2024 Travel Plans

Great post. Morocco wasn't on our bucket list at all. I found uber-cheap flights to Casablanca return and DW actually said "why not?" When it was over we both agreed that it was one of our favorite trips. A very interesting country with a fascinating history. We booked a couple of day trips and a 12 day tour and felt that our guides added tremendous value. You have an escape plan, we hedged our bet.

Portugal is one of our first repeats (except Mexico). Porto for 5 days next months and Madeira and the Algarve for 2 weeks Jan 2025. Booked flight to Sri Lanka for March 2025 and am considering adding Borneo to that trip. Still looking for flights back to the U.S. I like to have long-haul tix booked in advance. Admire your adventuous spirit.

That is how we originally booked air to Morocco. On my list, airfare came up, and it was why not.

We did the exact same with our first post retirement winter trip. January came we had no firm plans. It was cold, snowy...then an incredible air offer to Thailand popped up. DW was not certain. Booked in 10 minutes, were gone six days later. DW liked it so much that Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia subsequently became her first choice for our 2 month winter sojurns! Five winters, hoping to make next winter our 6th.

Was going to go all independent in Morocco for one month. Just today booked an 8 day tour to the desert areas. That was the part that I was struggling with. The rest is downhill for us, no need for a back up. Excellent rail, good bus transpo routes so we are set to go.

Portugal is a favourite of ours. Madeira very different. In the Algarve we liked Lagos, Tavira, and Faro. This was the first Portugal trip that we did not rent a car.

We did rail. IF you are considering rail then register on line at cp.pt for half price senior fares! Rail service is excellent in Portugal.

Last edited:
We've wanted to go to Thailand for years but have just never pulled the trigger. I think it's because we just don't know that much about it. Do we stay inland or on the coast? What's the best time of year to go? What cities should we consider,etc. I would hate to fly half way around the globe and find out I made a major mistake on when and where.

We've wanted to go to Thailand for years but have just never pulled the trigger. I think it's because we just don't know that much about it. Do we stay inland or on the coast? What's the best time of year to go? What cities should we consider,etc. I would hate to fly half way around the globe and find out I made a major mistake on when and where.

There are many YouTube videos about traveling to Thailand. Many opportunities to get an amazing experience. My SIL is from Thailand. Her/Dh, kids go there often to different resorts etc. Other than the flight over, it's inexpensive compared to other countries. Research online and talk to travel agents.

My DW was not too keen to go but we picked up an inexpensive flight one January. A week later we were in Bangkok with four nights booked. The rest we did spontaneously. Same for the next few winters. We usually travel mid Jan-Mid/late March. THe one time you need to be aware of is Lunar New Year. It can be a busy two week period that may require reservations depending on where you are.

Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia quickly became her favourite winter trips and next winter will hopefully be our sixth winter. We typically make our way south to Malaysia each trip. We included a month in Vietnam and ten days in Cambodia on one trip and we plan to return.

The weather is perfect. Warm, sunny. We spend most of our time on the coasts. Plus time on the smaller islands. We avoid the tourist areas of Phuket and Ko Samui.

Very easy to get around. Low cost air, bus, some rail, mini buses, ferry, and boats.

The people are incredibly friendly and helpful. Food is wonderful.

Pick up a few guide books at the library and read through them. We never use a TA.

Last edited:
Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia quickly became her favourite winter trips and next winter will hopefully be our sixth winter. We typically make our way south to Malaysia each trip. We included a month in Vietnam and ten days in Cambodia on one trip and we plan to return.

Brett, Vietnam is on my bucket list of places to visit. I would love to hear your recommendations of where to go and what to see.:):)

We entered Vietnam overland after our stay in Cambodia. We spent time the island of Phu Quok. Oddly enought the first person we encountered at our small resort was a gentleman from our previous home town of Vancouver, Canada.

After that a homestay in Mekong (flew to Can Tho), then Saigon, flew to Da Lat (less expensive than the bus!), Hoi An, Nha Trang, Hue, Hanoi/Halong Bay.

We had a 30 day visa. We were in the country for 29 days.

Enjoyed every minute. It was all good.

Would we return..absolutely. My impression was/is that Viet Nam is changing quickly. Don't wait. Best for you to pick up a guide book like Lonely Planet and see what areas are of interest to you.

We hope to go back. Want to visit Sapa next time. Ran out of time last trip.

Don't wait!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom