Join Early Retirement Today

Airbnb experiences, we're new to this
Old 08-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We found a property in FLL on Airbnb website for Feb. 2020. I sent our pic, put a copy of my DL and signed up with them. I can't figure out if they want the full payment today or do I put a down payment and how to negotiate that. I'd prefer to pay a % now and a % when we move in. Is that how it works?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #2

Read their listing in detail. It should say how payment is to be made.

I would also suggest reading all the posted terms. They can be revealing. Sometimes, the rate posted is for just one person - and goes up if more than one person will be there. Similarly, check the cancellation terms. Some places have very strict cancellation policies.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Read their listing in detail. It should say how payment is to be made.

I would also suggest reading all the posted terms. They can be revealing. Sometimes, the rate posted is for just one person - and goes up if more than one person will be there. Similarly, check the cancellation terms. Some places have very strict cancellation policies.
I'm texting with owner/manager? to work out down payment or partial payment. I'm not charging $3500, then find out there's no refund or even partial refund. I understand they're holding their property off the market for 6 months. It's like buying a plane ticket...good luck for any refund there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

One good thing about AirBNB is that the cancellation terms are clearly spelled out on the listing (or they should be). But you should not have to pay 100% up front (unless your stay is very near term.)

For example, I booked a condo in FL for next March (not via AirBNB) and was only required to put 25% down, with the balance due 30 days before arrival.

On the other hand, last Spring we made a last minute trip to FL and booked a place just 2 weeks before traveling. In that case, I paid for the entire rental at the time of booking.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my experience you can contact the AirBnB owner/ manger (there is a place to do this on the website ) and negotiate terms especially for a longer term rental. I have negotiated price, deposit, cleaning fees, etc. Once you reach an agreement with the owner they then put it through the AirBnB website and you sign up through the website and pay the deposit. You still have to pay the AirBnB fees. Occasionally I find that the owner has their own website (Google the owner's name and the name of the name of the house) and that way you can avoid the AirBnb fees. I have stayed in maybe 20 AirBnB ( and VRBO places) over the years. Most have been great, but a few have been awful (even with good prior reviews) so there are no guarantees.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We found a property in FLL on Airbnb website for Feb. 2020. I sent our pic, put a copy of my DL and signed up with them. I can't figure out if they want the full payment today or do I put a down payment and how to negotiate that. I'd prefer to pay a % now and a % when we move in. Is that how it works?
I have never used Airbnb so I have to ask why do you ned to send a picture? And why would you ever give someone a copy of your DL?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #7

We just got back from a vacation and we used 2 air BNBs. Didn't have to send a driver's license for either. Both required a 50% deposit with the remainder the week before.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I have never used Airbnb so I have to ask why do you ned to send a picture? And why would you ever give someone a copy of your DL?
The drivers license requirement for the first rental stopped us in our tracks. TMI
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We’re about to do our 3rd Airbnb. 2 couples. Paid half down in January for a week in September in Canmore. Paying second half in a couple of weeks. Easy so far.

2nd Airbnb was a week in Sedona. 4 couples. Owner withdrew his property from Airbnb while we were setting up the deal. He wanted to rent it out on his own. Owner tried to raise the price from the Airbnb price, but we got it for the Airbnb price in the long run. Worked out ok. Initial deposit with remainder near trip time.

First was a house in Nashville. 3 couples. I remember the owner running a background check of some sort since we never used Airbnb before. Initial deposit with remainder near trip time.

Airbnb is a great way to go, but I find the pictures online to sometimes look better than the place actually is.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

To echo the above, read every single word on the listing. Should conoletelt spell out deposit, cancellation, and sometimes lodging tax is seperate and due in cash at moment of check-in. Yes ive seen it. Also, you will find properties cross posted on both vrbo and airbnb. Always pay thru the airbnb or v r b o website. Assume all the reviews are at least a star too generous. And if the place doeant match the ad, push back early and often. I had a 2 bedroom advertised unit tirn into a 1 bedroom with a single decorative pillow on the bed for 2 adults. No bueno.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I have never used Airbnb so I have to ask why do you need to send a picture? And why would you ever give someone a copy of your DL?
Because you have to in Western Europe. A copy of your passport actually.

Because AirBnB is vetting both sides. I take comfort in that vetting.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Are you bypassing Airbnb and rent directly from the property owner? I always pay for the rent through Airbnb, never directly to the owner. The terms for cancellation are spelled out for each property, and vary according to the owner's stipulation.

I used to have to pay in full to Airbnb, who then released the payment to the owner after the stay. Recently, Airbnb would charge 1/2 at reservation, then the remaining 1/2 a week or two before the stay.

