Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Airbnb host cancelled my reservation
Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Airbnb host cancelled my reservation

I am really bummed. We have a trip planned this spring, a week in London, followed by 6 nights in Berlin. We booked apartments for both legs of the trip since we will have 6 people. This will be our first time using Airbnb. We got an email this AM (Tuesday) from the host in Berlin stating that our reservation is cancelled and Airbnb will notify us of this on Friday. So, should we wait until we get reimbursed to book another place? Anyone have experience with this? And yes, of course I am glad that we weren't cancelled the day we were due to arrive! If it was just DH and I we would stay in hotels, but we would prefer an apartment for so many of us.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would wait but not sure why it would take until Friday for you to get notified, as soon as the host cancels the reservation in the airbnb reservation system you should receive a notice. I had one reservation cancelled and as I recall the refund followed immediately after.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand the delay either. I guess I will have to wait until Friday. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
I am really bummed. We have a trip planned this spring, a week in London, followed by 6 nights in Berlin. We booked apartments for both legs of the trip since we will have 6 people. This will be our first time using Airbnb. We got an email this AM (Tuesday) from the host in Berlin stating that our reservation is cancelled and Airbnb will notify us of this on Friday. So, should we wait until we get reimbursed to book another place? Anyone have experience with this? And yes, of course I am glad that we weren't cancelled the day we were due to arrive! If it was just DH and I we would stay in hotels, but we would prefer an apartment for so many of us.
FWIW we just got back from a Europe trip and had planned to use ABNB the entire trip (Paris, Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome, Paris--last night). After three cities we bagged it. We found it too much of a hassle in terms of getting room keys etc (no kidding).

One leg we got in late they we were charged a 30 euro late fee (again, no kidding).

So that was it. Hotels at about the same price the rest of the trip. I can see in your case with six folks that might not be a good option.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get online and go for another property.

My only concern is that they charge your charge card for the whole trip and sit on the $ until your arrive at the property. Then they pay the owner.

London's one of those expensive towns where hotels are extremely expensive. Air BnB is a big money saver.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
FWIW we just got back from a Europe trip and had planned to use ABNB the entire trip (Paris, Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome, Paris--last night). After three cities we bagged it. We found it too much of a hassle in terms of getting room keys etc (no kidding).

One leg we got in late they we were charged a 30 euro late fee (again, no kidding).

So that was it. Hotels at about the same price the rest of the trip. I can see in your case with six folks that might not be a good option.
I'm kind of wondering if it is worth the hassle already......

I'm hoping there won't be any issues with the London leg of the trip, the host contacted me right away and sounded very friendly.

The issue with us for hotels is that there are 2 couples and two kids ages 12 and 14. The kids are too young to be staying by themselves in a hotel room, but are really too old to be stuffed into a room with mom and dad. And I'm not sure either one of them would like to share a room with their aunt and uncle. It also sounds like the hotels consider kids age 12 to be adults and from what I can see they don't allow 4 adults in a room.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Get online and go for another property.

My only concern is that they charge your charge card for the whole trip and sit on the $ until your arrive at the property. Then they pay the owner.
I guess I want to make sure that Airbnb actually does refund us, and that we don't end up having to pay for 2 simultaneous rentals. And I also want to make sure they don't charge us a cancellation fee. It doesn't look like there is a way to reach a human on the site.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

Its stories like these that have made me stay away from Airbnb. That said - I'm a huge fan of renting apartments rather than hotels... we had 11 different apartment rentals on our 9 week europe vacation. We used Homeaway - which is the same company as VRBO. There is a bit more protection for the renters from homeaway/vrbo than with airbnb.

We had a fabulous apartment (one of our favorites on our trip) in Berlin - but it was a 2 br so probably too big for your use.
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1555192
Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Its stories like these that have made me stay away from Airbnb. That said - I'm a huge fan of renting apartments rather than hotels... we had 11 different apartment rentals on our 9 week europe vacation. We used Homeaway - which is the same company as VRBO. There is a bit more protection for the renters from homeaway/vrbo than with airbnb.

We had a fabulous apartment (one of our favorites on our trip) in Berlin - but it was a 2 br so probably too big for your use.
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1555192
That is a beautiful apartment! That would be perfect for our needs, but unfortunately not available while we are there. Thanks for the link, now I will check out what else they have available.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #10

I booked through Homeaway - but the apartment was run by WayToStay. Our apartment in Barecelona was also WayToStay. Very professional company, no hassle checking in or out. I was pleased with their professionalism.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Rodi, I'm curious about there being more protection for renters with Homeaway. I thought there was more with Airbnb because they don't pay the vendor until 24 hours after check-in - so if you get there and there is no apartment, you call Airbnb to cancel the transaction. What does Homeaway do?
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
I suggest you contact airbnb right away and ask for the refund or at least ask what's going on.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #13

I think it's the multiple people I've heard about who had their rentals canceled last minute - some actually the day of or day before.

In reviewing my bookings from last summer - it looks like each had their own contract - rather than a standard contract from homeaway/vrbo.

