Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In our years of travel some of the unhappiest travelers, the biggest moaners/complainers, and the rudest were the ones who expected everything to be the same as home. From food to customs to accommodation. Made us wonder why they bothered to travel.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Why would people expect it to be the same? You travel for a new experience. Luckily we haven’t met many complainers.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
.... the ones who expected everything to be the same as home.
One of the reasons we find accommodations in back alleyways, ride early morning, (preferably old), commuter trains, explore the 'wrong side of the tracks' in cities, etc, etc, is to attempt to observe places as the locals see them.

Being continually surrounded by other tourists is not on our agenda.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Our spreadsheet shows us at exactly $8k/mo average
Cool! My wife and I are divers, and our monthly budget will be about the same. You mentioned that you weren't blown away by the Great Barrier Reef. What were your favorite places to dive?

Mine so far are Maldives, Bali, Wakatobi, Palau, Caymans, and Monterey.
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I just realized that we retired in January 2014, so it's been over 5 years. Somehow what they say is true, "when you're over the hill, you start to pick up speed." Seems like only three.

We tried to sell the house in 2016 without success due to local issues -- small houses sell like hotcakes, not so bigger ones. Since then we've parked an adult kid here to manage things when we're away. At the current time, we're keeping it, as we've owned it for 25 years. Although there's a mortgage, the payment is less than an apartment would be.

We spent three summers in Europe, mostly via pet-sitting. See www.trustedhousesitters.com for info on that. This year we're spending more time at home, but there's an excursion to NZ coming in October, and it's off to Europe again next April. Meanwhile there are cats in Victoria BC and Kona to be minded.

We've done this by spending down savings until recently; I started SS at 69.5 in January, and DW converted from spousal to her own benefit at 68 just this month. We own a small office condo whose mortgage will end next month, so that's like a third SS check. It'll be enough.

Nothing magic about how we got here. We're pretty frugal, and both being self-employed meant that we couldn't take long expensive vacations during our work years. So now it's "go, go, go" until we can't, at which time we'll have to settle for rocking chairs and a terabit Internet connection, I guess.

You can read about the travels at seniorgapyear.wordpress.com

She's a snorkeler, if it matters.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for sharing your exciting retirement. We have traveled across the country 4 times with our RV although for only 2 months at a time. We come home to plan and rest for our next trip. Home is now an 800 square foot house that we can lock and leave. We got rid of most of our stuff when we sold our "family home." Life is pretty good and at 2 bdrms and 1 bath, no room for the kids to move back in!

Keep sharing your adventures with us. We can all learn where we might like to go next from some of your adventures. Safe journeys and fun times for you always.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Cool! My wife and I are divers, and our monthly budget will be about the same. You mentioned that you weren't blown away by the Great Barrier Reef. What were your favorite places to dive?

Mine so far are Maldives, Bali, Wakatobi, Palau, Caymans, and Monterey.
Nondivers, please skip right over this!

We just finished our planning tonight for a 2 week trip to Maldives, incl a 1 wk liveaboard! So happy to hear you liked it!

We also loved Palau. So beautiful! I hope you saw the super friendly Napolean wrase there that like to be "petted". Bali was OK, but we were over by the Liberty wreck. We have done Grand Cayman, but need to get around to the other Caymans. We have not been to Wakatobi, so will have to look into it.

Our favorite pkace so far is Indonesia, specifically Raja Ampat. Really incredible, we thought. We decided not to rough it in a homestay (could not deal with no fresh water showers!) and stayed at the only modern dive resort there, Meridian, and all their boats and equipment were brand new, the dive shop kids were all from South Africa, but all the dive guides and captains were locals who knew that water like the back of their hands. Every dive seemed better than the one before. Komodo was nice too, but the currents in some places were almost too much. That said, you will see some huge mantas there.

For wrecks, there is no comparison to Chuuk/Truk. I think there are over 60 wrecks there from WWII Operation Hailstorm (mainly shipwrecks, but also some planes). It was so eerie diving through huge ships through torpedoes and bomb holes. We dove some of the Japanese wrecks with a Japanese diver, who shared all his uw pics with us. It is their Pearl Harbor, so to speak, so that was interesting. Go sooner rather than later, as some wrecks are still full of fuel and are deteriorating.

Also, we were wowed by Tubbataha Reef in the Philippines, which we had never heard of until we got there. It is really great diving teeming with sharks, and we were arms length of a curious whale shark on one dive. Incredibly clear water and a pristine reef. It is a well protected national park reachable only by liveaboard (too far for any fishermen to ruin) and only open for diving a few months a year. If you go to the Philippines, you have to check it out. It was by random luck that we heard about it at the end of their season and caught the very last liveaboard to go. It was a bit of a rickety old boat, but the diving more than made up for it, esp the whale shark, and all the other liveaboards were gone for the season, so we had the place to ourselves. Did I say dumb luck?

