Join Early Retirement Today

A quick trip in the U.S. before kids go to college
Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A quick trip in the U.S. before kids go to college

Our boy/girl twins have OMY before they head off to college. We have one beach trip planned and one week with relatives out of town. That leaves one more week that I'll be able to take vacation in the next year. We'd like to make it a memorable trip, probably in the states as going out of the country would take up too much of the time for travel.

What are some ideas you might suggest? Thanks to all of you in advance.
beanctr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

What time of year are you planning and have you already visited some spots in the US?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since you've got the beach trip already, what about one of the national parks e.g Grand Canyon? Or somewhere near a large amusement park if they like roller coasters and such.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #4

At that age I didn't particularly want to be dragged by my folks to some vacation spot they chose when I had important hanging out with my friends to do.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We've done New York City, many beaches, the mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee. Would a week be too long in Nashville and Chattanooga? What about San Francisco and/or Seattle for teenagers?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
We've done New York City, many beaches, the mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee. Would a week be too long in Nashville and Chattanooga? What about San Francisco and/or Seattle for teenagers?
I think a whole week would be too long in Nashville and Chattanooga. San Francisco could easily occupy a whole week, as could Seattle. If you've never been to either of those places, I'd highly recommend San Francisco. So much to see and do in the city itself, with some amazing natural scenery, beaches, mountains, and national parks within easy driving distance. I also think SF would please your teenagers more than someplace like Nashville. Nothing against Nashville, of course, just that SF is much "hipper" and more vibrant and multicultural, etc.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

What are they interested in? Is there a sporting event, festival, museum, or activity that could be incorporated as part of the trip that would be exciting for them? A place where they can have some time/activities independent from you would probably make them more amenable to the family activities. So good public transit would be a major plus.

I think if you are looking to create a special family experience at this milestone in their lives, you should involve them in deciding where to go.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

Motor raft down the Grand Canyon....my high school boys loved the trip last year! Our trip included a family from the UK and another from Germany, each with teenagers.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
San Francisco could easily occupy a whole week, as could Seattle. If you've never been to either of those places, I'd highly recommend San Francisco.
+1. We visited both places with our teenagers. Both were "cool" places they were happy to visit.

A Boston - Maine - Vermont - Montreal driving trip can be done in a week. Every day will be interesting and different from the one before. History, a Red Sox game, seashores, lobster shacks, LL Bean, mountains, a border crossing, stores where the clerk speaks little english...lots of good memories from that trip.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, all are relatively close to each other, you can easily see all 3 in a week.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, all are relatively close to each other, you can easily see all 3 in a week.

Zion is very close to Vegas and it's a great park - Google for the Zion " narrows" which is something great to hike thru in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Unless a single destination is important, I might suggest a highway 101 trip from BC to BC (British Columbia to Baja California) or some segment of same. We did it in 8 days which is too fast to spend quality time in any one place. Still, we spent a full day in Seattle, SF and SD. Beautiful scenery if the kids (and adults) are into that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you want memorable, try this out.

Heli-Hiking

We did the one week lodge to lodge trip and I can't say enough about how great the trip was. A little expensive but was well worth it.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #14

Route 66, can be done in less than a week but you may want longer. Our last family 'road trip' when DS was in 1st year of college. Memorable, things just come up to see and do. Maybe they can even drive stretches of it like thru Oatman AZ. They will always be able to tell friends they drove Route 66. A couple years older and its a different trip but now they are young enough to still share the experience with you.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Prepare a list of your ideas and ask them to pick one.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The more we think about it, the more we realize that since the trip is for them, we really do need to let them pick where they want to go. It is probably different than where my wife and I would choose, but we can do that on our own.