too early to start that thread! lol

2023 Travel is set....

Spring....To Machu Pichu, Peru for 5 days and then boarding a 17 night cruise from Santiago, Chile back to Ft Lauderdale

Fall.....Trans Pacific Cruise from Seattle to Japan and then spend 5 days in Japan

(First time visits on both trips and traveling on our favorite cruise line....Holland America Line)

Which month are you doing your hike? I am so wanting to do this some day....

Getting excited about 2023. Two weeks in Breckenridge in January, two weeks in California in Feb followed by two weeks in Cabo. We really would like to get to Portugal and Spain during the summer. Need to get planning!

Northern Spain normally gets a lot of rain, little sun, except in July and August and still then, it's not Andalusia.

But with the drought, who knows, maybe it will be hotter and sunnier.

I am going to Death Valley.

Attachments

• 20+Hot-1s-2124717565.jpg
    20+Hot-1s-2124717565.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 27
  • th-3576585568.jpg
    th-3576585568.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 26
  • road-sign-death-valley-warning-travelers-caution-extreme-heat-danger-38617073-668018511.jpg
    road-sign-death-valley-warning-travelers-caution-extreme-heat-danger-38617073-668018511.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 27
  • th-2253579846.jpg
    th-2253579846.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 30
  • snowremove.jpg
    snowremove.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Prague/Vienna in October. UK in April/May. Somewhere warm in early February.

Northern Spain normally gets a lot of rain, little sun, except in July and August and still then, it's not Andalusia.

But with the drought, who knows, maybe it will be hotter and sunnier.

Just returned from 1 month in Andalusia, 1 month in Portugal and 1 month in Northern Spain (July) and yes, Galicia and Basque was dry and hot. Didn’t expect it so didn’t check if our Airbnb had AC….ended up buying a fan and took it along with us!

Planning for 3 months Philippines and 1 month in Japan, leaving January 2023.

Get trip insurance in case you have to cancel but won’t hurt planning for it now, then decide when you are comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom