Join Early Retirement Today

advice for travel to the Big Island and Kauai
Old 07-24-2022, 12:06 PM   #1

advice for travel to the Big Island and Kauai

Hi all.

I'm currently planning a trip to Hawaii, combining the Big Island and Kauai.

I have a companion pass on Southwest that will be expiring Feb 2023, so I need to travel before then to take advantage of it. It's looking like the best timing for our schedule and the other couple meeting us there will be either the last week of December (over New Year's, just after Christmas) or one of the first two weeks of January.

How many days (not including arrival/departure days) would you recommend on each island? I'm seeing wide variations in recommendations thus far per my online research. FYI, we love nature, so we plan to do multiple short hikes (long hikes are out due to hubby's knee) and are also definitely interested in seeing Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

I also welcome any other advice regarding this trip. Thank you!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2022, 12:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been looking into travel there. We're finding these calendars useful, from www.hawaii-guide.com

2022 https://www.hawaii-guide.com/files/i...ecast-2022.jpg
2023 https://www.hawaii-guide.com/files/i...ecast-2023.jpg

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

In the winter, the surf is big on the north shore. If you're interested in snorkeling check out 2-step south of Kona on the BI and Lawai Beach in Poipu on Kauai.

Kauai has a lot of great hiking but the spectacular stuff is probably too advanced for knee issues. For more moderate, check out Ho'opi'i falls near Kapaa (bring a swim suit) and lots of options in Koke'e park on the west side.

The hike to the the Pu'u O'o vent on the BI near Volcano is pretty flat as I recall. Also, the Kilauea Iki hike is great in this area.

If you like to roam, check out all sides of these islands which have much geographic/cultural diversity. Hit the farmers markets for amazing produce and picnic at local parks for immersion with the locals and experience the Aloha of these beautiful islands.
acronymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #4

My husband and I were just in Kauai in May and on the Big Island in 2017 prior to the most recent significant eruption.

Re: Kauai: we combined Kauai with Maui. We had 4.5 days in Kauai and were pretty busy every day. I would suggest 5 to 6 days especially if you want to do the very popular Kalalau trail. But it sounds like that won't be in the cards for you due to your hubby's knee. Even just doing part of the Kalalau trail requires planning and reservations. We opted to stay in Lihue at the Kauai Inn. Not fancy accommodation but reasonably comfortable and no resort fees. Friendly folks there. You will need a rental car. Weather impacted our travel. Our planned sunset catamaran sail up the Na Pali coast was cancelled due to bad weather. We opted to try a helicopter tour instead two days later but weather prevented it from going up the Na Pali coast too. We did take a commercial tour south and then west to the Waimea Canyon State Park. That took a full day but it was nice to let someone else do the driving. We further explored the south section on our own driving through the Tree Tunnel south to Poipu then along the ocean to the Spouting Horn blow hole. If I were doing that again, I'd opt to reserve a tour of the McBryde and Allerton Gardens that are nearby. We also drove north on our own until the end of the road which is pretty much where the Kalalau Trail starts. Also on the north coast is the Kilauea Lighthouse. Tours there have to be reserved but you can at least get some nice pictures near the park entrance without going in. Foodwise, we ate mostly in Lihue. Liked Duke's, Lilikoi, Rob's Good Times, and KP Italian. Didn't care for Dani's, a breakfast spot where the food was mediocre and the servers a bit surly.

As for the Big Island, we spent 9 nights there, flying in and out of Hilo. Maybe unlike most people, we opted for 5 nights in Hilo, then three nights in Kona and then our last night in Hilo. In Hilo we stayed at Arnotts Lodge in their deluxe suite which was perfect for us - comfortable, friendly folks and inexpensive. We also booked two great tours through them: Mauna Kea Sunset and Stargazing and also the Volcano Twilight Tour. Both were very good. Be aware that Hilo is quite a bit closer to the Volcanoes National Park than is Kona. We enjoyed the Volcano tour so much that we opted to spend more time on our own at the park later on our drive to Kona. That day we hiked the Iki crater which was a nice hike. Not sure if it would be too much for your hubby though. In Kona, we did a helicopter tour that took us over the entire island including over some of the hot sections of lava. The company was Blue Hawaiian; one nice thing about them is they do a video of your tour and it's well worth the extra cost to have that souvenir. Not all helicopter tours have that.We stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Kona. There was a great little Thai restaurant nearby - hope it's still there (Krua Thai I believe)! In Hilo, we enjoyed Cafe Pesto and the Hilo Bay Cafe.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #5

I have only been to the Big Island once, but have been to Kauai 3 times for a week. I have attached the stories of our stays.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KAUAI 2011.pdf (1.24 MB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf KAUAI 2012.pdf (1.78 MB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf KAUAI 2013.pdf (664.7 KB, 12 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #6

One highlight of our stay in Hilo was a trip to the Hawaii Tropical Bioreserve and gardens https://htbg.com/ The site has info on accessibility. When we visited, they had golf carts that would take folks up and down the paved but a bit steep entrance way. I don't see mention of that now. I think your hubby would probably be OK maybe with a cane.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #7

I live on the Big Island just a couple of miles from Two Step. I would second what everyone has said so far.

