4 Years of FIRE & Perpetual Travel/Nomad Life

Did you fly or take local buses when traveling Vietnam? I'm considering it but SWF here so not sure if I'd be comfortable or not. If you didn't have DH along, would you be fine with solo travel there?

I'll be working in India for a few months so I guess I'll get to find out the easy way there!
KimL, we took no buses in Vietnam. We flew and took the coastal train from Ho Chi Min City/Saigon towards Hanoi stopping for several days/week each in Nha Trang, Hoi An (loved it), and Hue (loved it), then flew from Hue to Hanoi. The train travel along the coast was scenic, albeit the train was old. We booked a quad with 2 bunkbeds, even tho we rode during the day. It was comfy to lay on the bed and watch the scenery go by with a few really scenic coastline areas. BUT, we were lucky with midweek rides and had no one else join our cabin. I heard weekends and local holidays are more crowded with locals visiting family. Another couple we met just booked the extra beds in their quad.

Not sure if you would be comfortable, as I assume anyone of either sex could end up.in your cabin. We chose the private rooms over a hard bench seat, but you could go that route and not take a chance on creepy cabin mates, esp for short stretches.

You will absolutely be fine flying. We used plenty of discount airlines with no problems whatsoever. We never took buses there, but met lots of backpackers who did, and some were women traveling alone.

We took several overnight buses in Thailand, and really liked them. We only took "1st class" buses there, which were just a few bucks more than regular. Lots of other westerners traveling and backpacking, and the seats were like business class seats on planes, but not lie flat. Lots of recline and a footrest. They even had a stewardess hand out snacks and water. Definitely nothing like greyhound, which I rode as a college student back in the day! If the long range buses are similar in Vietnam, you would be fine. I would bet they are better than the ones in India!

Did you fly or take local buses when traveling Vietnam? I'm considering it but SWF here so not sure if I'd be comfortable or not. If you didn't have DH along, would you be fine with solo travel there?

I'll be working in India for a few months so I guess I'll get to find out the easy way there!
KimL, and Yes, I would be fine with solo travel in Vietnam without DH. Absolutely, with the exception of I probably would not have booked a bunk in a quad cabin on the train. You are likely to meet loads of other travelers from Australia, Europe, etc. All of them will be happy to share tips and tricks, recommendations and directions. Lots of other travelers everywhere we went there, including many solo women. Most were younger, but we met other more "senior" ones as well. The locals will also try hard to help you if you need it. Go for it!

We use T-Mobile for cell service. We have never tried to track each others location before, but there is probably an app for that, or maybe you could use one of the "find my phone" features. Not sure.

FWIW, we use wifi when we can to not abuse the unlimited data, and also download maps of areas we are heading to next while on wifi for offline use once we get there. Then even if offline, the map feature will get your location from the cell tower and give you directions and track your progress, etc. without using data.
Regarding offline mapping and directions (data free) we used the Maps.me app on our travels in Curacao and Bonaire recently. We used no international data due to wifi and this free mapping app.

Back
Top Bottom