You have already been to some incredible places, but there are even more to enjoy for us all. We are doing a 2 week liveaboard trip to the Red Sea in Egypt in June (from Marsa Alam) , so PM me if you like in July, and I will let you know how it compares.

Happy bubbles!
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
Thanks for sharing your exciting retirement. We have traveled across the country 4 times with our RV although for only 2 months at a time. We come home to plan and rest for our next trip. Home is now an 800 square foot house that we can lock and leave. We got rid of most of our stuff when we sold our "family home." Life is pretty good and at 2 bdrms and 1 bath, no room for the kids to move back in!

Keep sharing your adventures with us. We can all learn where we might like to go next from some of your adventures. Safe journeys and fun times for you always.
Thanks, kimcdoug! I think an 800 square foot retirement home sounds just perfect for when we eventually slow down and want a base. I expect that will happen eventually, and the lock and leave part is "key"! Your RV adventures sound fun, too! There is so much of the U.S. we haven't seen yet, and we would like to one day.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
I just realized that we retired in January 2014, so it's been over 5 years. Somehow what they say is true, "when you're over the hill, you start to pick up speed." Seems like only three.

We tried to sell the house in 2016 without success due to local issues -- small houses sell like hotcakes, not so bigger ones. Since then we've parked an adult kid here to manage things when we're away. At the current time, we're keeping it, as we've owned it for 25 years. Although there's a mortgage, the payment is less than an apartment would be.

We spent three summers in Europe, mostly via pet-sitting. See www.trustedhousesitters.com for info on that. This year we're spending more time at home, but there's an excursion to NZ coming in October, and it's off to Europe again next April. Meanwhile there are cats in Victoria BC and Kona to be minded.

We've done this by spending down savings until recently; I started SS at 69.5 in January, and DW converted from spousal to her own benefit at 68 just this month. We own a small office condo whose mortgage will end next month, so that's like a third SS check. It'll be enough.

Nothing magic about how we got here. We're pretty frugal, and both being self-employed meant that we couldn't take long expensive vacations during our work years. So now it's "go, go, go" until we can't, at which time we'll have to settle for rocking chairs and a terabit Internet connection, I guess.

You can read about the travels at seniorgapyear.wordpress.com

She's a snorkeler, if it matters.
I will check out your site. Retirement does fly by when you're having fun, doesn't it? A catsit in Kona? Hmmm, I do love cats!

While here in Chapala (we're leaving in a few weeks) Billy & Akaisha have introduced us to a single guy and a couple who are separately housesitting successfully in the area. Of course, they know of many others doing it all over like you are. The couple has a permanent 6 month housesit every year here. It is definitely something people should consider if it appeals to them, and it certainly cuts housing costs significantly.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Nondivers, please skip right over this!

We just finished our planning tonight for a 2 week trip to Maldives, incl a 1 wk liveaboard! So happy to hear you liked it!

We also loved Palau. So beautiful! I hope you saw the super friendly Napolean wrase there that like to be "petted". Bali was OK, but we were over by the Liberty wreck. We have done Grand Cayman, but need to get around to the other Caymans. We have not been to Wakatobi, so will have to look into it.

Our favorite pkace so far is Indonesia, specifically Raja Ampat. Really incredible, we thought. We decided not to rough it in a homestay (could not deal with no fresh water showers!) and stayed at the only modern dive resort there, Meridian, and all their boats and equipment were brand new, the dive shop kids were all from South Africa, but all the dive guides and captains were locals who knew that water like the back of their hands. Every dive seemed better than the one before. Komodo was nice too, but the currents in some places were almost too much. That said, you will see some huge mantas there.

For wrecks, there is no comparison to Chuuk/Truk. I think there are over 60 wrecks there from WWII Operation Hailstorm (mainly shipwrecks, but also some planes). It was so eerie diving through huge ships through torpedoes and bomb holes. We dove some of the Japanese wrecks with a Japanese diver, who shared all his uw pics with us. It is their Pearl Harbor, so to speak, so that was interesting. Go sooner rather than later, as some wrecks are still full of fuel and are deteriorating.

Also, we were wowed by Tubbataha Reef in the Philippines, which we had never heard of until we got there. It is really great diving teeming with sharks, and we were arms length of a curious whale shark on one dive. Incredibly clear water and a pristine reef. It is a well protected national park reachable only by liveaboard (too far for any fishermen to ruin) and only open for diving a few months a year. If you go to the Philippines, you have to check it out. It was by random luck that we heard about it at the end of their season and caught the very last liveaboard to go. It was a bit of a rickety old boat, but the diving more than made up for it, esp the whale shark, and all the other liveaboards were gone for the season, so we had the place to ourselves. Did I say dumb luck?