In HVNP, the Kilauea Iki trail is about 4 miles long. You descend into the crater at one end and climb out at the other. Most of the trail is relatively flat along the bottom of the crater. The start and finish are fairly steep. Only you can judge if it is kneeworthy.

Another good hike is to Mauna Ulu (in HVNP). It is a cinder cone that erupted in the 1970s in spectacular fashion. It has historical significance in that observations during that eruptions helped geologists understand plate tectonics and sealed the deal on that theory. You will want a trail guide to understand some of the features you see but they are free and used to be available at the start. The same goes for Kilauea Iki.

I am still hearing about issues with rental cars. People still arrive with a confirmed reservation only to be told there are no cars available.

January 1 to March 31 is Canadian season. Vacation rentals are mostly booked solid. Hotels will have space but prices are high.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #8

Another suggestion...

It takes about 5 hours to drive around the island. Even with stops as waterfalls and HVNP it can be done in a day. But I would suggest staying 1 or 2 nights in Volcano. I highly recommend the Kilauea Lodge although it changed owners a few years ago and may not be the same. Seeing the volcano at night is really cool and there is currently a lava lake in the caldera.

If you happen to be retired (or active duty) military, Kilauea Military Camp may be a good option for you for lodging.
Old 07-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #9

We've spent a week in Kona on the Big Island about 8 times with family.
1) Don't drive around the island in a day, unless you like that kind of thing. It seems like work to me. We stayed at a B&B in Hilo a few times and we recommend it highly. It is a great place to break up an island circuit.
https://www.halekaihawaii.com/rooms

We liked the Bamboo room the best. The sun comes up out of the sea out that window.
One morning we hear all sorts of laughter and loud talk, and found out that the locals would surf right below us to the right when the waves and tide are right
2) The cross island highway is a good one day over and back if you are based out of the Kona area. You can go to the visitor information station partway up the mountain, we enjoyed that. Beware of high altitude, if you are sensitive to that.
The saddle road tops out at 6765 MSL, and the Onizuka Vistor's Information Station is at 9300 MSL.
https://goo.gl/maps/YzrVtE1KwULFcryZ6
3) Do allow some time for the Kohala. It is mountainous and spectacular.
At the end of the road you find the Pololū Valley Lookout. Before you head back, take a look at the Kēōkea Beach Park. It was nice, big waves to watch and just a chill little park.
4) We enjoyed Waipio Valley. We've done wagon rides, rode ATV's on a trail above to the overlooks, and just enjoyed the history and tragedy of the area. It was devastated by the 1946 tsunami.
Now the valley is closed to all but locals due to slippage and failure of the road down into the valley, but you can still see the overlook.
There is much more to look at so ask away.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
1)Don't drive around the island in a day

4) We enjoyed Waipio Valley...Now the valley is closed to all but locals due to slippage and failure of the road down into the valley, but you can still see the overlook.
I wasn't suggesting driving around the island in a day. Plenty of people do and I was merely pointing out it is possible. I agree with you though, not recommended.

I had heard they were closing Waipio to visitors but I don't know the details. The activity operators have a lot of influence here so it is hard to believe they would shut down all the ATV, horseback, and other activities in Waipio completely.

If you go to Maunakea above the Visitor Center you will need a 4x4 vehicle, not because the road is rough but because they want you to have heavy duty brakes.

Some other things/places that are rarely mentioned but are worth doing are:
(I've organized these counterclockwise around the island starting at Kona Airport)

Ke Kai Ola monk seal hospital in Kona. I'm not sure if they give tours or have a visitor center.

Hawaii Ocean Science and Technology Park near the Kona Airport

Mokuaikaua Church in Kona. Built in 1820 by the first arriving missionaries. It is the oldest church in the Hawaiian Islands (and likely in all of Polynesia)

Hulihe'e Palace in Kona

Birthplace of Kamehameha III in Keauhou

End of the World at the end of Ali'i Drive

In South Kona, coffee farm tours, both working farms and the demonstration farm run by the Kona Historical Society.