And in Europe, the local laws often require the landlords to have the identity of the traveler, and they would take a photo of my passport with their smartphone when I check in. Hotels in Europe also make a photocopy of the guest's passport as a routine at check in.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #13

We have done a couple Airbnb and the payment terms can vary widely.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #14

We're locking in at a place that has an excellent location. Apartment a bit dated, but most are in Lauderdale by the Sea location. He's a new owner and has been quick with responses to my texts. We have 7 hours to confirm and pay 25% up front. We agreed on that. Owner is texting me. I want to be sure I'm paying through Airbnb. The link is in the text and on the website.

I'm good with vetting both sides. We were pre approved immediately. I don't even mind if I have to disinfect the place before moving in, the location is just about perfect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been using AirBNB/VRBO for about 20 years. What we have found is:
1) Only go with listings that have lots of comments. Be aware that the owner will review you as well as you reviewing the owner after the rental.
2) Payment and cancellation policy are on each listing and set by the owner, so they can be pretty random.
3) Treat the rental like you would if a friend was lending you their place. These are not hotels, they are peoples homes and investments. Generally they will be quite helpful but you can't treat them like a concierge. If you leave the place a mess, the review they give you may keep you from being able to rent a different place in the future.
4) Once you are in the place, read the rules sheet that they normally have in the place. There may be things like, please turn the dishwasher on before you leave, or put the towels in the wash before you leave, etc.

We enjoy using vacation rentals as the prices are better normally and you get a full kitchen. Hotels get old real fast.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikebike View Post
We have been using AirBNB/VRBO for about 20 years. What we have found is:
1) Only go with listings that have lots of comments. Be aware that the owner will review you as well as you reviewing the owner after the rental.
2) Payment and cancellation policy are on each listing and set by the owner, so they can be pretty random.
3) Treat the rental like you would if a friend was lending you their place. These are not hotels, they are peoples homes and investments. Generally they will be quite helpful but you can't treat them like a concierge. If you leave the place a mess, the review they give you may keep you from being able to rent a different place in the future.
4) Once you are in the place, read the rules sheet that they normally have in the place. There may be things like, please turn the dishwasher on before you leave, or put the towels in the wash before you leave, etc.

We enjoy using vacation rentals as the prices are better normally and you get a full kitchen. Hotels get old real fast.
+1 We've been renting AirBnB listings for a few years and have only had one hiccup. The owners cleaning crew got the date mixed up, so we arrived to an uncleaned rental. We found another place to stay for the night, the owner fixed the problem from the other side of the world, and reimbursed us for the night we rented elsewhere.

I like AirBnb because we can find some really unique rentals. We've stayed in a fire lookout tower, tree houses, yurts, and a variety of wonderful small cottages. This weekend we'll be staying in a remodeled fish cannery on a pier overlooking a river. These places are so much more memorable than a boring hotel.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Take a good look at the photos of the room. Is there plenty of storage? I found a wonderful AirBnB place in Savannah, or so I thought. Alas, there was no storage in the room, no drawers to put things in, no place to hang stuff up, etc. We literally lived out of our suitcase for 4 days. Not so good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
+1 We've been renting AirBnB listings for a few years and have only had one hiccup. The owners cleaning crew got the date mixed up, so we arrived to an uncleaned rental. We found another place to stay for the night, the owner fixed the problem from the other side of the world, and reimbursed us for the night we rented elsewhere.

I like AirBnb because we can find some really unique rentals. We've stayed in a fire lookout tower, tree houses, yurts, and a variety of wonderful small cottages. This weekend we'll be staying in a remodeled fish cannery on a pier overlooking a river. These places are so much more memorable than a boring hotel.
+1 (+ what likebike said).

Our upcoming Airbnb near the Grand Canyon is 50% at booking (past Feb), and the balance a week or two prior to check in(Sep). Very typical. Because its in a high demand location, the cancellation clause is a death sentence.

A couple of other points. Sometimes, check in can be interesting. In Europe, we had to meet a greeter on a couple of occasions. On one, our train was late and the wi-fi on the train sucked. We got the issue resolved, but it was last minute, hectic stuff. Also, mind the cleaning fees. They can sometimes make short stays rather pricey. But we have had great stays overall. We loved our riverfront stays in Europe for about the same price as the monotonous hotels. Many good stays here in the US.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The drivers license requirement for the first rental stopped us in our tracks. TMI
This is pretty much the standard and not just with "hotels" --in fact, it is the law in most states. Try to get on an airplane without Identification.

See for example:
https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...hotel-check-in
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #20

I booked West Palm Beach using AirBNB our first time ever but to our dismay, the host who was a super host closed down shop. Apparently, being airbnb host sounded cute but didn't cover the expenses...or who knows she could be selling.

Otherwise had good luck with homeaway, and VRBO in the past. At some point the CCs offer a reward cat of 5% back so we pulled the trigger on a 5 nighter at that time.

Blow the dough! I think we got our housing for like $100a night walking distance to beach.