You have already been to some incredible places, but there are even more to enjoy for us all. We are doing a 2 week liveaboard trip to the Red Sea in Egypt in June (from Marsa Alam) , so PM me if you like in July, and I will let you know how it compares.

Happy bubbles!

Thanks for this post. We have considered a liveaboard in Raja Ampat. We spent 2 weeks on Gangga Island in 2015 and really liked the diving there. Maldives is on our bucket list, as is the Tubbataha Reef.

When you did the Great Barrier Reef, did you go out to Osprey Reef and Lizard Island? We are thinking of this but have read a lot about coral bleaching in that area.

Have you ever dove Papau New Guinea? That’s another one we’d like to try. So many places!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Thanks for this post. We have considered a liveaboard in Raja Ampat. We spent 2 weeks on Gangga Island in 2015 and really liked the diving there. Maldives is on our bucket list, as is the Tubbataha Reef.

When you did the Great Barrier Reef, did you go out to Osprey Reef and Lizard Island? We are thinking of this but have read a lot about coral bleaching in that area.

Have you ever dove Papau New Guinea? That’s another one we’d like to try. So many places!
OK, now Gangga Island is on my list. Looks beautiful! I think doing a liveaboard is the best way to do Raja Ampat. We spent a lot of time getting to dive sites from land. We plan to go back there on a liveaboard one day.

We started our GBR liveaboard by flying out to Lizard Island on a puddle jumper to meet the boat. The views of the reef from the plane were to die for. There was alot of bleaching when we were there 2 years ago, and I hear more now. The shallow reef walls we saw looked dead. There were some pretty pinnacles in deeper water. It is a bucket list thing for so many of us, so I would never say don't go, just go as far out as you can, and don't have high expectations. It will pale in comparison with where you have been, I think. Mix it in with seeing other things in Oz and check out NZ, esp the southern island if you can. Beautiful place!

No to Papua New Guinea. DH really wants to go, so still on our list.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #52

Quote:
OK, now Gangga Island is on my list. Looks beautiful! I think doing a liveaboard is the best way to do Raja Ampat. We spent a lot of time getting to dive sites from land. We plan to go back there on a liveaboard one day.

We started our GBR liveaboard by flying out to Lizard Island on a puddle jumper to meet the boat. The views of the reef from the plane were to die for. There was alot of bleaching when we were there 2 years ago, and I hear more now. The shallow reef walls we saw looked dead. There were some pretty pinnacles in deeper water. It is a bucket list thing for so many of us, so I would never say don't go, just go as far out as you can, and don't have high expectations. It will pale in comparison with where you have been, I think. Mix it in with seeing other things in Oz and check out NZ, esp the southern island if you can. Beautiful place!

No to Papua New Guinea. DH really wants to go, so still on our list.

Thanks Diver. Good to have a report from a recent trip. We planned a trip to PNG and Lizard Island years ago, but had to cancel it and never rebooked. Since ER, we considered a “slow travel” trip to Oz, including Lizard Island and Osprey Reef. The diving part is quite expensive so not sure if it’s worth it.

The diving around Gangga Island was really great. What I didn’t love but seems to be common to all resorts in that area of Indonesia is the strong currents at the beach, and all the trash in the ocean. The resort works hard to keep their beaches clean, but due to the currents, trash (shoes, tires, clothing, and food wrappers) is constantly washing up, and none of the resorts in the area provide kayaks, sailboats, etc. to use off the beach because the currents are too strong. After a morning of diving, I love to catch some sun on the beach and enjoy snorkeling or small boats, and that wasn’t possible there. Still, the resort is lovely and the diving was very memorable.

If you haven’t been to Fiji, we loved the diving there. Qamea Resort is very nice. Excellent food, staff, and dive operation.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #53

Quote:

Happy bubbles!
Awesome! I did see some Napoleon wrasse at Blue Corner, but that was back in 1997, and I don't think he wanted to be petted, then. In Bali, we hired an excellent Japanese dive guide, and he showed us things I would have totally missed, including the pygmy sea horses! We did all shore diving in the Tulamben area.
I've also done some great diving in the Okinawan islands (Honto, Ishigaki, Iriomete and the Kerama Islands), Wake Island, Guam, Bahamas (Tiger Beach), Florida Keys, West Palm Beach area of Florida (Blue Heron Bridge, Boynton Beach), Bonaire, and Little Cayman, as well as a couple in Botany Bay, Australia, and most recently, 9 surprisingly good dives in New Zealand (Poor Knights and Coramandel Peninsula). My wife has done a lot of diving in Thailand and the Philippines. Looking forward to progressing through the dive bucket list! Australian fur seals, minke whales, great whites, and a few other big critters remain on my 'critter' bucket list! We are thinking of going to Raja Ampat soon!
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hey Diver. We are planning our own nomadic breakaway in the coming years. Boat in St. Augustine being prepped... At any rate. Doing some research. Have you heard of "Diver Dan" supplement insurance? If so, any opinions or experiences? My understanding is they airlift you back to the US for healthcare if something happens while outside of the US. Doesn't have to be diving related accident or issue.

Most recent example was a US tourist driving on the wrong side of the road in Turks and Caicos (British colony) got into a head on collision. His Diver Dan policy heli-evacuated him to the Ft. Lauderdale hospital for care.

I think the policy is less than $100/yr and it is clearly NOT intended to be a primary policy. It sounds like a nice layer to add to the insurance stack for a nomadic living outside the US.
tn3sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn3sport View Post
Have you heard of "Diver Dan" supplement insurance? If so, any opinions or experiences? My understanding is they airlift you back to the US for healthcare if something happens while outside of the US. Doesn't have to be diving related accident or issue.
The insurance company is DAN (Divers Alert Network). Coverage costs and details can be found here:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/s.../?a=memberinfo

You have to join DAN to get the insurance. The coverage is pretty good. I needed emergency medical treatment, and they covered 100% of my treatment costs not covered by my primary insurance. I never saw an invoice, even though the treatment was likely around $15-20K.

They have a $100K medical evacuation coverage: "DAN Members receive $100,000 of emergency medical evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is valid for diving and nondiving medical emergencies anytime you travel more than 50 miles from home." I'm pretty sure this would only apply during medical emergencies where the local hospitals/clinics couldn't do the treatment, but you can call them to confirm my assumption.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
In our years of travel some of the unhappiest travelers, the biggest moaners/complainers, and the rudest were the ones who expected everything to be the same as home. From food to customs to accommodation. Made us wonder why they bothered to travel.
Some people traveled to south America countries and complained that people there do not speak English.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

^+1. That...and do they take USD in such and such a country?

We. or should I say I am typically planning for two trips when we return home from a winter trip in March. We start thinking about a fall trip and a winter trip. We often have a plan A and a plan B for both, each having some variations along the way. It is a crazy way to do it but that is how it works for us. The past few winters have been to the same area so we may change it up a little this winter.

The final choice usually depends on a combination of what strikes us on that particular day, where DW wants to go, the travel options, and where our point of departure will be. We do have a bucket list but we like to add on other areas where possible. So, if we decide to go to Corfu and the Ionian islands in the fall we will probably fly to Venice. Rent a car, drive down the coast to Bari, and then take a flight to Corfu on a local airline. After than, some islands on the other side, and then perhaps time in Israel because it is so close and easy to get to from Greece. That is an example of how we plan. Not sure of the route home yet.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #58

A very inspiring & helpful Thread
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
A very inspiring & helpful Thread

Agreed
Old 05-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn3sport View Post
Hey Diver. We are planning our own nomadic breakaway in the coming years. Boat in St. Augustine being prepped... At any rate. Doing some research. Have you heard of "Diver Dan" supplement insurance? If so, any opinions or experiences? My understanding is they airlift you back to the US for healthcare if something happens while outside of the US. Doesn't have to be diving related accident or issue.

Most recent example was a US tourist driving on the wrong side of the road in Turks and Caicos (British colony) got into a head on collision. His Diver Dan policy heli-evacuated him to the Ft. Lauderdale hospital for care.

I think the policy is less than $100/yr and it is clearly NOT intended to be a primary policy. It sounds like a nice layer to add to the insurance stack for a nomadic living outside the US.
What HNL Bill said! We do have an annual DAN policy, as we do dive several times a year. I have also heard good things about them taking care of non diving accidents or emergency medical conditions, including airlifting people back to the states for treatment. We plan to keep the annual policy for the foreseeable future. I do consider it a good backup insurance for an emergency medical condition and to get us back home for treatment if necessary, as well as coverage for diving accidents.

Thank you, HNL Bill, for sharing your good experience with DAN. I have read some other great reviews on scuba boards from people that suffered non-diving medical conditions and how well DAN coordinated their care and costly medical evacuation from the Caribbean to Florida. Fingers crossed we never have to use it, but glad to have it! Being divers, we would never go without it simply for their expertise in case of a diving accident.