I've heard, but can't verify, that if an owner double books or cancels with no notice, they are dumped off of Homeaway...
Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm kind of wondering if it is worth the hassle already......

I'm hoping there won't be any issues with the London leg of the trip . . .
It sounds to me that you just got unlucky. We've used Airbnb for years now in several different countries and never had a cancellation or really any problems at all. Yes, arranging keys can sometimes be more of a hassle without the benefit of a 24-hr front desk, but spending time in a real apartment is almost always miles more comfortable than the best hotel rooms.

As far as the cancellation, I'm not sure I understand. If the host actually cancelled it through Airbnb it seems as if you should have been notified immediately by Airbnb. It almost sounds as if they messaged you to tell you of their intention to cancel without actually canceling.

Personally I wouldn't wait on them. If the Airbnb site is still showing your reservation as active, I'd write to your host and ask them to formally cancel your booking. I'd also contact Airbnb and ask why the booking is still shown as live when the host has said they canceled.

Good luck.
Brian
Old 01-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....The issue with us for hotels is that there are 2 couples and two kids ages 12 and 14. The kids are too young to be staying by themselves in a hotel room, but are really too old to be stuffed into a room with mom and dad. And I'm not sure either one of them would like to share a room with their aunt and uncle. It also sounds like the hotels consider kids age 12 to be adults and from what I can see they don't allow 4 adults in a room.
We had adjoining rooms in London... one for us and another for our kids (16 and 12 at the time IIRC). We were at the Hotel Charing Cross. and found the location convenient.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
It sounds to me that you just got unlucky. We've used Airbnb for years now in several different countries and never had a cancellation or really any problems at all. Yes, arranging keys can sometimes be more of a hassle without the benefit of a 24-hr front desk, but spending time in a real apartment is almost always miles more comfortable than the best hotel rooms.

As far as the cancellation, I'm not sure I understand. If the host actually cancelled it through Airbnb it seems as if you should have been notified immediately by Airbnb. It almost sounds as if they messaged you to tell you of their intention to cancel without actually canceling.

Personally I wouldn't wait on them. If the Airbnb site is still showing your reservation as active, I'd write to your host and ask them to formally cancel your booking. I'd also contact Airbnb and ask why the booking is still shown as live when the host has said they canceled.

Good luck.

Brian

That's what concerns me the most is why the host emailed DH to say he was canceling the reservation but didn't do it immediately. He said he would do it Friday. I asked DH to ask the host to cancel it now, so we could get our refund, but for some reason DH wants to wait until Friday.

I have not found a way to contact anyone at Airbnb. They want you to conduct all business through the host and I have not found a way to call or email Airbnb staff directly.

In the meantime, I am also looking at hotels.....

Old 01-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've heard, but can't verify, that if an owner double books or cancels with no notice, they are dumped off of Homeaway...

With Airbnb I know that if you get three negative reviews you are kicked off the service as host for a certain time period (not sure what happens to your existing upcoming rentals). I suspect Airbnb does something similar with cancellations as this is really bad for business.

Cancellations by host show up automatically under reviews in Airbnb. I avoid any place where the host cancelled unless I have absolutely no alternative.

photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We decided not to brave another Airbnb and have booked hotel rooms near the Museum Island. We did find a hotel that had "family rooms" that sleep 4 so their family can stay together. After spending 7 nights in an apartment with 1 bathroom for 6 people it might be good to have a little less togetherness.

I am looking forward to not worrying about cancellations or arranging to pick up/drop off keys. The host for Airbnb had 27 properties and I looked and saw that many reservations had been recently cancelled. Perhaps it would be good to be wary of someone with so many properties to manage.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
gone traveling

Let me preface my remarks by disclosing I am 100% against Airbnb.

What reason did the host give for cancelling? It may be that they got caught renting illegally. A great many Airbnb listing are in fact illegal rentals. Airbnb doesn't care, they're just in it for the money. But you might want to care.

Having your reservation cancelled before you leave home is one thing. Having someone knock on the door while you are there and tell you to get out is another. It can and does happen. As for Berlin: "Berlin inspectors regularly check room-sharing sites to make sure no one is violating the rule. Residents are eager to help. In the first seven months after the ban's introduction, neighbors notified authorities of about 700 potentially illegal rentals, Kuehne said." Taken from: Europe cracks down on Airbnb, other room-sharing sites

This is an example of what you risk when renting from Airbnb. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2820644

You might also want to note the response of Airbnb to the person. Basically, Airbnb,'s response to everything is that they are responsible for nothing. You do not rent from them, you rent from the property owner. Airbnb's LEGAL position is that they just provide a listing service and are not responsible for what is listed, whether it is a legal rental or anything else that might go wrong.
OldPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

So, just to wrap this up - Airbnb gave us a refund over the weekend. They also offered us an additional 10% toward rebooking with them. We opted to go with a hotel instead so declined this. We still have the first week of the trip booked for an apartment in London through Airbnb, so hopefully that will work out fine. Thanks everyone.