Place of Refuge (Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park)

Kahuku unit of HVNP - this is an old ranch that is now part of HVNP. It has several good hiking trails. Admission is free and it is only accessible from the highway on the Kona side near Ocean View

Punalu'u Bake Shop in Naalehu

South Point (Ka Lae) is both the southernmost point in the US and is believed to be where the first Polynesian made landfall on the Hawaiian Islands.

Papakolea Green Sand Beach near South Point. It is about a 4 mile hike in each way but very flat and walking on old dirt roads. Plenty of locals give rides (illegally and for a fee/donation but it is safe) as well and if you do rent a 4x4 for Maunakea you should do fine on that road. By far the worst part is in the first 100 yards. The beach is small but very unique.

Punalu'u Black Sand Beach-too rough most of the time to go in the water but a good place to take a driving break and see turtles

Maunaloa Road

{Volcano is here}

Kazamura lava tube (on private property the guy who owns it is quite a character but gives a decent tour for about $5 a person)

Pahoa - nice little town, kind of hippy

Kaumana Caves

Lyman Museum in Hilo

Mokupapapa Discovery Center - basically a visitor center for Papahanaumokuakea marine national monument in the northwest Hawaiian Islands

Laupahoehoe Train Museum

Laupahoehoe beach park. Monument to victims of a tsunami here in the early 1900s

Kaluakauka - the place where David Douglas, who the Douglas fir is named after, died somewhat mysteriously. Nice short little hike to a monument to Douglas.

Kalopa park - little park with a couple of relatively short trails

Parker Ranch

Hawi - nice little town, kind of artsy

Petroglyphs by the Fairmont Orchid
Old 07-25-2022, 06:40 AM   #11

Thank you so much everyone for all of the wonderful advice and suggestions!

So, I would definitely like to stay several nights on the Hilo side to reduce excessive driving to HVNP. I'm hoping we don't get rained out during the nights we plan to stay on that side of the island. No way to avoid that, though. Just have to roll the dice and hope we have clear weather!

We are meeting up with another couple when we go to Kauai. Ideally, I'd love to find a 2 bdr, 2 bath condo to rent on Kauai. Anyone have any suggestions of developments on Kauai that I should investigate? Sure do hope everything isn't booked up - travel is just crazy to plan any more!

I guess I should make double bookings on our rental car, too, in order to have a back up plan. I did read though that you have a better chance of success if you book your car through Costco, as the rental agencies are less likely to alieniate their customers since they represent a big chunk of their business. So, I will be investigating that option.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:42 AM   #12

Another question:

We will be landing on the Big Island (Kona) on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. Suggestions for special NYE celebrations held on on the island?

Old 07-25-2022, 06:50 AM   #13

It's going to require ~83,000 Southwest points to book our flights...what a boon to get all of those flights for free for my husband via my companion pass!

Here's a tip, for anyone who might be able to use it now or in the future. I have the companion pass via my account due to signing up for a special credit card promo earlier this year. However, I didn't have enough points left to book all of these Hawaii flights (because I already spent them for lots of travel we are doing this summer...it's sure going to be a busy travel year!). Well, DH had a bunch of Southwest points in his account. I was able to book flights for ME via his account, using his points. Then I went into my account, found my flights under my account, and added him as my companion to all of my flights for free. Amazing that you can do this!

Old 07-25-2022, 06:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
It's going to require ~83,000 Southwest points to book our flights...what a boon to get all of those flights for free for my husband via my companion pass!

Here's a tip, for anyone who might be able to use it now or in the future. I have the companion pass via my account due to signing up for a special credit card promo earlier this year. However, I didn't have enough points left to book all of these Hawaii flights (because I already spent them for lots of travel we are doing this summer...it's sure going to be a busy travel year!). Well, DH had a bunch of Southwest points in his account. I was able to book flights for ME via his account, using his points. Then I went into my account, found my flights under my account, and added him as my companion to all of my flights for free. Amazing that you can do this!
What a great deal! I'm also surprised they let you do that. But take it and run! Nice job.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots of good suggestions...

One that we did was take the helicopter tour in Kauai.... it was worth it to us and I had to buy 4 tickets...

One that my wife liked was visiting the coffee plantation on Kauai also... an interesting tour and you can taste their coffee for free (at least my wife did)... she still has me buying their beans... for 12 years now!!!

If there is lava flowing on the big island then make plans to go see it at night... you will need flashlights as it is really dark out and you will be hiking on a lava field to get to the viewing site...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have been to the Hawaiian Islands many times.
You will enjoy your trip no matter what you do or where you go--They are beautiful!
Old 07-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #17

Thanks @SecondAttempt for several new ideas.
Another stop after the black sand beach going counterclockwise:
Whittington Beach park.
https://hawaiicounty.ehawaii.gov/cam...ils,57795.html
It's right before the highway climbs up southbound to some spectacular views.
There is an old sugar pier there jutting out into a really rowdy bit of surf. It is surprisingly rough and I can't imagine tying up to it, but that is part of the charm. Otherwise it is a little county park and a good place for a picnic lunch or what have you, stretch your legs a bit.
https://bigislandguide.com/whittingt...rk-honuapo-bay

Hilo zoo was cool. The tiger has a large enclosure, and the feral chickens come and go, and sometimes he helps himself to one for a between meals snack. I'm not big on animals in cages but this one was well done.
https://www.hilozoo.org/meet-our-animals/
Just up the road on the way to Volcano, is the Akatsuka Orchid Gardens. If you like orchids this is the spot. They display and sell countless varieties there. No need to purchase, you can walk through and see some spectacular displays.
https://akatsukaorchid.com/
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:01 PM   #18

A friend recommended the lava tube float trip on Kauaii... It was a ton of fun. You float from halfway up the mountain down to sea level. Through canals, tubes, etc. Apparently it's the path they used to transport sugar cane to the coast.
https://adventureinhawaii.com/kauai/...ing-adventure/

We also enjoyed snorkling up on the north shore - but it was summer... The south end sounds better in the winter.

I haven't been to the Big Island since the early 80's... I have fond memories of body surfing at Hapuna state park beach. That trip was in late December, BIG waves. I also enjoyed going through the Nahuka Thurston lava tube at the National Park. It involved a hike, though so that might be doable for your husband.
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvis...ike-nahuku.htm
Old 07-25-2022, 11:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Thank you so much everyone for all of the wonderful advice and suggestions!

So, I would definitely like to stay several nights on the Hilo side to reduce excessive driving to HVNP. I'm hoping we don't get rained out during the nights we plan to stay on that side of the island. No way to avoid that, though. Just have to roll the dice and hope we have clear weather!

We are meeting up with another couple when we go to Kauai. Ideally, I'd love to find a 2 bdr, 2 bath condo to rent on Kauai. Anyone have any suggestions of developments on Kauai that I should investigate? Sure do hope everything isn't booked up - travel is just crazy to plan any more!

I guess I should make double bookings on our rental car, too, in order to have a back up plan. I did read though that you have a better chance of success if you book your car through Costco, as the rental agencies are less likely to alieniate their customers since they represent a big chunk of their business. So, I will be investigating that option.

Kauai Beach Villas are nice. It’s near the airport, only a 15 minute drive. We had our timeshare there (dumped it!) but they do straight rentals. And there is still availability-I just checked. We liked the central location-you can drive north to Princeville and Hanalei Bay or south to Poipu. It’s on the beach, but it’s not a swimming beach. There is a park nearby, Lydgate Park, that has a beach and snorkeling in an area protected from the surf by a rock wall.

BTW, a sunset cruise to the Na Pali coast from Poipu on a catamaran is a great way to see the amazing cliffs. We liked it so much we did it twice. They speed you over to the cliffs, then you go back slowly, enjoying the sunset with wine and really good food.

On the big island, if you want amazing snorkeling, try Kahalu’u Beach Park. If you’re more adventurous, night snorkeling with the manta rays is a unique experience. It’s super easy to rent snorkel gear, even with vision correction if needed. If you snorkel a lot, you may want to rent a wetsuit jacket. It will make you more buoyant and provide sun protection, and the water in Hawaii is in the mid -70s, a bit chilly after awhile.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Another question:

We will be landing on the Big Island (Kona) on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. Suggestions for special NYE celebrations held on on the island?
NYE on the Big Island is usually spent with family and friends. It is one of only 3 days per year when fireworks are legal and they are extremely popular so everyone wants to take advantage of the opportunity. But only nonaerials are legal and you can't have them on the beach or public parks and stuff so these are mostly at private homes. And they can only be set off between 9 pm and 1 am. (But of course like everything else on the Big Island, most laws are treated as recommendations.)

Also, remember Hawaii is literally one of the last places on earth for New Years to happen! SO by the time it has happened here it is old news.

Alcohol sales must end at 11 PM so that puts a damper on parties at bars and restaurants.

Some of the Kohala resorts have special NYE luaus but that is about it. They do not always advertise much though.

Sure, there are plenty of private parties and stuff and you may find some special parties at restaurants and resorts for guests. But generally, as a tourist it is going to be hard to find anything. It might be best to just plan to celebrate privately on the beach yourselves and enjoy all the illegal fireworks around you.